Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Short Throw Shifters -- SPT, Cobb, Kartboy? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX Nope, can't remember where, I think it was in one of the 'similiar threads' that I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Nope, can't remember where, I think it was in one of the 'similiar threads' that I saw at the bottom of the page, or it could have been on nasioc. I really like the idea of the Cobb cause I could retain the stock height but change the throw length. Does it take much time to make either adjustment?
    The adjustments are very easy with everything off. Try to get the height and throw right before you put it all back together...unlike me, who had to take their console off 3 more times. On a brighter note, now I'm really fast at taking it apart and putting it back together. :-) If I had to do it over, I would test drive it with no center console or shift boot on and make all the adjustments then.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Theses are essential TiC 5MT Lever Pivot Bushings - WIDE

These are the shift linkage bushings.They will fit your 2011.I have them lying around the garage but have yet to install them TiC 06-08 Subaru Shift Linkage Bushings
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Digging up one of your old posts to help the OP -

A: Shift Linkage Bushings
    B: Short Throw Shifter
    C: Pivot Bushings
    D: Front Shifter Stay Bushing
    E: Rear Shifter Stay Bushing

He hasn't installed them yet, because it's a PITA. :-)
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    He hasn't installed them yet, because it's a PITA. :-)
    Lol,true.You have given me new inspiration.I will do them & the X members next weekend.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I will do them & the X members next weekend.
    Did you go with the full replacements or just the inserts (like lazy, old me)?

Greg

Build Thread

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah, I'll prob keep the SPT shifter, but are the front Kartboy bushings a replacement for the SPT shifter bushing? Cause I saw a pic of the SPT bushing on genuine Subaru parts, and it just seems to be another rubber bushing... Which kinda sucks. Was just wondering if it's worth ordering the front kartboy bushing. And what about the Kartboy pilot bushings? Are they worth it??

Stu what's that 'Pro-Clip' you git in your mods?? And did you notice any decrease in performance after going to those heavier wheels?? I know it's off-topic, but just curious
    My bad, I didn't check this thread again lol. The pro-clip is a phone mount for my HTC Incredible, wanted something that was nice for holding the phone instead of having it lay around. I can't say I noticed any decrease, but it certainly holds the ground better. I'll be happy to get some other suspension upgrades to really set off the grip it has now.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

Argh I wish I hadn't sold my Cobb STS from my old STI because I'd love to have it now. I guess I'll be buying one again! What's the consensus these days anyway on the best one? Price not being a concern.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks Stu for the delayed input haha

Thanks for the diagram Lokey, so I'm guessing that the pivot bushings are the only ones that can be installed from inside the car? All the rest are done from underneath??

Thanks Tony for the confirmation, I think I'll just get all the bushings, I'll order the kartboy front bushing, the pivot bushings and the linkage ones, like I said already got the rear bushing ordered with my custom shift knon.

After I get them all installed I'll then decide if I want to upgrade to the Cobb shifter i guess
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Argh I wish I hadn't sold my Cobb STS from my old STI because I'd love to have it now. I guess I'll be buying one again! What's the consensus these days anyway on the best one? Price not being a concern.
    I still love my Mode Racing STS, which AFAIK is a rebadged Cobb. They don't sell it on RallySport now though.

Sent from my Droid 2
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Theses are essential TiC 5MT Lever Pivot Bushings - WIDE

These are the shift linkage bushings.They will fit your 2011.I have them lying around the garage but have yet to install them TiC 06-08 Subaru Shift Linkage Bushings
    So Tony, it's definitely the WIDE ones and not the Narrow ones I need ccorrect?

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Stu for the delayed input haha

Thanks for the diagram Lokey, so I'm guessing that the pivot bushings are the only ones that can be installed from inside the car? All the rest are done from underneath??

Thanks Tony for the confirmation, I think I'll just get all the bushings, I'll order the kartboy front bushing, the pivot bushings and the linkage ones, like I said already got the rear bushing ordered with my custom shift knon.

After I get them all installed I'll then decide if I want to upgrade to the Cobb shifter i guess
    That's correct. The others have to be done from underneath. Note: If you're going to be a "bushing head" and live under the car like some of us, I'd recommend getting some quality ramps (if you don't have them already). I use rhinoramps, some use raceramps.... Jacking the car up just gets to be a time-consuming hassle if you'll be getting under there often.

Before you get all of those bushings, ask yourself this: Is my problem with the distance of the throw, height of the shifter, firmness/feel of the shifts, or some of each? I just don't want to see you get a bag of bushings, when the problem is the throw length or shifter height....know what I mean?

Add: I can't see where changing the pivot bushings will firm things up too much. They are pretty solid as it is. You'll see if/when you remove them to put in the new shifter. Can someone else confirm/deny? Is it just me?
    Last edited by lokey; 10-17-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Greg

Build Thread

Thanks for the input Lokey, appreciate it man! My biggest issue is just the feel of the shifting, I'm perfectly content with the knob height, and like I said, maybe after I get all the bushings and drive for a bit, I might consider getting the Cobb to shorten the throws even more.

In terms of the pivot bushings, are you saying that it could be a bad idea to install them?? I know most people only talk about the upside of using these harder urethane bushings, but are there any drawbacks at all??

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem, man. In my opinion, the firmness achieved from the kartboy front and rear shifter stay bushings is more than enough, without making it feel too 'clunky." But, too each their own. I also feel that shortening my shifts made me much more accurate and quick with my shifts for spirited driving. Like I said, those two little sleeve-like bushings just don't seem like they are worth the time and effort...for me.

Add: I'm with this guy (see review): http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Turn...-STI-2006-2011

Greg

Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you go with the full replacements or just the inserts (like lazy, old me)?
    I'm talking about these TiC Tranny Crossmember Bushings

Next on the list are the rear diff inserts 2008 Impreza rear diff inserts

Add: I can't see where changing the pivot bushings will firm things up too much. They are pretty solid as it is. You'll see if/when you remove them to put in the new shifter. Can someone else confirm/deny? Is it just me?
    It will firm things up too much if you over tighten the bolt.My stock bushings were chewed up when I took them off at around 3k miles.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, right, those....man, I can't keep track of all the rubber that needs replacing under these cars. :-) I went with the Whiteline version, while I was there installing the STI trans mount.

+1 The torque for that bolt is like 12 lbs, if I remember correctly.

Greg

Build Thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast