09 WRX Clutch Stuck - Cause for concern?

This is a discussion on 09 WRX Clutch Stuck - Cause for concern? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I'm new here. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I bought a white hatchback 09 ...

09 WRX Clutch Stuck - Cause for concern?

Hi all, I'm new here. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I bought a white hatchback 09 WRX a week ago, and love it so far.

Last night I left my house, stopped at two red lights (maybe about 5 minutes total drive time) and after leaving the 2nd stop I went 1st-2nd-3rd and couldn't get into 4th. In fact, I couldn't get into any gear. I tried releasing the clutch with the transmission in neutral, pressing it again and still no luck. The clutch pedal was not stuck in place, it did not feel like the pedal pressure had changed (obviously there was no engagement feeling) and the shift lever was not binding. It just refused to go into gear. I had to roll off to the side of the street and turn my hazards on. I called my step-dad who is a mechanic, and he told me to turn the car off. I was able to move through all the gears with the engine off, so he told me to start the car again. I started the car in neutral, so the problem returned. At this point I understood what was going on. He told me to turn it off and start the car in 1st gear. When I did that (obviously holding the clutch pedal to the floor) there was a slight jerk, but the engine started fine. Since then, the car has driven fine. The clutch does not feel any different to me, although I'll admit I'm somewhat of a novice.

Should I be worried? I plan to talk to the dealership Monday, but I don't expect them to do anything for me. After all, the problem 'corrected' itself. There is nothing to diagnose. I was aware of the 1000mile/4k rpm break in period before I bought the car, and it had 8 miles on it when I left the dealership. I've put 400 miles on it mostly commuting in city traffic. I've been very careful with my new baby, but like I mentioned before I'm not very experienced with driving manual. I have driven other cars with no trouble, but this is the first one I've owned/driven daily. If its truly abuse, I'm prepared to be responsible for it, but I really think something has to be wrong for this to happen on such a new car. I also wouldn't expect it to fail like this from abuse.

Are my assumptions correct? What say the armchair experts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check your clutch fluid level, had something like this happen with my Integra. All it needed was a little fluid.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like an issue that the dealer should look at for free.

I'll move this to the transmission forum.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb