Front diffy? tranny? cv axle? help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Front diffy? tranny? cv axle? help! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 02 wrx started making a nice grinding/clunking noise up front. It all started when backing out of a parking ...

Front diffy? tranny? cv axle? help!

My 02 wrx started making a nice grinding/clunking noise up front. It all started when backing out of a parking spot. Before I parked I noticed nothing, but when I started backing up it made some nasty clunking noises and felt like it was binding up. It did it a little bit in first also but after that it didn't bind up any more, just makes a scraping noise. The noise doesn't stop when its in neutral or when I Have the clutch in. It keeps doing it when the car is off and rolling. Btw its a brand new clutch. Both of my cv axle boots are torn I don't know if that would be anything but they definatley need replaced. Any ideas??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Bad CV joint makes a clicking noise when turning. A worn out center diff will make a grinding noise when turning sharp and feels like the drive-train is binding up. You might need to get the car up on a lift and try turning the wheels independently to see where the problem is.

Yes ill definatley have to get it off the ground to check it out. The tranny fluid is full and clean so there's a good sign. The noise doesn't change at all depending on how sharp I turn so I'm kinda starting to think maybe its a wheel bearing? Thanks a ton!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Bad wheel bearings make like a humming noise when coasting in a straight line.. I'm dealing with that right now.

Have you figured out this problem yet, or does anyone else know what it is? i have the same exact problem it sounds like and the mechanic doesn't even know where to look.

I see this post is from july, but it just happened to me. Just like you my car was fine prior to me backing up. I deliver pizzas and i was backing out of a customers driveway when i noticed it. My garage i usually go to wont even attempt to tear in to it and see whats up. They said it was transmission related. They also said they were able to duplicate the noise by turning the axle with the wheels off. I am having a second opinion on it tomorrow and will relate that info.

Quote Originally Posted by subiedoo7 View Post
    Have you figured out this problem yet, or does anyone else know what it is? i have the same exact problem it sounds like and the mechanic doesn't even know where to look.

I've seen an axle so bad that it binds and grinds whilejust driving. As soon as you get it rolling it was better

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.