Factory short throw W/ kartboy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Factory short throw W/ kartboy? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well worst case I'll swap... ain't no biggie....

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well worst case I'll swap... ain't no biggie.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Plesae join the group buy here Vendor 'Group Buy' Classifieds - NASIOC if you are interested in the short shifter & bushings package.It is being offered under market value
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I've already bought the Subaru sts and just ordered the Agency Power sts ( basically the same as the kartboy sts). I mainly ordered it because it's 1inch shorter than the Subaru sts. I can tell you that I did notice a difference between the factory shifter to the Subaru sts. And by geometry, a shorter shaft will have a shorter throw. So in my opinion I would go a head and get it.

I Support ClubWRX
    on the STi one, the sts was mostly just a shorter linkage. Lever was still long. I am using the sts linkage and KB lever / bushings and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    on the STi one, the sts was mostly just a shorter linkage. Lever was still long. I am using the sts linkage and KB lever / bushings and love it.
    This is how I plan to do my car. My buddy has an '13 wrx with the kartboy sts kit/bushings and I've got a '11 wrx with the sti sts. His still seems way shorter than mine. His is in 4th and looks like it's in neutral compared to mine. I plan to get the TiC bushings too.

If you like the shifter height and like the long throws, don't change the stock shifter.

If you like the shifter height and you want shorter throws, go with the SPT short throw shifter. Unless it's already installed on the car, I'd shop around for a used SPT short throw shifter lever (which can be had for $80 give or take). The linkages between the stock shifter and SPT short throw shifter are the same with the exception for the short throw lever.

If you want a shorter shifter height and want even shorter throws, go with the Kartboy short shifter lever.

In any case, definitely change out the stock shifter bushings. My advice would be to go with the Kartboy ones. This will definitely take the vagueness out of the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    If you like the shifter height and like the long throws, don't change the stock shifter.

If you like the shifter height and you want shorter throws, go with the SPT short throw shifter. Unless it's already installed on the car, I'd shop around for a used SPT short throw shifter lever (which can be had for $80 give or take). The linkages between the stock shifter and SPT short throw shifter are the same with the exception for the short throw lever.

If you want a shorter shifter height and want even shorter throws, go with the Kartboy short shifter lever.

In any case, definitely change out the stock shifter bushings. My advice would be to go with the Kartboy ones. This will definitely take the vagueness out of the shifter.
    I read that the SPT changes it in the lever, but the STI one changes it in the linkage.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewD5418 View Post
    I read that the SPT changes it in the lever, but the STI one changes it in the linkage.
    Correct...unlike the SPT short shifter for the WRX, the STI short shifter does have modified linkages.

FWIW, Kartboy also sells a short shifter lever for the STI that works with either the stock shifter linkage or the short shifter linkage.

So I would just like to get this straight before I order the stuff next week. My car is a '11 WRX but it has the STi short throw shifter kit, not the SPT. I wanna get the kartboy lever and I'm wondering if I'd need the 08+ lever, or the 97-01. If anybody knows that would be great, if nobody does I'll contact kartboy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewD5418 View Post
    So I would just like to get this straight before I order the stuff next week. My car is a '11 WRX but it has the STi short throw shifter kit, not the SPT. I wanna get the kartboy lever and I'm wondering if I'd need the 08+ lever, or the 97-01. If anybody knows that would be great, if nobody does I'll contact kartboy.
    I think you're confused...SPT/STI are sometimes used interchangeably when describing the Subaru short throw shifters. Both WRX 5 speed and STI 6 speed short throw shifters are SPT products.

If you have a 2011 WRX 5 speed, you either have the WRX SPT short throw shifter or the stock shifter. You do not have a STI SPT short throw shifter. The STI short throw shifter is for the STI six speed transmission only. My previous response to your post regarding the two short throws was based on the differences between the WRX 5 speed vs. STI 6 speed transmission shifters.

If you want the Kartboy short throw shifter lever, order the 08+ WRX lever. Do not order the STI lever...it's the wrong lever and will not work with your shifter setup.

Alright. The part that was confusing me was that I've seen the SPT, and a 5spd sti short throw being sold. Also that the original window paper said it has the "sti short throw". I'm assuming they're the same?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12