I am experiencing a grinding noise when I coast in gear.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I am experiencing a grinding noise when I coast in gear. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was driving home after getting all new tires installed on my manual WRX when I noticed that releasing the ...

I am experiencing a grinding noise when I coast in gear.

I was driving home after getting all new tires installed on my manual WRX when I noticed that releasing the gas is resulting in a light grinding noise. Does anyone have any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What gear and what rpm's? I've noticed the similar thing. If I'm in 1,2,3, and even 4th while coasting with some load on the tranny I hear what sounds like some grinding from the shifter. I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. Thought about getting the tranny fluid changed.
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

I have the same noise in 2nd when im decellerating. I only hear it noticable with the windows down. Doesnt sound pleasant ether.

I have the same noise while coasting in 2nd gear. Only 1400 miles on my 2013 WRX.

Re: I am experiencing a grinding noise when I coast in gear.

Grinding like a bottle cap stuck in the disposal? Or could it be gear whine? I noticed considerable more transmission gear whine after I replaced the shifter bushings. Are you using the stock shift and bushings?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I have the factory installed STI short throw, but I was told it has the WRX stock bushings. It is definitely not a gear whine because I can hear that as well at times. It is more like a soft grinding/rubbing. It is very consistently timed and is related to engine rpm. I think a good comparison is steel wool being rubbed on a metal pan or something. I hear it mostly during deceleration, but the SPT catback could be masking the sound during acceleration.

I Support ClubWRX

Could probably be the heat shield rattle. I swear that thing is made of tin. It's mostly heard during deceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear but in my experience it was mostly in 2nd. Is the noise coming from the engine bay on the right side?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Could probably be the heat shield rattle. I swear that thing is made of tin. It's mostly heard during deceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear but in my experience it was mostly in 2nd. Is the noise coming from the engine bay on the right side?
    Hmm good guess. That's right where mine is coming from. I only notice it in 2nd gear while decelerating. I have an appt at the dealer to get that and another rattle checked out tomorrow. I'll suggest they start there. Mine has the SPT heat shield on it though

My car is experiencing a girlfriend noise when coasting in gear. It goes "OhthankgodOhthankgodOhthankgod."
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Also hear this same "grinding" noise decelerating in 2nd gear every day as I'm slowing down on my street to pull into my driveway. Not quite sure, I've considered it being a heat shield but wouldn't know where to look. This a common problem to just ignore, or is there anything to fix the heat shield aspect of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    My car is experiencing a girlfriend noise when coasting in gear. It goes "OhthankgodOhthankgodOhthankgod."
    Does she know you are sharing her 2nd gear wine w the world? Lol... But isn't the 2nd gear noise pretty normal on GR's? Keep us posted OP

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Also hear this same "grinding" noise decelerating in 2nd gear every day as I'm slowing down on my street to pull into my driveway. Not quite sure, I've considered it being a heat shield but wouldn't know where to look. This a common problem to just ignore, or is there anything to fix the heat shield aspect of it?
    Getting an aftermarket heatshield will fix the problem. I got a Grimmspeed heat shield & the sound is gone.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Getting an aftermarket heatshield will fix the problem. I got a Grimmspeed heat shield & the sound is gone.
    Do you know which shield I would be replacing, just so I know what to search for? Or maybe a picture of where to locate the heatshield. Sorry if these are asinine questions.

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo heatshield is what you are looking for. It is situated right above the turbo on the right side of the car under the IC.

This is the stock heat shield

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The turbo heatshield is what you are looking for. It is situated right above the turbo on the right side of the car under the IC.

This is the stock heat shield
    Thanks much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast