98 imprezza 5 spd for wrx

This is a discussion on 98 imprezza 5 spd for wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my car is an 02 wrx auto and i want to swap it to 5 spd and can get a ...

98 imprezza 5 spd for wrx

my car is an 02 wrx auto and i want to swap it to 5 spd and can get a 98 imprezza 2.2 5 spd cheap as all heck with 70k onit. i was wondering if this will work in my wrx and are there differences between a wrx trans and this imprezza one i found all the stuff on ebay as far as pedals and hydrualic systm, any info will be appreciated and i realyy dont drive my car hard at all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

According to the info I have the '98 transaxel is the same as the '02. There were some minor year to year variations with the 5MT, but basically they are the same from '98-on. However, I cannot guarantee that the driveshaft will work, or the hydraulics, or the half-shafts, etc. I'm almost certain that it will bolt to your engine, crossmember, etc. I'd ask one of the tranny shops that handle these cars. They'll know all the details.

I did a little poking around for you. Here's one problem with this swap. The 5MT you are looking at has a 4.111 final drive ratio for the front differential. An auto WRX has a 3.900. You can't run a vehicle with different final drive ratios front and rear, as the center differential will grenade after a small amount of violent jerking and banging while trying to drive it. However, this problem is not insurmountable if you can get the rear end from the '98 car as well, because then you will have a matched set of 4.111 final drives (which is what a 5MT equipped WRX would have from the factory). You will need to verify that the '98 rear end will work in the WRX, but if it's an R160 you should be okay. It probably isn't an LSD though.

You need to check into things like driveline length between the two cars, method of half shaft attachment (this changed through the model years), and whether or not the pedal assembly and hydraulics are the same. If you know a Subaru dealer that will do a little grunt work for you have them check the part numbers between the two cars for the hydraulics, etc. If the numbers cross then it will all bolt up. If not then you need to get WRX specific parts, at least for that part of the swap.