08' wrx clutch problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 08' wrx clutch problem within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yesterday I started my car and I heard a pop and my clutch pedal went soft. I can put it ...

08' wrx clutch problem

Yesterday I started my car and I heard a pop and my clutch pedal went soft. I can put it in gear it just won't engage. My car has under 25k mi. I have never had problems with it slipping and I don't race. I'm thinking it's a mechanical error with the throw out bearing, I'm contemplating turning this in for warranty. I've taking it to the track roughly a year ago so if they were to find hot spots from then, I'll hear bunch of b.s. plus my car is lowered so that's already been an issue for towing. If I replace it myself what should I go with. My performance mods are cai,full exhaust, reflash. Advice greatly appreciated.
    -Tim

08' OBP WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dont contemplate warranty, USE the warranty. that is why your car came with one. plus they will give you a loaner while they work on it.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

So... the dealership covered my clutch under warranty. In return they hit a curb or something and tore up my front bumper then tried to blame it on the tow truck company that dropped my car off, which i supervised and assisted in the unloading. they are going to paint it free of cost. but then again this is not their first time doing this same exact thing. and it seems the more work they do. the more effed up my car gets from them. Wilkens Subaru in glen burnie just saying. think twice before buying a car from them.
    -Tim

08' OBP WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
    So... the dealership covered my clutch under warranty. In return they hit a curb or something and tore up my front bumper then tried to blame it on the tow truck company that dropped my car off, which i supervised and assisted in the unloading. they are going to paint it free of cost. but then again this is not their first time doing this same exact thing. and it seems the more work they do. the more effed up my car gets from them. Wilkens Subaru in glen burnie just saying. think twice before buying a car from them.
    Maybe their valets suck? Lol
    Bugeye Mafia #155

Friends don't let friends drive stock.
    Racing a neon is like fighting a girl: you can't brag about it if you win, and you don't want anyone to know if you lose.
    facebook

So what was the problem with the car? This happened to me yesterday. I was able to get it into gear and limp it to the local dealership this morning? My guess would be slave or master cylinder. I'm anxious to know what to expect. It does not feel like the clutch itself to me, but something else.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
    So what was the problem with the car? This happened to me yesterday. I was able to get it into gear and limp it to the local dealership this morning? My guess would be slave or master cylinder. I'm anxious to know what to expect. It does not feel like the clutch itself to me, but something else.

JG
    What ended up being the problems for your car? This just happened to me while I was in stop and go holiday traffic 3 days ago. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership. My clutch pedal went soft and goes down to the base without any feedback. I can shift throw all gears
    but start off in first gear sounds horrible and requires some forceful acceleration. My clutch has been squeaking for about 2 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by ejicon View Post
    What ended up being the problems for your car? This just happened to me while I was in stop and go holiday traffic 3 days ago. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership. My clutch pedal went soft and goes down to the base without any feedback. I can shift throw all gears
    but start off in first gear sounds horrible and requires some forceful acceleration. My clutch has been squeaking for about 2 months now.
    It was the clutch itself. It was toast. I had to replace the clutch and put in a resurfaced stock flywheel.

I went with a Southbend Stage III Endurance clutch per the advice of my tuner. They are a bit more expensive, but very durable. I believe it is a dual material clutch. I am super happy. Feels almost stock.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
    It was the clutch itself. It was toast. I had to replace the clutch and put in a resurfaced stock flywheel.

I went with a Southbend Stage III Endurance clutch per the advice of my tuner. They are a bit more expensive, but very durable. I believe it is a dual material clutch. I am super happy. Feels almost stock.

JG
    Thanks for replying back so quickly. I just dropped off my car and just like you said: it's the clutch that's gone. I'm actually really relieved because it could have been something even more major. I'm having the dealership take care of it since I don't have the resources to change it out myself. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

There have been numerous reports of 09+ clutches going still well within 30k miles or so. Many of them get replaced by the dealer under warranty as a good faith type offering since it's still relatively low mileage.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Unfortunately I'm way past my bumper to bumper warranty. Last time I read my entire manual for pleasure I saw that brake-pads, clutches and windshield wipers are all covered under the 3 years/36k Wear Warranty. I'm still on my first set of brake pads and changed on my 3rd pair of wiper blades.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.