02 tranny swappin to 04?

This is a discussion on 02 tranny swappin to 04? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ive bin lookin for info everywhere on this subject , i need to know if i will have to change ...

02 tranny swappin to 04?

ive bin lookin for info everywhere on this subject, i need to know if i will have to change out front axles when i put my 04 tranny in my 02....tons of advice GOOD advice would be great.im a weekend racer with a budget and a very small shop.any tips or info would help me out tons.thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I suspect so because I think (think!) they switched genders. One way to find out is to try and "order" axles for both cars and see if the part numbers are different.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

dam!!!! ok well looks like its back to the lab again.i know they changed in the later model but im not sure about the early models.both of mine are early models.so i was hopin everything would work.my 04 project was lost due to failed factory brakes. and the tranny and engine are great still i would just do a whole swap but the engine in my 02 is complete stage 2 so im tryin to make the 04 tranny work.is it hard to switch out axle shafts and running gear?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you want to swap a later model trans into an earlier you will need the front axles, the 04 trans has axle stubs.