whinning coming from rear end of car ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on whinning coming from rear end of car ? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; comes and goes the exact same way my diff whine does, sounds weird but could be due to the quality ...

comes and goes the exact same way my diff whine does, sounds weird but could be due to the quality of the audio... alignment issue? the only way i see an alignment issue causing a noise is if its off so bad the tires are squealing

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've watched the video on my phone and my comp. the sound quality is exactly as it is in the car . There's no difference . I dnt think it's alignment since it Made the exact same noise with my bald tired before changing tires. Also the car doesn't shake or vibrate or anything under any speeds . It doesn't pull to either side either . Which leads me to not being anything alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could it possibly be a wheel bearing ?

Quote Originally Posted by v6mx6ls36 View Post
    Could it possibly be a wheel bearing ?
    A wheel bearing doesn't have the same whining sound, it's more of a *thunk* (but not really.) It could be normal. Did it start when the temps got colder, or does it change in accordance with the weather perhaps?

Buuuut, you could check your wheel bearings. IMS (which it probably doesn't, can anyone confirm/deny?) You take off your wheel, and see if the bearing has any back and forth play by grabbing the rotor and trying to wiggle it left and right.
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Pretty sure your running the wrong oil in your rear diff. you should be running an LSD oil not basic 75W90
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

The weather doesn't affect it any , and I've changed the dif oil to an LSD oil aswell. I think I'll go buy the Subaru gear oil and go from there.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by v6mx6ls36 View Post
    I think I'll go buy the Subaru gear oil and go from there.
    Good choice
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

with a bad bearing the noise will go away as you turn one way and get worse as you turn the other way, and i've never heard a bearing make a whining noise its more of a growl... a bearing can be bad with no play whatsoever but to check for play leave the wheel on and shake the whole wheel, top & bottom and side to side
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Yea this noise in no way is a growl of any kind . More of a high pitch humming noise

Did you diagnose the problem yet? I may be able to help.

I have not , she's sitting on jack stands in the garage right now . I was under the car looking for anything that could possibly be making that noise , checked everything I could .

I had the same noise coming from mine. [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Microsoft%20User/My%20Documents/Tyler's%20pics/SUBITRANNY.jpg[/IMG]

The bearing I highlighted is the one I had to replace.. I took the tranny out to do it cause I didn't know what was wrong with it .. But all youll need to do is drop the driveshaft and take the tail end of the tranny out and inspect the bearings make sure that is indeed the problem.. The bearing only cost me $50 from the dealer. Shouldn't take more that 2 hours to take it out if you know what your doing. But.... for some reason the same bearing went out on mine 1500 miles after replacing... Im in the process of replacing it again, but this time completely draining the tranny fluid and going with 100% Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Hopefully this helps... but im almost positive thats your problem, it sounds just like mine did.

well ****.. pic didnt work... send me your email and Ill send your the breakdown sheet.. it got part #'s and everything

You have to host the pic on a site like photobucket and link it to the direct link of the picture.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

So u say the tail end of the tranny. Meaning the center dif is going to have to come off . Or did u mean the center dif has this bearing inside of it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast