How do you tell what gearset you have?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How do you tell what gearset you have? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My tranny seems to have a constant whine to it. and the gearing is really close, i cruise around town ...

How do you tell what gearset you have?

My tranny seems to have a constant whine to it.
    and the gearing is really close, i cruise around town in 4th at 40mph, if i go half throttle in 4th at that speed it still accelerates strong enough that i don't have to downshift. It was probably the first thing i noticed when i got the car, 4th gear in my 260whp redline was usually around 50mph, i cruised around in 3rd at 40mph.

granted i'm stage 2 but even before the reflash my driving habits were the same.

does anybody know the factory mph rating for each gear? i'd like to compare it with my car.

im a little over 3k rpm in 3rd gear at 40mph if that helps any.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Interesting... i found this

http://www.rallispec.com/Subaru%20Gear%20Chart.htm

on the chart it says.

40mph in 3rd gear in a stock wrx tranny is 2879rpm.
    40mph in 3rd gear with the RA gear set is 3257rpm.

im gonna go out and do some quick comparisons with this chart and post again.
    Last edited by INTA:LECT; 06-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

so im out driving and my mph vs rpm in each gear is matching up pretty good to the chart rallispec provides on thier website... ill post snapshots of my speedo and tach when i get home.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Here's the pics...

2nd gear at 40mph, rallispec says 4140rpm for stock gears and 4346rpm for RA's.

3rd gear at 40mph, rallispec says 2879rpm for stock gears and 3257rpm for RA's.

4th gear at 40mph, rallispec says 2049rpm for stock gears and 2426rpm for RA's.

What are the chances i could have a different gear set in my transmission?
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.