New Clutch? Help

This is a discussion on New Clutch? Help within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I took my '02 Wagon up into the mountains on New Years Day and didn't expect there to be ...

New Clutch? Help

So I took my '02 Wagon up into the mountains on New Years Day and didn't expect there to be so much snow on the dirt road. I ended up getting stuck but got pushed out. The smell of my clutch was strong as they pushed me out so I was a little concerned. I didn't smell it the rest of the day. I was backing out of my GF's driveway today and I smelled my clutch again, and then again as I was reversing in a parking garage. I can only smell it when in reverse...Should I be worried? My car had 1 previous owner (an old couple) and about 51K on her. Any info regarding clutch replacement would be awesome. Thanks guys
    Noah | Bugeye Mafia #301

02 MBP WRX Wagon "Annabelle"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How high are you reving it out lol? I mean smoking it once shouldnt really do to much.

Quote Originally Posted by frypod View Post
    So I took my '02 Wagon up into the mountains on New Years Day and didn't expect there to be so much snow on the dirt road. I ended up getting stuck but got pushed out. The smell of my clutch was strong as they pushed me out so I was a little concerned. I didn't smell it the rest of the day. I was backing out of my GF's driveway today and I smelled my clutch again, and then again as I was reversing in a parking garage. I can only smell it when in reverse...Should I be worried? My car had 1 previous owner (an old couple) and about 51K on her. Any info regarding clutch replacement would be awesome. Thanks guys
    need a little more info on what exactly your doing, revs, how long your holding in the clutch for, any sounds..etc?

where you revving it when you were getting pushed?
    are you giving it gas when your in reverse?
    when im going in reverse i dont even give it gas..i just slowly let off the clutch and im off

The sad fact of the matter is that with 51k on the clock you are probably nearing the end of the clutch's life. There are two telltale signs. One the engagement point of the clutch is right near the dash (the first part of the pedal travel).

Two, it will start to slip. Usually right around where the turbo spools up 3,000-3,500. First it will only do it under high load, but gradually it will do it with almost not throttle input. Usually it will start in the higher gears 5th-3rd.

I got 50,000 from my first clutch, 55,000 from my second. I tried three aftermarket clutches before I settled on the ACT one I have now, which I love. The clutch job is not fun. However, if I have all the parts I can do a complete replacement in about 6-7 hours without a lift.