Factory short throw W/ kartboy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Factory short throw W/ kartboy? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey All, Picking up my first ever wrx from the dealer on Monday...Hell yeeeah! I didn't even intend to buy...I ...

zev

Factory short throw W/ kartboy?

Hey All,

Picking up my first ever wrx from the dealer on Monday...Hell yeeeah! I didn't even intend to buy...I was just bored and wanted to scope it out...but then I sat in it and started going through the gears on the lot...and then the sales guy came out and let me drive the thing...and the next thing I knew I was putting down my credit card for a deposit. Dark Grey Metallic *****es! Picking up the car at noon on Monday...tinting the windows at 1:05. Ha.

So...here's the situation.

My car will already have a Subaru factory short throw shifter (and all the linkage) installed that I didn't have to pay extra for (word)...but after reading around on this forum a bit, it seems like there are better options out there.

Been checking out the Kartboy shifter and Bushings, but it seems like it's just the actual lever and not all the linkage like the Subaru short throw that will already be installed. What would be the best thing to do from here? Should I still install the Kartboy lever and bushings? Will that stuff be compatible with the current Subaru SS unit?

I didn't pay for it, so I don't particularly care about the Subaru short throw...I just want the thing to feel as crisp as possible as I'm going through the gears.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    From my readings, get the bushings, install and enjoy... that's my next mod in line.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

zev
    So the Kartboy lever won't make much difference then?

I Support ClubWRX
    I couldn't tell you for sure, I have the STS from Subaru, but like I said from my readings the bushings are what make the shifter feel crisp... not so much the lever... I'm sure others will chime in, but unless they've owned both types it'll be a toss-up decision... I'd just start with the bushings, if you don't like the feel, try changing out the shifter...
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

zev
    Cool. thanks!!

There is little difference (if any) between the STS lever and the Kartboy, but there is a difference in the bushings. My advice, keep the factory STS, but get the bushing set.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

zev
    Just placed the order with Kartboy. Do you think my local dealership would install these? I'm pretty handy and could probably do it, but I don't have a lift...

zev
    What's goin on behind your grille there JD?

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are Hella Loud Horns...

... and I just bought my bushing set from Kartboy to go with my Subaru STS as well.

zev
    Hahaha. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    Those are Hella Loud Horns...

... and I just bought my bushing set from Kartboy to go with my Subaru STS as well.
    I take it the Kartboy bushings work with the factory short throw?
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

zev
    I guess so. Anyone know if you can replace that shift knob on the factory STS with aftermarket?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    From what I've read, yes... at least that 'ish better lol... worst case I'll get something that works. I'm pretty sure I'm good though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zev
    Just placed the order with Kartboy. Do you think my local dealership would install these? I'm pretty handy and could probably do it, but I don't have a lift...
    You don't need a lift, but it's much easier.

The dealership might be willing to install them for you (call their service department and ask). On your car, it should be less than an hour labor. You have more crap in the way than previous MYs, but not enough to make it that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by zev
    Anyone know if you can replace that shift knob on the factory STS with aftermarket?
    Yes. Unscrew OE, screw on aftermarket.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    not totally sure about the new ones. but for my year if you purchase the pivot bushing and have the factory subaru sts you need the wide kit. may or may not be the same as i said for the newer ones but check it out though.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast