135k on stock clutch, time to change???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 135k on stock clutch, time to change??? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah, so anyone have an estimated time it takes an experienced mechanic to pull the trans, install the clutch and ...

135k on stock clutch, time to change??? (195k now)

Yeah, so anyone have an estimated time it takes an experienced mechanic to pull the trans, install the clutch and reinstall the trans? I thought about tearing into the trans as well to check for worn components. Any suggestions on what to look at? Time won't be a factor, as i have 2 other cars to drive if it's down for a few days/weeks.

It's a 2004 WRX, stock trans and clutch, 135k miles. List of parts i plan to replace:

clutch
    pressure plate
    flywheel
    throwout bearing
    pilot bearing
    ???

This will probably happen in or around May along with rebuilding my turbo or swapping to an STI turbo.
    Last edited by powder; 10-20-2012 at 02:41 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I went to my local subaru dealer and they quoted me at 9 hours to do the job at 90 bucks an hour.
    ...it takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong...

i was quoted 500 for labor last i looked
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." Colin McRae
    "If in doubt, flat out." - Colin McRae
    Hawk-eye Alliance #999 06 0bp STi stage 2

"one of those newfangled 4 door 4WD rally car things from Japan that can launch a car from a dead stop like it was shot from a cannon" - unknown

Parts list is right. Don't forget a DP to turbo gasket too, as you'll need one. If the exhaust has never been off you may also need the center gasket, bolts, and nuts. I find it's easier to split the exhaust there when taking it off, and those parts are commonly corroded beyond reuse. Unless you have an aftermarket exhaust in which case you might be all right. I replaced all the supplied fasteners on my TXS turbo back with stainless so I can reuse them forever.

I can do a clutch job in one of these cars in about 6-8 hours, so $500 for labor is about right. 9 hours at $90 is $810. I'd tell them that if they can't do this job in less than 9 hours they should hang it up. I can have it apart in 2 without the use of a lift. Another 4 or so to put it back together is about right, assuming you have all the parts on hand. 9 is highway robbery IMO.

135k from the stock clutch? Are you sure? They usually only last 50-75k.

Quote Originally Posted by dhm8484 View Post
    I went to my local subaru dealer and they quoted me at 9 hours to do the job at 90 bucks an hour.
    I hope you didn't get it done there. It depends on the shop. I've seen a shop drop out a tranny in 25 mins before.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Quote Originally Posted by TKO Performance View Post
    I'm at 121K on my stock clutch.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by TKO Performance View Post
    Parts list is right. Don't forget a DP to turbo gasket too, as you'll need one. If the exhaust has never been off you may also need the center gasket, bolts, and nuts. I find it's easier to split the exhaust there when taking it off, and those parts are commonly corroded beyond reuse. Unless you have an aftermarket exhaust in which case you might be all right. I replaced all the supplied fasteners on my TXS turbo back with stainless so I can reuse them forever.

I can do a clutch job in one of these cars in about 6-8 hours, so $500 for labor is about right. 9 hours at $90 is $810. I'd tell them that if they can't do this job in less than 9 hours they should hang it up. I can have it apart in 2 without the use of a lift. Another 4 or so to put it back together is about right, assuming you have all the parts on hand. 9 is highway robbery IMO.

Oh, i'm sure, unless the Subaru dealer i had a syncro replaced at 2 days after i bought it at 48k miles under warranty was really generous. They asked me if i wanted the clutch replaced for $950 and i said no. "It's going to cost $950 if the trans is already out?? That's whack." The 87k i've put on it has been basically all highway. That's my guess as to why it's lasted so long.

Oh and i have a full 3" turboback with stainless hardware.

So my other question, should i split the trans and check anything? Anyone?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

That's entirely up to you. If the trans is fine I'd leave it alone. When just doing a clutch in one of these cars I just slide the trans rearward on the jack to get it out of the way. When I'm ready to reinstall it I slide it back forward and jack it up.

The 5MT weighs about 200 lbs, so wrestling it onto the bench isn't exactly fun. It's a big, badly balanced, awkward load to move around. I'm strong as a bull and even I don't look forward to it.

If you do decide to crack it make sure to get the gasket between the extension housing and the case, and have a tube of black RTV on hand.

Still haven't changed the clutch. Winning.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    thats awesome! how many miles do you have now

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

185k.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    wow on a stock clutch??
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    Still haven't changed the clutch. Winning.
    You obviously know how to drive a manual correctly.

Anyone who burns out a clutch in less than 100k can't drive for ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    You obviously know how to drive a manual correctly.

Anyone who burns out a clutch in less than 100k can't drive for ****.
    agreed. the only car i've ever needed a clutch replaced in was an 89 integra that i had in high school. that was still after teaching my mom, brother and most of my friends how to drive stick in too and it still lasted to about 160k.

either way, congrats to the OP.
    2011 WRX Base Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl
    Stink-Eye Mob #027
    My Car
    - Mike

Also agreed...only clutch in any car I've had that fried was my e36 318i...and my buddy fried it by completely riding the clutch going up a hill. Moron.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.