No 3rd gear after freshly rebuilt trans?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on No 3rd gear after freshly rebuilt trans? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so after a long time of having the car broken (02 5mt), I finally reinstalled a freshly rebuilt transmission ...

No 3rd gear after freshly rebuilt trans?

Okay, so after a long time of having the car broken (02 5mt), I finally reinstalled a freshly rebuilt transmission that has the STi RA gears. I get really excited, but decide I want to test it a little first, so on the jack stands I put it into each gear to verify that there is drive.

Every gear works fine and feels great, but third will not engage. When I put it in third and release the clutch, the shifter falls out a little bit. If I hold it in third and let the clutch out, it grinds like crazy. When it is in the third position, it feels sloppy, mushy, loose, etc. Quite honestly it doesn't feel like it goes in gear at all. On a freshly rebuilt transmission with new parts, I don't think this should happen.

I'll be taking it back to the shop that did the transmission ASAP, but I wanted to see if anyone knew what the issue is. Could I have screwed up somewhere, or is it not my fault?
    Matt
    2003 Silver Pontiac Vibe (sold)
    1990 Red Miata on Megasquirt3, soon to be getting the stock turbo off the WRX
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)
    1986 Chevy K20, 350 4x4 on Megasquirt. Brings the car home when it breaks.

Future cars? Too many to list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    As long as the shift linkages are all hooked up correctly and aren't binding on anything, it's likely an internal problem.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I will double check to see if there is any binding, but I would think that if every other gear works fine it's unlikely. Still, I will check again. I want to cover all my bases.
    Matt
    2002 Silver WRX sedan, Full Exhaust, 16G, Cobb AP self-tuned on E85 (work in progress)

Ahh.....This is an easy one. They either have the wrong shift sleeve on or they installed it backwards. 100% Positive of this.

If its a shift sleeve, can I still drive it to the shop and just skip third? The shop is about an hour away.
    Last edited by MWatson17; 09-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson17 View Post
    If its a shift sleeve, can I still drive it to the shop and just skip third? The shop is about an hour away.
    Yes you would be fine. As long as there is no issues with any other gears. When I did the lgt gears in mine I got an old style shift sleeve in the new style box including part number. lol Got in and the same thing happened to me. I ended up throwing together the spare trans out of left over parts and still the same issue since it was a new style third gear I put in with the old style sleeve. Combined on both transmissions I drove on it skipping third for about a month and a half. You can actually use third gear for downshifting but as soon as you put a load on it it'll pop out of gear. It really sucked for me. Tell them the white dot goes down. lol

Haven't tried downshifting in it yet, but yeah every time I gave it power it just falls out. Thanks!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Ahh.....This is an easy one. They either have the wrong shift sleeve on or they installed it backwards. 100% Positive of this.
    ?
    I know this is a old posting but does anyone know the part# for the revised shift sleeve ? I thought they (subaru dealer) would know since I got the revised third gear set from them that I would need the revised shift sleeve to make it work properly.lucky for me the transmissions are pretty easy to remove rebuild and replace.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.