2002 wrx impreza

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx impreza within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Do the transmissions hold under a lot of boost ? If not what should I do to make it stronger ...

2002 wrx impreza

Do the transmissions hold under a lot of boost ? If not what should I do to make it stronger ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Under a lot of boost? I fail to see how a transmission has anything to do with boost.

The 2002 WRX transmissions have a reputation for being "weak," though honestly most of this reputation is thanks to abusive AWD launching. Remember, it's torque that kills transmissions, not power. Since the 2002-2005 WRX has the 2.0L motor (lacking torque), you're in luck.

If you want a stronger transmission, you have very few options. You can 1.) replace the transmission or 2.) rebuild the transmission. There IS one trick, however. It involves effectively gearing down your final drive ratio:

How to make your car faster and reduce the stress on your transmission - NASIOC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on how you drive it. I drove with a stock 02 5mt for about 20,000 miles with 306whp and an ACT HDSS clutch and when I pulled the gears out they looked virtually brand new. Some people will break the transmission at stock power levels.

Aside from that, boost doesn't really equal power, so I'm a little unsure what exactly you're asking.