How long will dying transmission last?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on How long will dying transmission last? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've taken my car to a few places and they all say the same thing: I need a new/rebuilt transmission. ...

Banned

How long will dying transmission last?

I've taken my car to a few places and they all say the same thing: I need a new/rebuilt transmission. The thing is, it doesn't feel like it's getting worse, and as long as I drive it like an Impreza, it drives fine. If I try to drive it like a WRX that's when I have issues. I can't really afford to do the transmission yet and am still thinking about selling the car in a few months. If I don't beat on it, will it last?

Also, why is the only time I hear the strange sounds when I floor it? Under normal driving conditions it usually doesn't make any strange sounds. I can still drive it fast, I just can't drive it hard to make it go fast.

And lastly: is there any place I can get a transmission for the car cheap? All the quotes I've gotten so far with labor are around $3,000. That's way pricey to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry if this sounds rude, but how would anybody on a forum know the answer? It could break today or it could last 100,000 miles.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Sorry if this sounds rude, but how would anybody on a forum know the answer? It could break today or it could last 100,000 miles.
    Assuming there's anyone on the forum that has more knowledge of a car than I do, I would assume someone has had hte issue before.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    Assuming there's anyone on the forum that has more knowledge of a car than I do, I would assume someone has had hte issue before.
    Even if anyone had the same problem, there is no way to know the extent of the damage, or how the infinite variables will play on its lifespan.

How long will I live?

Banned
    Even if anyone had the same problem, there is no way to know the extent of the damage, or how the infinite variables will play on its lifespan.

How long will I live?
    Dude, go troll somewhere else and let people who might know answer. People like you are what make forums annoying.

I Support ClubWRX
    Dude, go troll somewhere else and let people who might know answer. People like you are what make forums annoying.
    Ummm......care to revise that statement? I didn't say anything to deserve that.

Banned
    Ummm......care to revise that statement? I didn't say anything to deserve that.

Yeah, you did. This is a forum for people looking for help. If you go on someone's thread and start in about "How's anyone supposed to know the answer?" you make the forum look like a wasteland of people just poking around doing nothing. There are people here that could build a car from the ground up. Just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean you need to post that no one knows the answer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, you did. This is a forum for people looking for help. If you go on someone's thread and start in about "How's anyone supposed to know the answer?" you make the forum look like a wasteland of people just poking around doing nothing. There are people here that could build a car from the ground up. Just because you don't know the answer doesn't mean you need to post that no one knows the answer.
    Ok, I've been nice up until this point.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT. Posting "How long will my damaged transmission last" is like asking for the next winning lottery numbers. I was simply trying to let you know THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER!

Now, I know you are fairly new here so I will be as friendly as I can with this warning. Lose the attitude or I will remove you from the forum. This is an official warning.

-TR

Banned
    Ok, I've been nice up until this point.

YOU ARE AN IDIOT. Posting "How long will my damaged transmission last" is like asking for the next winning lottery numbers. I was simply trying to let you know THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER!

Now, I know you are fairly new here so I will be as friendly as I can with this warning. Lose the attitude or I will remove you from the forum. This is an official warning.

-TR
    So if asking a question about the mechanics of a WRX isn't the appropriate thing to ask on the WRX forum, where should I ask it? How about the Toyota forums? Would they know about a WRX? Or maybe I should check the Bank of America forums? Do they have intimate knowledge of the WRX?

Freakin mods acting like the babies on NinjaVideo. You could just skip the question and go on to something you could answer. You're basically publicly stating there are no mechanics here on the forum and no one here has enough transmission knowledge to answer. If this were a computer forum and you asked me about a dying video card or power supply, having been trained in computers, I could easily answer your question. I mean if the WRX is a car that just may or may not make it and no one knows for sure, then it's also saying it has crappy mechanics since there's no telling when it will die. Completely up to the Subaru gods, right?

I Support ClubWRX
    So if asking a question about the mechanics of a WRX isn't the appropriate thing to ask on the WRX forum, where should I ask it? How about the Toyota forums? Would they know about a WRX? Or maybe I should check the Bank of America forums? Do they have intimate knowledge of the WRX?

Freakin mods acting like the babies on NinjaVideo. You could just skip the question and go on to something you could answer. You're basically publicly stating there are no mechanics here on the forum and no one here has enough transmission knowledge to answer. If this were a computer forum and you asked me about a dying video card or power supply, having been trained in computers, I could easily answer your question. I mean if the WRX is a car that just may or may not make it and no one knows for sure, then it's also saying it has crappy mechanics since there's no telling when it will die. Completely up to the Subaru gods, right?
    Are you really that inept?

There is nobody on this planet that can answer your question.

Banned
    Are you really that inept?

There is nobody on this planet that can answer your question.
    So no question about a part in the car can be answered by anyone in the forum? So what kinds of transmission questions can people here answer? What color to get?

come on guys dont fight

I Support ClubWRX
    So no question about a part in the car can be answered by anyone in the forum? So what kinds of transmission questions can people here answer? What color to get?
    I can answer a multitude of transmission questions as I have personally rebuilt many.

You're question cannot be answered. You have a transmission with worn components. You may have worn gears, chipped gears, bad bearings, worn plates in the center diff, a worn front diff, bad thrust washers, etc etc. If you want an answer, remove the transmission, disassemble the transmission and find the worn/damaged items. At that point you can place an approximate guess on how long it would have lasted under a single load. Now once you add different variables, you still could tell for sure how long it would last. You are talking about a component that has hundreds of moving parts that could wear or break.

Your trans could last until tomorrow or 100,000 miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    After further calculations, your transmission will last exactly 1347.4 miles under light driving. If you are heavy on the pedal, it will last precisely 619.2 miles. If you park the car it will last forever. If you drain the fluid out, it will last 32.7 miles.

Better?
    Last edited by Trainrex; 12-29-2011 at 09:43 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Teikyo...

There are certain things that we on a forum can help diagnose. There are others that are impossible.

We cannot diagnose what is wrong with your transmission, with the information given, and predict how long it will last. It's not only impossible, but it would be irresponsible for us to do that.

If you're looking for someone to say "it's okay... Just don't drive it hard"... I'll tell you this... It needs rebuilt apparently... And just like anything else... The harder you are on it... The quicker it will go out. We don't know what is wrong though, and cannot predict the outcome.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast