Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, as a lot of you know I have a 2011 WRX sedan. I was wondering if I could ...

Exclamation Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy?

Hey guys, as a lot of you know I have a 2011 WRX sedan. I was wondering if I could get your opinions/advice concerning various short throw Shifters.

I currently have the SPT short throw shifter along with the SPT shifter bushing. I also just ordered the Kartboy rear shifter bushing.

I basically have two questions for you guys. 1. Are the Kartboy front shifter bushings a replacement for the SPT bushing or are they something different? 2. If I was to buy another short throw, i.e Cobb or kartboy, would it still be as simple an installation? Or how it work considering I've already got the SPT installed? Would I have to get the entire SPT system removed or is the aftermarket short throw just a simple 'bolt on' as such.

Thanks for your time guys, appreciate all feedback!
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    They're pretty much going to do the same thing if I had to guess. Usually installs of them are pretty easy, just tedious like anything else. I'd guess you'd be pretty happy with just your front and rear shifter bushings. I have the factory short throw shifter and the KB front and rear shifter bushings with the KB black aluminum shift knob. I love this setup personally, don't really think I'd want much else in terms of that.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

yeah, I'll prob keep the SPT shifter, but are the front Kartboy bushings a replacement for the SPT shifter bushing? Cause I saw a pic of the SPT bushing on genuine Subaru parts, and it just seems to be another rubber bushing... Which kinda sucks. Was just wondering if it's worth ordering the front kartboy bushing. And what about the Kartboy pilot bushings? Are they worth it??

Stu what's that 'Pro-Clip' you git in your mods?? And did you notice any decrease in performance after going to those heavier wheels?? I know it's off-topic, but just curious

Build Thread Beloww:

I love my full kartboy setup.. but if you're going to keep the spt.. definitely use the KB bushing kit. You'll never look back
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'm certainly not set on keeping the SPT, just wondering how it would work if I were to get another one, either the Cobb or Kartboy. Take a look at the 5MT SPT short throw shifter on subaru website under accessories, it looks completely different in comparison to either of the other two Shifters I mentioned. So I'm wondering, if I already have that entire spt shifter assembly installed, is it still just a simple swap or does that entire assembly have to be removed, the original OEM shifter be reinstalled, and then the Cobb or Kartboy be installed?

Build Thread Beloww:

Nope, all you'd have to do is change the shifter stick. Pretty quick n simple. The spt assy is a little different than the factory one but only in slight geometry changes.. they otherwise both do the same job. I'd keep what you have and change the bushings first. Once you do that drive it a little while and then decide what you want to do from there. You might be happy with it, in that case no sense in changing it further.

My factory non-short throw was much improved with just bushings, so they really do make a huge difference. If I had already gotten the factory short throw I might not have changed the stick.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Replace all four bushings: front/rear shifter stay, shift linkage, pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    My factory non-short throw was much improved with just bushings, so they really do make a huge difference. If I had already gotten the factory short throw I might not have changed the stick.
    I'd have convinced you otherwise
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    your ego also doesn't fit through doorways lol..

For the money though, the KB shifter is the cats rear. It makes things tight without being annoying.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    your ego also doesn't fit through doorways lol...
    I beg to differ

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I beg to differ

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    ha.. ok so maybe you can turn it sideways. lol.. bottom line is that if I was happy with what I had I'd not have changed it regardless of any "convincing" anyone could have attempted. Which is why I still say to the OP.. change the bushings, if you like it.. leave it be. If you want it tighter go Kartboy
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove for about 10K miles on the SPT short throw shifter with kartboy front and rear bushings. I come from a Z, so I still felt the throw was way too long for me. Just 2 weeks ago, I bought and installed the Cobb double-adjustable short throw shifter. Like magnostick said, it is just the shifter stick/rod, not the entire assembly like the SPT. Now, I'm set. I love the fact that the Cobb is adjustable for both the throw and the height. I originally set it up with a conservative throw and the knob height very high. I'm now on my 3rd adjustment, with the throw being extremely short...as short as it can go without the arm hitting the front left corner of the metal frame. There's an option in the instructions to trim this frame for a VERY short throw. I also moved the shift height way down to see if I liked it (I did, but thumb kept hitting ebrake handle in first and second), so I moved it back up about an inch, just enough to comfortably clear that handle.

Install is fairly simple. You'll need snap ring pliers (commonly available at any auto parts store for like 10 bucks), phillips head screwdriver, 10mm socket wrench w/ extension, 2X 12mm box/open wrenches. Here's a vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDlrxcn7dk
    Last edited by lokey; 10-17-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Replace all four bushings: front/rear shifter stay, shift linkage, pivot.

You mean the TiC linkage? Was gonna order it through WC Lathe Werks, just wondering if it's the correct item. And what exactly will the linkage help improve? Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm basically a newbie when it comes to any of this stuff haha

Thanks for your replies guys, really appreciate it!

Build Thread Beloww:

Also just want to mention, will those TiC linkage bushings fit my 2011? Just wanna make sure

Just wondering too Lokey, I read that if the throws are tooo short that it can affect and hurt the synchros, do you know if that's true?

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Just wondering too Lokey, I read that if the throws are tooo short that it can affect and hurt the synchros, do you know if that's true?
    I've never heard that before. Subaru wizards?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Nope, can't remember where, I think it was in one of the 'similiar threads' that I saw at the bottom of the page, or it could have been on nasioc. I really like the idea of the Cobb cause I could retain the stock height but change the throw length. Does it take much time to make either adjustment?

Build Thread Beloww:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast