Perfect Shifts....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Perfect Shifts.... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How many perfect shifts would you say you have on average? Ive been driving my 09' wrx now for a ...

Banned

Perfect Shifts....

How many perfect shifts would you say you have on average? Ive been driving my 09' wrx now for a couple years, some days I'll be on point but some days I'm off a bit.

This was my first manual car, and i have improved a lot over time, but I would say 50% of my shifts are perfect, the others arent bad. I seem to have the most trouble going from 1st to second. I was wondering what your experiences were, am i the only one, or are these cars more difficult than others to achieve perfect shifts?

Thanks guys, Im new here

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What do you consider a perfect shift?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Perfect shifting as is the seemless right?
    Don't feel too bad. The thing about our 5speeds is that 1st is wayyyy to short and 2nd is wayyyy to tall, it's been covered a bit.

Slow it down, I let the clutch slip just a bit more when going to 2nd when I have passengers. clutch hates it, but i get praises because of it.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Ok, that makes sense. 2-3-4-5 are a lot easier to get a smooth shift. Yes by perfect I ment seemless, when you cant feel it at all, no jerking motion.

If you feel like focusing all the time and know the basics of rev-matching, it's not too hard.

That said, especially when I'm driving on my own, I don't. So my shifts are not "perfect" very often haha. I do always rev-match on down shifts though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    If you feel like focusing all the time and know the basics of rev-matching, it's not too hard.

That said, especially when I'm driving on my own, I don't. So my shifts are not "perfect" very often haha. I do always rev-match on down shifts though.
    Can some explain rev match. I bought my wrx 2 months ago and this car was my first stick. And loving every minute of it.

98% of my shifts are perfect, but then again I've been driving manuals for over 20 years across many different vehicles and millions of miles.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brew04 View Post
    my bad

Rev matching is exactly what it sounds like..you blip the throttle when shifting down a gear so you match the RPM going into the gear that it will be at when you let the clutch out. So it won't be to harmful for the Clutch and tranny. Plus it'll be a less jerky ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never shift perfectly. What's a clutch again?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I never shift perfectly. What's a clutch again?
    The dead pedal that moves.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    The dead pedal that moves.
    Ohhh that third pedal? I thought it was the parking brake pedal. I usually just push the shifter as hard as I can until it just goes into a gear.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ohhh that third pedal? I thought it was the parking brake pedal. I usually just push the shifter as hard as I can until it just goes into a gear.
    You can really hear the turbo spool up when you do that.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post

Im the same. I've gotten good at rev matching downshifts. Is there anything more satisfying than hitting a perfectly rev matchex downshift right before entering a corner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast