whinning coming from rear end of car ? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on whinning coming from rear end of car ? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mexicanzero i know you can get 75w140($$$) but if your oil isnt fresh then just put some ...

Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    i know you can get 75w140($$$) but if your oil isnt fresh then just put some new 80w90 in it and see if it makes any difference, if it does then you can look into thicker stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    i would only use the subaru stuff from subaru... but i dont have an sti so i havent read up about whats good and whats not... until you know only use what is guaranteed to work, i wouldnt trust the autozone people to know what works
    First you just mention oil weights and say it's ok to use those, then you say it's only ok to use the Subaru stuff. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Pretty sure your running the wrong oil in your rear diff. you should be running an LSD oil not basic 75W90
    Yes exactly. Only use the Subaru stuff for your diffs and tranny.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you go back you'll see i realized it was an sti after recommending any oil... and then said to make sure he uses the subaru additive...
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Ah I didn't catch that. I'm a little slow.....

I still wouldn't use anything other than the Subaru lubricants, STI or not. Subarus can get funny behaviors if you use difference lubricants.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I will say Im running Motul and am extremely pleased with it. But i think its worth saying if your going to make a change away from OEM then be very conscious of whats going on with the car
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

im running extra s so i agree with both of you! however my source dried out so next year the experimentation starts and motul is first on my list
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

The rear diff does have an LSD oil in it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this issue ever sorted? I've just fitted an STi gearbox and transmission to my WRX and get the exact same sound as in your video, it's identical.

Keen to find out what it was.

I found if to be the real wheel bearing . If u fitted the tranny to the car I assume u put the wheel hubs in as well . Check the wheel bearings

Quote Originally Posted by v6mx6ls36 View Post
    I found if to be the real wheel bearing . If u fitted the tranny to the car I assume u put the wheel hubs in as well . Check the wheel bearings
    Yeah, I fitted R180 hubs as well. However before the hubs were installed I had brandnew bearings fitted.

Interesting for you that it was a wheel bearing issue, you would think the sound would always be there, not go away when backing off or accelerating.

my whine went away when i did a 6 speed/r180 swap... didnt touch the spindles or the bearings only thing was trans diff and driveshaft
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Quote Originally Posted by v6mx6ls36 View Post
    Noise coming from Sti - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was this your car in the video? This is the video I was referring to above, my car sounds exactly the same. Whines when cruising (light throttle), goes away when accelerating or decelerating and it's road speed related (changes tone with speed and sounds the same at any given speed no matter what gear you are in).

Yes it is my car I filmed making the noise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.