Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Stage 2 Clutch Questions?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Drews 
#1 ·
so i just went stage 2 on my Wrex, just got the car back today, and i was expecting it to feel completely different but im having a bit of trouble having a smooth start from a dead stop, i figgure part of the chatter is just me getting used to the way the new clutch engages, but is it partially due to it not being broken in yet?

also what are the do's and dont's for breaking in a new clutch? this would be my first time breaking one in.

thanks for your help in advance!

#3 ·
the stage two was recomended to me by a good friend who owned a number of subarus, i just took him at his word ( hindsight is always 20/20 :/), and to my knowledge they just resurfaced the flywheel, i normaly do all the work on my car myself but in this case i took it to a shop to have it done.

#4 ·
It was probably overkill for what you have, but that depends on your mods. Speaking of mods, could you list them here or on your profile so that we can help better in the future?

Be careful with that clutch though, any harsh sudden loads on the trans (dropping the clutch, excessive launching) increases your risk of gear stripping, stronger clutches such as Stage 2 clutches further increase this risk.

If you're getting clutch chatter it could be a result of a botched resurfacing job. Could also be that the clutch disk is leaving deposits on the flywheel, or that the clutch disk itself is defective. I'd contact the garage that did the job and see what their warranty coverage is and for how long. If it doesn't go away, it needs to be addressed.

#5 ·
Just as info, Subaru recommends that you replace your flywheel every time the clutch is replaced. Some people have had success with resurfacing, but others have not, I'm thinking this is one of those unsuccessful ones. If the problem is because of the flywheel having deposits (due to hot spotting that wasn't completely removed by the resurfacing), it should probably be replaced.

#6 ·
When do you hear this chatter? When the clutch is disengaged, slipping, or engaged. A small part of me wants to say it could be a throw out bearing. Maybe the shop tried to save money by not putting one in?

What was your friends reasoning for going with a stage 2? All the stuff i hear about gears and diffs exploding, a stronger clutch wouldnt be something i would wanna put in. Unless of course called for to match engine output.

#8 ·
If they don't replace a throwout bearing, which comes with every clutch kit I've ever seen, I would not be taking my car back there again.

Clutch delay valve maybe?
That doesn't sound like his issue. Those are more so you can't dump the clutch as hard.

OP: Switching to a stiffer clutch is a huge change from OEM. If you're getting hard starts, try giving the car more revs. I'm on an ACT 6 puck, sprung clutch w/HD PP and my car doesn't like to start smoothly if I'm under 1500rpms. It's probably just the nature of your clutch. Although know exactly what type of clutch it is would help.

#9 ·
Break it in for a week and see if your not used to it by then. I'll let you drive my buddy's 5.0 with a monster stage 4 clutch or his beater 98 gt with a king cobra clutch.. Your clutch will feel like butter lol.

#10 ·
Bro, he wants to drive something fast, that's why he's got a Subaru. Stupid. :rotfl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.