rear wheel drive subaru
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on rear wheel drive subaru within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking for a way to easily switch between AWD and RWD. like a switch or something. I heard that ...

rear wheel drive subaru

I'm looking for a way to easily switch between AWD and RWD. like a switch or something. I heard that the new wrx's have something like that. Basically i want a way to transfer all the power to the rear wheels. I founds a mod you can do but thats not what im looking for. I guess i could take off the front drive train but i dont really want to do that cuz i like my car awd in some situations. Is there a mod or something i can get for the car that would easily switch it out of awd?

I hace a 2000 subaru impreza 2.5rs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not possible in a reasonable sense.

The STI's DCCD is about as close as your going to get and that's different from what you are describing.

Some of the older Subaru's you can pull a fuse out and it would make the vehicle FWD only. I do not think your vehicle has this option.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Some of the older Subaru's you can pull a fuse out and it would make the vehicle FWD only. I do not think your vehicle has this option.
    no its not. tried that.

what would i have to do to get to what im trying to do?

also im trying to wire up some headlights...can you help me with that?
    head light relay mod. PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by mattfick12; 09-10-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    these dont involve any "switches" but they do have lists of parts & things you can do to convert from AWD -> RWD (and from what i understand it's pretty permanent.)

rwd for me - NASIOC

Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

RWD Conversion (with pics) - RS25.com: Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community

RWD conversions - NASIOC

first 3 links have pictures. 4th just has text

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanks for the links. I live in maine so obviously i would want to keep the awd in some situations like snow and rallying and stuff. The only reason why i would want a way to easily switch to rwd is for street purposes, more power transferred to the back, and save a little on gas if im just putting around not doing anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfick12 View Post
    thanks for the links. I live in maine so obviously i would want to keep the awd in some situations like snow and rallying and stuff. The only reason why i would want a way to easily switch to rwd is for street purposes, more power transferred to the back, and save a little on gas if im just putting around not doing anything.
    Not going to happen.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfick12 View Post
    Not possible unless you want to have 2 transmissions, one for AWD, the other for RWD. You will the time to switch out the transmissions whenever you want to convert.

302, the fuse mod is for older auto transmissions and will convert the car to FWD.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Oh, and if you try to just remove the front axles, the car won't even move. It will simply burn up the center diff when you try.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post

SVXs had this option.... it was meant for "hobbling" home if you have a spare tire on the rear though... or if you need to be towed. Not to use to "save gas".

SVX were also automatic transmissions only.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Cusco actually sells a LSD that you can install that makes it 35front/65back, it let's you keep your AWD with the tire spin on a RWD

i guess i'll just keep my awd. since im keeping that, is there anything i can do to the transmission or drive train that can make it stronger or transfer a % of the power to the back? im basically upgrading my car and is wanting some upgrade options.

i have a few questions: 1 is here:

head light relay mod. PLEASE HELP!

2000 Subaru Impreza light relay - RS25.com: Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community

2: ive heard about upgrading injectors/ camshaft....

my car is basically stock except for cold air intake, custom exhaust, park plugs and cable, and thats basically it..what are some upgrades that i could do

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why are you so intent on having this out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Why are you so intent on having this out of curiosity?
    im doing work on my car now and im just trying to get some help.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    No, I meant why are you so intent on sending more power to the rear wheels? For Ken Block's gymkhana car I can see why, but for a daily driver?

I Support ClubWRX
    Understanding that it is not possible with the current drive train, I think it would be awesome (even though I wouldn't save any gas that way).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast