Replaced the Clutch in my 06 WRX: A reflection more than a DIY - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Replaced the Clutch in my 06 WRX: A reflection more than a DIY within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Great write up and awesome garage setup!...

Great write up and awesome garage setup!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

did you use any kind of special tools or hammers to get the front axles back in? i'm like an inch from them being all the way in and they wont go any more.

I Support ClubWRX

Replaced the Clutch in my 06 WRX: A reflection more than a DIY

Quote Originally Posted by give_em_dirt View Post
    did you use any kind of special tools or hammers to get the front axles back in? i'm like an inch from them being all the way in and they wont go any more.
    No special tools. It took two of us, one pushing the axle in, and one pulling the lower a arm down so the ball joint didn't slip in until the axle was fully seated.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Awesome post man! I made an account on here just to post this. Haha. I just hit 86k on my 07 TR and am having to swap the clutch out this weekend. Super helpful.

06wrx4me, we seem to have the same auto personality. Your timing belt tutorial helped a ton, this will be a great reference as well! Keep the posts coming...

Now that the timing belt is replaced, I'm looking to the clutch in my 06 WRX wagon. Can you speak on how the clutch felt before the install? Mine feels like there is a small window of engagement and soft. (Pushing to the floor requires little effort.) I never have problems getting into gears or out, just felt weak to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmcmenam View Post
    06wrx4me, we seem to have the same auto personality. Your timing belt tutorial helped a ton, this will be a great reference as well! Keep the posts coming...

Now that the timing belt is replaced, I'm looking to the clutch in my 06 WRX wagon. Can you speak on how the clutch felt before the install? Mine feels like there is a small window of engagement and soft. (Pushing to the floor requires little effort.) I never have problems getting into gears or out, just felt weak to me.
    How many miles?

My clutch felt terrible, like I was crunching a cardboard box everytime I pushed it, and it was very stiff. It would slip at max power during a WOT pull in 3rd and 4th (my car was protuned Stage 2).

I had a friend with a bone stock 07 that felt the same way before he changed his.

I spoke with the local subaru tuner who advised me to change it when I had him change my in tank fuel filter. He said he had an 06 come in ( first year of new cutch style) that felt that way when he worked on something else on the car. A month later the owner had it towed back. Apparently the stiffness and crunchy feeling are the pressure plate fingers fatiguing, that owner had broke off a few before all hell broke loose and the spinning shrapnel took out the case on the front of the transmission.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I bought the car stock with 90k and now I'm at 123k over two years later (no idea if the car was mod-ed prior to my ownership). 3 years in march I believe....anywho, the clutch has always felt easy and soft. The only mods I've done are maintence. Nothing really pointing me towards anything failing, I would just like to have better feel. It seems favor the pedal starting off in 1st but thats about it. I should prob go to a meet and have someone else drive it....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmcmenam View Post
    I bought the car stock with 90k and now I'm at 123k over two years later (no idea if the car was mod-ed prior to my ownership). 3 years in march I believe....anywho, the clutch has always felt easy and soft. The only mods I've done are maintence. Nothing really pointing me towards anything failing, I would just like to have better feel. It seems favor the pedal starting off in 1st but thats about it. I should prob go to a meet and have someone else drive it....
    Could be the previous owner treated it nice being a wagon. From a stop put the car in 3rd gear and let the clutch out. If it starts to go or stall you've still got life, if nothing happens its definitely time. But its your call, 123k on a stock clutch is a good run IMO, but like this thread illustrates, its a PITA to do. All depends on how you are setup tool and facility wise.

I bought my old 06 new, and drove it hard from day 1, started modding at 15k miles, and took it to the drag strip a bunch of times. My clutch got used and abused. I think it started slipping at WOT at about 45k miles right before I went protune stage 2 and did a quarter mile pass at Sac Speedway. The first pass felt great and went 13.8 (5200RPM launch), the subsequent passes the car didn't pull as hard on the top side and were slower. I suspect it was slipping at high RPM's. Once I changed the clutch it was a night and day difference. People who had been riding in the car for 6 years even commented that it felt a lot faster.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

jel
    I just had to do this in my 2006 STI but I can't get the clutch to pressurize..... any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.