Does the WRX have a limited slip differential?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does the WRX have a limited slip differential? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is the differential setup on the WRX please? Limited slip in the rear? Thanks....

What is the differential setup on the WRX please? Limited slip in the rear? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If it is a WRX and not an STi variant it has open front and middle diffs. It will have a limited slip rear if it is an earlier WRX, but not if it a later WRX.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I should have clarified WRX only. When did Subaru stop putting in limited slip for the rear year wise?

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe in 2008?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^correct.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: Does the WRX have a limited slip differential?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If it is a WRX and not an STi variant it has open front and middle diffs. It will have a limited slip rear if it is an earlier WRX, but not if it a later WRX.
    Interesting. I would classify the viscous center coupling as "limited slip."

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Interesting. I would classify the viscous center coupling as "limited slip."

I think you are right, because if it were anywhere else I'd not have considered it open. You're right.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not entirely true.... The 4EAT (auto transmissions) use a torsen (torque sensing) planetary gear center differential, which apparently can also be locked by a solenoid from the transmission controller
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX

I think those can be opened by pulling a fuse?
    Last edited by Sinister; 09-11-2012 at 08:54 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like it... and open it's a 45/55 tq split apparently

(sorry... edited your post instead of replying)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Not entirely true.... The 4EAT (auto transmissions) use a torsen (torque sensing) planetary gear center differential, which apparently can also be locked by a solenoid from the transmission controller
    FALSE!

Not really, just wanted to contradict you

Facebook me here

zax

Re: Does the WRX have a limited slip differential?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I think those can be opened by pulling a fuse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    It sounds like it... and open it's a 45/55 tq split apparently

(sorry... edited your post instead of replying)
    I'm confused here gents. To me, an "open" diff insinuates a simple pin and ring mechanism that distributes torque to either of two output shafts from a single input shaft. To add a limited slip mechanism to a differential suggests the addition of any device that disallows (or resists) a large torque bias between either output shaft (keeps torque evenly distributed). This can be accomplished with a viscous coupling, Torsen or any other torque sensing mechanical mechanism, clutch-type, Detroit locker, or any other exotic mechanism. Kevin you suggested the center diff on the 4EAT is a Torsen type. This is a mechanical locking mechanism that can evenly distribute torque in accordance to the torque bias ratio. If SD is indeed correct and the center LSD can be disabled with the pull of a fuse, I would suggest that the center LSD is a clutch type LSD similar to the DCCD. The planetary gearset is simply to achieve the uneven torque distribution under normal driving. FWIW the 5mt doesn't have a planetary gearset since the bias is 50/50 during normal operation.

Facebook me here

I'm confused here gents. To me, an "open" diff insinuates a simple pin and ring mechanism that distributes torque to either of two output shafts from a single input shaft. To add a limited slip mechanism to a differential suggests the addition of any device that disallows (or resists) a large torque bias between either output shaft (keeps torque evenly distributed). This can be accomplished with a viscous coupling, Torsen or any other torque sensing mechanical mechanism, clutch-type, Detroit locker, or any other exotic mechanism. Kevin you suggested the center diff on the 4EAT is a Torsen type. This is a mechanical locking mechanism that can evenly distribute torque in accordance to the torque bias ratio. If SD is indeed correct and the center LSD can be disabled with the pull of a fuse, I would suggest that the center LSD is a clutch type LSD similar to the DCCD. The planetary gearset is simply to achieve the uneven torque distribution under normal driving. FWIW the 5mt doesn't have a planetary gearset since the bias is 50/50 during normal operation.

I used to think I understood differentials. Clearly I need to go read some more articles.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX

I'll have to look into it again, but I believe the 4EAT uses a MPT (multi plate transfer) clutch as well as the planetary torsen center, and the vlsd in the rear. But I believe that the front is open. I cannot remember off the top of my noggin though
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Just looked it up. Apparently the 4EAT is an Active AWD which uses an open front, planetary center at a 45/55 split, and a MPT in the tailshaft with a VLSD in the rear.

Something else cool I found out... the 4EAT automatically shifts to 3rd gear during hard stops (ie ABS engagement) to prevent engine braking which causes unpredictability
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast