whinning coming from rear end of car ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on whinning coming from rear end of car ? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my car has had this whinning noise now for a lil and its gettting annoying . ive searched and ...

whinning coming from rear end of car ?

So my car has had this whinning noise now for a lil and its gettting annoying . ive searched and read for a while and it seams to be either the rear diff is going bad or this is a normal sound from an sti . for a while i thought it may have been a wheel bearing but i think i ruled that out since the tires dont have any play when i lifted them and rocked them . another thing it seems to be is possibly a carrier bearing on the diff . the noise comes when im going 35+ and when my foot is on the gas or when the cruise control is trying to accelerate. as soon as i release the gas the noise goes away . i found a clip on youtube from an audi that has the exact same noise. he describes it as rear diff whine , and nothing else. later down on the comments he says it was a bad pinion . has anyone ever heard of a rear diff making this noise. or is this a normal sound the sti makes . im thinking there gotta be somehting wrong , ive just never messed with a rear diff or any of its internals .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CK8z...eature=related

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wheel bearing shouldnt change with throttle only turning
    from what i've read (google subaru rear diff whine) the rear diff whine is very common among subaru's, both my old leggy and my current wrx have it right around 60mph goes away when off throttle

some have said changing the rear diff oil to something thicker helped others said having the rear tires a few psi lower than the fronts helped... the best answer i have found was relating to the shims in the diff and it not being shimmed properly from the factory

doesnt seem to affect its life much though

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

What would be the next oil viscosity that I could run in the dif. It is hot as hell in Texas so that may be part of the problem ?

i know you can get 75w140($$$) but if your oil isnt fresh then just put some new 80w90 in it and see if it makes any difference, if it does then you can look into thicker stuff
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

One other thing I just read was about the friction modifier . I recently changes my oils . And I put in reg mobil 1 75w90. I'll look into the thicker stuff and try it out .

If you use the DCCD, can you change the sound or its frequency or something? That would help confirm that it's the rear differential.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

I never mess with the dccd . I leave it in auto. I'll play with it today and see if the sound changes any

So I took the car for a drive today and played with the dccd a lil . I noticed the noise now happens when I'm on or off the throttle . And the lower down the settings I go the sound does kinda change , but the noise from the rear is still very distinct when compared to the noises I heard from the dccd . Kinda sounded more like a humming noise then a whine. I'm assuming these noises are normal from the dccd.it didn't sound as the dccd made the frequency change any .sounds like in was hearing the dccd on top of the rear noise

if the oil in the rear diff is new then i wouldnt worry too much, try to at least get some mileage on it so its not money thrown away
    like i said there are manymany cases of subaru diff whine and from what i've read none of them have led to its demise (unless the diff was overly abused)

fwiw i usually have less air in my rear tires than my fronts... 2 days ago i equalized them as i'm going to be rotating this weekend after i swap my track wheels off... i have not heard any rear diff noise in the past 2 days!!

could be coincidence
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

wait you have an sti! yeah you should really get that additive in there so you dont fry the lsd mechanism
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

I just changed the oil again in there this afternoon again. Oil says it's good for the LSD . Also put in 80w90 . Will I be able to find this friction modifier at say autozone ? If so I'll be going to buy it right now

i would only use the subaru stuff from subaru... but i dont have an sti so i havent read up about whats good and whats not... until you know only use what is guaranteed to work, i wouldnt trust the autozone people to know what works

i'm sure people have asked the same question before though
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Quick update this noise only comes when I'm going more then 60 mph

I took a video were the noise can be heard , not sure how to upload it here . Hoping someone can listen and ell diagnose . My brother swears its an alignment issue but I'm still leaning toward something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQt_oTdq9Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.