Clutch costs are killin me
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Clutch costs are killin me within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a question regarding replacing a clutch on a 2008 WRX with approx 86,000 miles on it. (I'm a ...

Exclamation Clutch costs are killin me

I have a question regarding replacing a clutch on a 2008 WRX with approx 86,000 miles on it. (I'm a great driver going so long without a new clutch), but the problem ensues when the clutch is more difficult to press down. I don't want to wait until it just gives out, in any case I have stock everything in my car and had 3 questions:

1. Do clutch kits come with flywheels such as the one found at this link

If it doesn't come with a flywheel

2. Which flywheel goes best with the above clutch?

3. Will this clutch be good on my stock 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no link in your post.

Ask the vendor if a flywheel is included; they will tell you. If they do not, don't buy.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There is no link in your post.
    New ClubWRX members have to make a few posts before links can be inserted in to posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Ask the vendor if a flywheel is included; they will tell you. If they do not, don't buy.
    This.

About the link

It was a link to a clutch kit on amazon the item is : an EXEDY 15804 Racing Clutch Kit

The value is $456.99 approx.

clutch kits generally come with: pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch, alignment tool. The flywheel can either be resurfaced (if there are no deep hotspots) or replaced - if replaced, you have a choice to go oem or lightweight (the latter has certain advantages and disadvantages). Any flywheel compatible with your engine will be good to use.

You'll want an oem replacement clutch (exedy makes these, as well as the oem clutch - the latter being 3x more expensive with no benefit), unless you are SIGNIFICANTLY over stock torque levels (like, turbo upgrade).
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

What do you suggest that I get as a replacement for my clutch if not Exedy? I want something not too extravagant in price since I have no upgrades that have been done to my vehicle.

Shop around, because I only looked here to show you the product, but here's what you want:
    Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Subaru Models (inc. 2006-2011 WRX / 2005-2009 Legacy GT) at RallySportDirect.com

The cost of the clutch kit is, unfortunately, nothing compared to what you'll pay in labor if you're not doing it yourself or with a family mechanic - you need to drop the transmission.

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Also, All I am seeing for Flywheels that go with my car are from ACT, will there be a problem if I get an ACT Flywheel and an Exedy Clutch kit?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Go with the OEM clutch, and have your existing flywheel resurfaced. 95% chance there is nothing wrong with the flywheel that is currently on the car.

Dropping the transmission takes all of about 30 minutes. Last clutch job I had done was $300 labor.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of power are you making? Is your clutch damaged (example, slipping)?

The problem is when people think that they need these super heavy duty crazy clutches when they're making 200 HP like its going to gain them something. Driving style will change and you'll be giving your transmission a hell of a lot more shock. I think this is also another reason why 5 speed owners blow their transmissions...they get these heavy duty clutches and very light flywheel and a month later the transmission is gone.

If you're in or around your factory power range, get the factory clutch.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Alright I placed the order for the OEM replacement clutch (thank you Poly,) and hopefully I can find someone to help me to install. Thanks much for everyones help!

I don't want to get a super heavy duty crazy clutch, but I am unable to find a reasonable price on a stock clutch, the OEM clutch should be fine as it is 1/3rd the price of the stage 1 clutch by Exedy I have 222 hp and its a base model 2008.

the OEM clutch and the OEM replacement clutch have basically two differences: where you get them (subaru vs. another vendor) and how much they cost (for my '02 I was looking at about $600 from subaru and $250 from RSD). I think there's a slight difference in the pressure plate or bearing or smth, but it really doesn't matter, and doesn't make the oem one better (let alone twice the cost better).

BTW, I believe subaru charges for like 5 hours labor for a clutch job on an '02... or was it 7?

Good info for me, I pulled into the driveway tonight and had some major stank coming off the clutch. 92000 miles on the 08 and I thinks its time. Hopefully its as easy as my 94 toyota p\u was lol! It could get tricky getting the car to a reasonable hight.
    -Stink-Eye Mob #51-
    08' SEDAN
    SPT CAT BACK

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Ramps, air ratchet, six point metric socket set, one can PB blaster, case of beer (cheap domestic), two large pizzas (house choice), and two or three friends. I find having bodies underneath the car to hold/catch the transmission much easier than trying to finagle a transmission jack where it's balanced just right.

Go ahead and buy replacement pilot and throw out bearings ahead of time because you're going to want to replace them once you get in there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.