02 WRX Clutch Replacement? I have a few questions regarding a clutch job on a WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Clutch Replacement? I have a few questions regarding a clutch job on a WRX within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The car has 88,000 miles on it and recently the clutch has been burning and smells really bad. My question ...

02 WRX Clutch Replacement? I have a few questions regarding a clutch job on a WRX

The car has 88,000 miles on it and recently the clutch has been burning and smells really bad. My question is what brand makes the stock clutch for a 02 wrx? Is it Exedy, or a different brand? I called around today and several different mechanic shops quoted me $900 just for the clutch that doesn't include the flywheel and one of the dudes said it would be an extra $300 if they couldn't resurface the flywheel. My total estimate was $1500 to get just the clutch replaced that includes labor. The dude also told me that since it's a turbocharged car it has to have a different clutch than a "normal" car. Can anyone give me input on the situation I'm in. I really just wanna know what company makes the stock clutches for a 02 WRX. I'm just really confused cuz I can find clutches online for cheap but some people have told me as well you're better to pay the $900 for a clutch then to get some rip of scam deal. Which I tried explaining parts online are always going to be cheaper than if you were to buy them at a mechanic shop. The clutch I was looking at getting was the exedy KSB03 replacement clutch would this be a good clutch? Also what is the best flywheel to put in these type of transmissions? Preferably I want to just stick with completely stock since I don't plan to go crazy with performance mods for a couple more years. Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Exedy OEM replacement is what I would recommend, so you're on the right track there. That mechanic is an idiot. The clutch is like any other clutch, just made with different materials so it holds better, then again that may have been what he was talking about.

Exedy makes clutch parts for MANY car manufacturers, they're a very trusted brand. 02's are very sensitive to the weight of the flywheels, so be sure you take that into account when you decide on one. I'd recommend just an OEM replacement on that as well.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

The KSB03 I bought for 170-ish from am-autoparts is single sprung. And from reading up on them... most will be too.
    The OE clutch disk is double sprung, without the second set of springs. There is a good chance you will get deceleration clutch noise. So I've read. Youtube makes the noise seem tolerable... so I'm keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Exedy OEM replacement is what I would recommend, so you're on the right track there. That mechanic is an idiot. The clutch is like any other clutch, just made with different materials so it holds better, then again that may have been what he was talking about.

Exedy makes clutch parts for MANY car manufacturers, they're a very trusted brand. 02's are very sensitive to the weight of the flywheels, so be sure you take that into account when you decide on one. I'd recommend just an OEM replacement on that as well.
    So just to clarify I got quoted from this mechanic $900 for a clutch and I had someone look on marshal and that estimate for a clutch kit was $800 the clutch I was looking at online on (amazon) to be entirely precise was $176.99 I think I'll be just fine with that but its got me kinda sketched out due to the price. So to clarify as long as its a exedy oem replacement it should hold up good? I just don't want to have to have someone pull the tranny and replace it only to have it last 6 months. lol. Btw thanks for the help you given so far.

I Support ClubWRX
    Did the quote from the mechanic include labor? Because that would be a reasonable price for parts + labor, but not for just parts. So long as you know how to drive a manual (and with 88k on the original clutch it sounds like you do), you shouldn't have any issues with longevity, especially when you're mostly stock.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

The first mechanic that quoted me $900 said that would be just for the clutch, he then told me for parts + labor it would be a total estimate of $1,500 the only mods I have right now are CBE... after I replace the clutch I plan to do a downpipe and uppipe and maybe a air intake. so with these mods I plan to do the oem should still hold up fine correct?

The oem clutch*

I Support ClubWRX
    Stage 2 will be just fine with that clutch. Be sure you get a retune with that hardware to get all you can out of it.

$900 is WAY too much for clutch hardware, unless you're talking some outrageous upgrade that you don't need. Even for Subaru OEM parts at MSRP that's too high. Sounds like that mechanic is trying to take you for a ride.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Haha I w as thinking the same thing. People were telling me I need to spend that much, and that $176.99 for a clutch was a bad idea cuz its a "generic" clutch would you say $176.99 is around the right price for a oem replacement clutch? Also I got quoted $470 for a pro tune from a tuning shop is that about average?

I Support ClubWRX
    And what is wrong with a generic clutch? Like I said, Exedy makes the clutch disks that are used in many cars straight from the factory, so what is the difference? It isn't some off-brand ebay crap.

That price is just right for an OEM replacement from Exedy on Amazon. Other retailers sell the same thing for $60+ more. Those retailers are more likely to see my business than Amazon, though, personally. But if you enjoy buying from Amazon, it's perfectly fine.

As for the tune, that's about average pricing, even a little on the low side. Who is it from?
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

The tuner shop is called "the boost creep ltd" If you google them you should be able to find their website. One last question about the clutch replacement how much maximum would you pay for just the clutch kit nothing else no labor or anything?

I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing more than Subaru charges at MSRP (~$690 including friction disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, AND flywheel), you can order Subaru genuine parts from sites like Subaru Parts Warehouse - Subaru Parts - Subaru Performance Parts with online discounted rates, which will save money. But deals can be found on the Exedy OEM clutch kits all over the web.

So with the prices I just showed you above including the flywheel directly from Subaru, you can see that mechanic is trying to sell you something you obviously don't need. I'd recommend ordering the parts yourself then taking it to a garage you trust to get the work done.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Yeah that's probably what I'll do cuz by what it sounds like this mechanic is probably trying to sell me a performance clutch. Which for one I don't need that, and for a second reason if you do a clutch upgrade like that I heard it will do some damage to your transmission over time and eventually the tranny will go out.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's more that the clutch exacerbates any existing problems in shock loads. So if you are aggressive at starts, or if you drop the clutch (speed shift) going into other gears, you increase the chances of stripping gears. You want the weakest point in your drive train to be your clutch, not your gears. The OEM setup addresses this, upgraded clutches remove that cushion Subaru intended.

A careful driver can use an upgraded clutch, likely without issue, but increasing your chances of gear stripping for no reason other than to say you have a "performance" clutch is just silly.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Yeah you made a good point there. I was trying to explain to some people kinda the same concept, I said I'd rather have to pay to get another clutched replaced 50-80k down the road then to have to replace a transmission. Eventually I wanna go with ppg gearbox what are your opinions on that? The only reason I would go with that is if I ever intended on making 400-500 + hp. I might not intend to do that with my wrx that's a daily driver but maybe build a race car solely for the race track down the road. Like get a sti for the track and use my wrx for road use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast