what gear oil works best for you?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on what gear oil works best for you?! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I dont have subaru extra - s in my country, Im from el salvador, all subarus here are imported from ...

NGS
    I dont have subaru extra - s in my country, Im from el salvador, all subarus here are imported from the US, so i dont have subaru authorized dealer, tried to ship it from the US and i need various permisions, so thats a NO,
    sadly all i have is REDLINE and MOTUL300. also pennzoil 75w90 but GL4 so im kinda screwed.
    So if u can help me with this i would really apreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I use Valvoline regular 75W-90. So did my dealer last I checked. It meets SOA specs. It works.
    I have been running this in my 2011 wrx for about 5 months now and it is crap, especially when it is cold. If is very hard to get my car in reverse and first gear until it warms up. I think I am going to try extra-s.
    2011 WRX Limited - Stage1-AEM CAI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bierman View Post
    I have been running this in my 2011 wrx for about 5 months now and it is crap, especially when it is cold. If is very hard to get my car in reverse and first gear until it warms up. I think I am going to try extra-s.
    I'd not considered that. Temperatures where I live rarely drop below 5' or so. I've driven the car in -10' weather and it did feel notchy until it warmed up. Maybe the Extra-S will feel better to you.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'd not considered that. Temperatures where I live rarely drop below 5' or so. I've driven the car in -10' weather and it did feel notchy until it warmed up. Maybe the Extra-S will feel better to you.
    I agree, Winter is about over here in Ohio(or at east I think it is) but regardless I think Extra-S will work better for me. Is Extra-s full synthetic?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bierman View Post
    Is Extra-s full synthetic?
    I don't know frankly, good question.

Found this, but the crucial bit is not visible in the pic of the canister:
    http://www.subaruofglendale.net/los-...ts-special.htm
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't know frankly, good question.

Found this, but the crucial bit is not visible in the pic of the canister:
    Subaru of Glendale | Vehicles for sale in Glendale, CA 91204
    That is all I could find too. There seems to be a lot of people asking the same question as me...... I guess if it works, I'm fine with it not being synthetic.

Registered User Jables_WRX_Junki's Avatar
    I just did a tranny fluid change about 2 weekends ago. I went down to baxters auto since autozone did not have a single gear oil in stock lol. Got to the shelf at Baxters and saw the price tags on some of the qts and was blown away how ridiculously expensive it was , and the fact we need nearly 4 qt's to fill out tranny and front diff. Saw the Valvoline 75w90 for about half the price of the other brands. I remember reading not to put synthetic in because it is to slippery. Been driving on the Valvoline 75w90 and am impressed with how much smoother my down shifting is and how much more torque my tranny is consistently holding. I have an 02 wrx and temps outside is right around 70 degrees. Will wait to see how well it holds up during winter. I live in the northwest so we have mild summers and winters. I would suggest sticking with the cheaper stuff (Valvoline 75w90) , and getting the best bang for your buck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12