Shifter bushing whine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shifter bushing whine within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been reading about quite a few people getting a whine after replacing the front and rear shifter bushings. ...

Shifter bushing whine

I have been reading about quite a few people getting a whine after replacing the front and rear shifter bushings.

This seems to be a normal thing………….right?

My question is, has anyone determined if the noise is caused by the front bushing, rear bushing or a combination of both?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get used to it.. i have the same problem with my 2011 with the kartboy bushings. its just the vibrations from the tranny against those stiff bushings buzzing. sucks but the shifts are nice so you just learn to deal with it.

part of the reason we love out wrx's is all the fun noises they make. drivetrain whine is one of the bestest.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Think the term is NVH Noise Vibration & harshness or N&V. Thats why all subaru bushings are soft to dampen vibration. Makes it quiet but it feels like slop take out the slop and hear the vibration.
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

Older STis used to sould like tanks inside. Put coilovers on my 05 Legacy drove great till you hit a crack then all you could feel were your fillings coming loose......lasted 2 weeks, lol
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    part of the reason we love out wrx's is all the fun noises they make. drivetrain whine is one of the bestest.
    THIS! I actually like the gear whine. I'm currently still running with the stock bushings, so I sort of miss the gear whine as soon as I hit the 3rd gear.

So the whine seems to be a normal thing. I'm interested if the whine is caused by the front bushings, the rear bushing or all of them.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure each bushing you replace will increase the whine. One may cause more noise than another but if you want quiet get id of them both
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by wapam View Post
    So the whine seems to be a normal thing. I'm interested if the whine is caused by the front bushings, the rear bushing or all of them.

Thanks.
    I'd guess that the rear bushing is the one that impacts the whine most out of the two but they both contribute.. reason I side with this theory is that the rear bushing is bolted right to the body, vs the front bushing is only attached to the trans/shifter assy.. now that said, once the rear bushing is in place it is then transmitting the same vibration to the body that you previously only heard through the shifter stick. If you're looking to reduce the noise a little bit you could put the factory rear bushing back in.. but the lack of side/side play and gate tightness you had with the aftermarket rear bushing will go away and feel more like factory. Fore/aft movement will remain stiff due to the aftermarket front bushing.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe I am used to it from all my other cars but I think you guys are f-ing nuts... I dont hear jack poop... I lubed the crap out of them.. no wine

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I hear more than when it was factory.. but its very very quiet in comparison to others I've heard.

lol.. hell you guys want noise.. install the group N trans mount. I could not only hear the pronounced whine but every syncrcho and gear engagement as well as feel Idle rumble through the driver seat. Shifter bushings are nothing in comparison.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I installed all of these bushings at once about 2 weeks ago.
    Kartboy front shifter stay bushing
    Kartboy rear shifter stay bushing
    TIC shift linkage bushing
    TIC shift pivot bushing
    Group N trans mount
    Kartboy tranny crossmember bushings
    Kartboy rear outrigger bushings (Race)
    TIC rear diff mount bushings
    The whine and vibration is more noticeable for sure. I realize i took out most of the slop. So i wasnt shocked when I heard the NVH. I am actually getting used to it now and in the begining it really wasnt all that bad. I give the bushings a
    worth every penny in my book. I have to agree and say the rear would make the most noise out of the 2. I say Let it in there and enjoy the feel of the shifter. IMO
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

NVH, its a beautiful thing...
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    NVH, its a beautiful thing...
    sure if you like the sound of babies crying, dogs barking at 4 am, nails on chalkboard and metal scraping metal....
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

After reading all the replies I'm a little more relieved to know that my 300 mile wrx's whine is normal. Sort of sounds like a supercharger whine, I can't imagine what it would be with the aftermarket bushings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast