03 WRX Clunking/Binding coming from front drivetrain

This is a discussion on 03 WRX Clunking/Binding coming from front drivetrain within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For the past few days my car was making a loud whirring..grinding...or whining noise from what sounded like right behind ...

03 WRX Clunking/Binding coming from front drivetrain

For the past few days my car was making a loud whirring..grinding...or whining noise from what sounded like right behind the dash in the middle. This noise was much worse when decelerating than accelerating but made it either way...it was very minimal in neutral or when the clutch was pressed in but was still barely there. Well today I go to the store and come back home..while rolling backward into my parking spot in neutral it made a loud clunk and stopped dead. I limped it about 50 feet in 1st to another spot, it was kind of clunking and binding randomly the whole way. I just backed it up in neutral and reverse...it made it to the driveway but was still clunking and binding randomly. I don't think its the tranny because its shifting fine and makes no difference whether its in gear or not at this point. Does anyone know exactly what this is or what this could be? Also does anyone know if I attempt to drive it to the shop can it really screw something else up or just make whats broken worse?

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I hate to say this, but that sounds like your front/center differential. If you're feeling binding (especially when turning), it's your diff. I would drain your transmission fluid (remember the front/center diff shares the same oil bath as the transmission) and look for chunks of metal in the oil and on the magnetic drain plug. Chances are you grenaded your diff.

Incidentally, how many miles are on your Bugeye and when was the last time the transmission fluid was changed? I'm going to make the assumption that the car is a manual transmission.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

It has almost 104,000 on it now and I had the fluid changed at the dealership at exactly 100,000 so it hasn't been long at all. The fluid is still full and looks perfect. I didn't really notice any difference at all when turning for the few days I could drive it. I'm still going to assume it is the front/center diff? And is it a terrible idea to attempt to drive it somewhere I can work on it at?