5th gear popping out =\
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 5th gear popping out =\ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I'm cruising in 5th gear sometimes in pops out... Is it because I have a short shifter or is ...

5th gear popping out =\

When I'm cruising in 5th gear sometimes in pops out... Is it because I have a short shifter or is that the start of my tranny going out in 5th gear?! =\

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! First off, what year is your car, how many miles, etc? What shifter do you have?

For reference, I have an '03 bugeye with 95k and a Cobb short throw shifter myself, and I've never had this problem, but 5th gear is pushing the shifter linkage very close to the metal boot plate. Take off the shift know and center console trim, then run through the gears with the car off. Do you see any contact between the linkage and metal ring?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

It's an 03 wrx & about 93k and it's a Cobb short shifter. So I should look to see if it's hitting?

I Support ClubWRX
    I would. It's unusual for 5th gear to go out on these cars, so I'd start with the linkage first and go from there. 1st and 2nd are the most common failures from what I've seen.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

And what do I do if there hitting? And thanks for the advise I'm new at this

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to either adjust the shifter for a slightly longer throw (thereby lowering the linkage enough to clear the plate), or file down the plate itself. You can follow Cobb's instructions by following THIS LINK [PDF Link].
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.