Kartyboy bushing Problem?

This is a discussion on Kartyboy bushing Problem? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Another quesion. After driving around all day today after the install, I first though "WOW the shifts are amazing" but ...

Kartyboy bushing Problem?

Another quesion. After driving around all day today after the install, I first though "WOW the shifts are amazing" but was in neutral. When I would start to drive it was still great but shifting 1st to second was kinda a B. Coming down from first then, feels like it doesnt want to go then into second. this all happens fast. but then when at a light everythig feels GREAT again. Nice and smooth shifts through all gears without blockage. Is this normal? And also on the front bushing It had some play from side to side, but figured it was supposed to be like that because I could not tighten the nut to the stud anymore. Please let me know
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just did my front and rear kartboy bushings on my 02 I haven't noticed any issues going from 1 to 2. I also don't remember any gaps on each end of the bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryouko View Post
    I just did my front and rear kartboy bushings on my 02 I haven't noticed any issues going from 1 to 2. I also don't remember any gaps on each end of the bushing.
    Its weird... shifts are amazing all around while stopped but while driving is where its gets a little harder

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I really don't know about the shifting issue. I have read more people say about downshifting from 2nd to 1st being alittle tough. As the case with mine. I just wanted to let you know that I believe the space in the bushing is normal mine had the same thing. I am not saying this is right, but I found a washer as close to the size of the bushing and the thickness that was needed. I put that in and was able to torque it to specs. I would say if you were to do that don't get a washer that is really thick. I was able to get one that was almost like it was made for that spot. Again this might not be right but I figured it's should be tight instead of being able to move alittle side to side. Good luck.
    Last edited by irvin787878; 09-02-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    I really don't know about the shifting issue. I have read more people say about downshifting from 2nd to 1st being alittle tough. As the case with mine. I just wanted to let you know that I believe the space in the bushing is normal mine had the same thing. I am not saying this is right, but I found a washer as close to the size of the bushing and the thickness that was needed. I put that in and was able to torque it to specs. I would say if you were to do that don't get a washer that is really thick. I was able to get one that was almost like it was made for that spot. Again this might not be right but I figured it's should be tight instead of being able to move alittle side to side. Good luck.
    Did putting that washer in change any feel?

I have a washer installed in mine and the feel was no different. Just makes me feel better that there isn't any slop in there any more. About the notchy feeling from first to second.. how many miles are on the car? If you're still under a thousand then its going to be notchy, remember too that you just removed the squishy bushings that used to hide that feeling from you... You're now feeling exactly what the shift forks are doing so the shifting while moving will again feel much less numb and a slight bit notchy. This will subside with time and mileage as the trans wears in but never completely goes away. Its a quirk of the ratio relationship of 1st and 2nd gear and how the synchro's are working.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    Did putting that washer in change any feel?

I don't know if it made a difference. I didn't drive it before I put the washer in. I noticed the space, took it back apart and installed the washer. I highly doubt it changed anything as stated by Mangostick. I also agree with everything else he said.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I have a washer installed in mine and the feel was no different. Just makes me feel better that there isn't any slop in there any more. About the notchy feeling from first to second.. how many miles are on the car? If you're still under a thousand then its going to be notchy, remember too that you just removed the squishy bushings that used to hide that feeling from you... You're now feeling exactly what the shift forks are doing so the shifting while moving will again feel much less numb and a slight bit notchy. This will subside with time and mileage as the trans wears in but never completely goes away. Its a quirk of the ratio relationship of 1st and 2nd gear and how the synchro's are working.
    Thanks man that makes me feel better. Im only at about 3000 right now.