what gear oil works best for you?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what gear oil works best for you?! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thinking about either putting valvoline 75w90 dino oil in the gearbox and rear diff, or motul 300 75w90 synth. in ...

what gear oil works best for you?!

Thinking about either putting valvoline 75w90 dino oil in the gearbox and rear diff, or motul 300 75w90 synth. in the gear box and rear diff.

its a 04 wrx (non sti) any "opinions" or thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm running Amsoil synthetic 75w90 now, feels and shifts great. My next fav would probably be a blend of regular Red Line synthetic with a quart of Red Line for syncro transmissions (the syncro stuff doesn't have the same friction modifiers as the regular stuff so your syncros can grab).

One time I tried the Suabru synthetic stuff they sell at dealerships, I was not pleased. It may have been to slick because it felt like my syncros weren't grabbing right.

whatever i decide to go with, i can run either dino 75w90 or synthetic 75w90 in both the trans, and the rear diff... correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    You can.. I wouldn't, mainly because it gets left in there so long. Synthetic doesn't break down near as fast as dino oil.

so i should run a 75w90 synth. like... motul gear 300? That one seems to get the best reviews.. Ok to run in trans, and rear diff?
    remember... 2004 wrx non sti

I Support ClubWRX
    As long as your car is a manual and not an automatic, then yes. Although I'm not sure if it's designed for syncro mesh transmissions. If it has the friction modifiers it can cause the syncros to take a little longer to mesh up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru Extra-S
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    valvoline 75w90 dino

I Support ClubWRX
    I use Valvoline regular 75W-90. So did my dealer last I checked. It meets SOA specs. It works.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Subaru extra-s here as well.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

my manual says use 75w90 for both gearbox and rear diff. It doesnt specify dino or synthetic. So i guess its ok to use either as long as its 75w90... right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by matt99 View Post
    my manual says use 75w90 for both gearbox and rear diff. It doesnt specify dino or synthetic. So i guess its ok to use either as long as its 75w90... right?
    As long as it is GL5, which is specified in the manual. It's almost a given these days that a GL5 will be MT1, but in any case the manual specifies GL5 so that is what I use. The viscosity is given as a range depending on ambient temps; 75W-90 happens to be correct for my area.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

NGS
    Hey what about using red line 75w90 NS for gear and rear diff.
    idk if it would work?
    btw ive read that it works wonders on some trans and other are not pleased so im not sure if i should get it or not, maybe someone can help me out!

I Support ClubWRX
    I won't bother with Redline. Regular geal oil instead. Valvoline regular gl5.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Subaru Extra-S
    that^^
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast