Perfect shifting?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Perfect shifting? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so im new to driving a manual car.. im wonder when i should be shifting? i have the 04 ...

Perfect shifting?

Okay so im new to driving a manual car.. im wonder when i should be shifting? i have the 04 wrx and i feel like theres a really long 1st gear.. etc 20-30 km?

so my opinion is i shift like this
    1st - 2nd at 30 km
    2-3rd at 80 km
    3-4rd at 120 km

hows this sound so i dont blow my tranny or clutch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Should be going off RPM I would think. Otherwise it'd depend on elevation changes and a bunch of other ordeals like tire size. To go from gear ratios to speed there is a calculation involving a couple things.

I'd look at RPMs instead, but I don't drive a manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Cars completely stock. What rpms?
    When i down shift for a corner say 3-2nd it always likes bumps n **** know what o mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADO934 View Post
    Cars completely stock. What rpms?
    When i down shift for a corner say 3-2nd it always likes bumps n **** know what o mean?
    are you rev matching? Whenever you downshift you really should do that.

DUB
    You just need practice, practice, practice. You and the car will become better acquainted as time goes by and you wont need to think about at what speed/rpm to shift.

You will be shifting at different points based upon different variables. Enthusiastic driving, fuel saving or just cruising along all demand different shift points.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    You just need practice, practice, practice. You and the car will become better acquainted as time goes by and you wont need to think about at what speed/rpm to shift.

You will be shifting at different points based upon different variables. Enthusiastic driving, fuel saving or just cruising along all demand different shift points.
    Very good points here. I've driven stick all my driving life and it's always different for every vehicle and every driving situation.

For me, driving around town shifting happens 3-3.5k RPM's, but I don't even need to look at the tach anymore, it's a subconcious thing now and I just do it more than have to think about it since it's so engrained. I can feel when I want to shift, so I do it. If I'm out racing autox though, sometimes I need to steal a quick glance at the tach to see when I'm at my most adventageous shifting point, not quite to instinct out there yet, but getting there.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

DUB
    My first vehicle with a standard transmission ('91 Jeep Cherokee) didn't even have a tach.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    My first vehicle with a standard transmission ('91 Jeep Cherokee) didn't even have a tach.
    Same with my first, an '85 Chevy S10. That truck taught me more about vehicle ownership and driving than I would have thought possible. Going from a POS truck with a small V6 in it to a fourbanger was a different experience though, I did have to monitor what I was doing for the first couple of weeks, just to keep myself in check and keep my shifting where I want them to be.

Driving is more about feeling than monitoring anyways, but getting yourself into a groove isn't a bad idea, and keeping an eye on what your doing is a good way to do just that.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

My first car was an '88 subaru justy..
    that thing had like 55 horsepower brand new.. by the time i got it more like 30... no tach.. nothing..
    like they said.. its all about the feel.. if it sounds like the engine is getting really loud.. maybe shift.. it just takes practice.. cuz practice makes perfect!

but then again there isnt really a perfect shift.. i dunno bout you guys but once in a while you do that amazing gear change that you cant even feel the slightest change in the car.. thats always fun =)
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

I also shift at around 3k-3.5k. I really like to shift smooth when some one is in my car, but other wise i am not always as precise, but not bad enough to look like a noob to other people on the road.
    You will look at your tach for a few months, then it will become natural, it might take a little longer to keep your eyes of it when starting from a stop, but even that will pass.
    STIzzy!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I usually shift around 2500-2900.. saves fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    are you rev matching? Whenever you downshift you really should do that.
    Do you still need to rev match with the 04's and up? I thought the newer tech helped out.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You always need to rev match if you want to downshift smoothly.

SPAM!!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    SPAM!!!!
    Spam spam bacon eggs and spam!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.