09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 9
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 247

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by binjoau 2.0RS, I can see your argument deminishing the more and more people who add to this ...

  1. #121
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    2.0RS, I can see your argument deminishing the more and more people who add to this thread, clearly proving the fact that lots of 09 WRX's are having clutch issues.

    Oh and saying "I would know" makes you sound kinda silly. Unless your technical parts director for SOC and SOA
    How is it deminishing? Because more and more people are coming forward admiting they launch their cars and now their clutch is slipping? Lets look at the facts.

    You admitted to launching your car what a half dozen times withing 6k miles? Now also you proved that you obviously never owned a wrx before but claimed to drive stick for a long time. I don't care who it is a subaru is a different beast especially when launching. You being a rookie probably thought before launching "hmm I don't wanna blow my trans so let me slip the clutch just a little bit more then I should." It only takes once to form a hot spot or even really badly glaze a clutch and flywheel.

    Next fact. People come in saying they launched their cars. Ding ding. As much as you forum guys think you can pull a fast one on subaru dealers it's not difficult to tell the ones who beat their car and who doesn't. Then when we take the trans out all we have to do is look at the clutch and all the hard spots.

    I guess final fact. 2010's where's the clutch problem? Every time I mention the 2010's that have the same exact clutch in it you never say a thing. You're so hung up on this 2009 thing.

    So as I wrap this up I will comment on your last ditch effort to try and throw a zinger at me and how silly I must be. Yes I am way more in the know then you will ever be. I work at a dealer. and deal with guys like you all the time. My service manager (the guy who makes the call) is a very forgiving manager and warranties way more then he ever should. And just to prove you wrong again I also called tech line to ask if there is any known clutch issues with the 2009 and the answer was no.

    Just in case you don't realize what tech line is for subaru it's a number we can call and talk to operators about a problem we may be having. I guess the latest one would be the 09 outbacks that would leak through the map lights from the sunroof track. Had one leaking called them and they told me what I needed to do. They open a case number so they can keep track and see what the problem areas are. Therefore there are no known clutch issues that isn't due to driver error. Try a driving school maybe?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #122
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    2009 WRX hatch, bone stock. 17 k miles.

    clutch isn't totally gone but slips in 4th & 5th under power.

    Called the dealer today, they said bring it in. No argument at all.

    I'll follow up if they give me any trouble about replacing it.
    You make it sound like a dealer would argue with you that your clutch feels like it would be slipping. lol

  4. #123
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    dude.. clutches dont just light up, sorry but whatever that was is likely not your clutch. If you burned a clutch enough to get smoke I have serious doubts about being able to drive it away.

    and how many times have you launched the car? ah yes.. however many that was IS TOO MANY.

    This really kills me, to hear someone say they've got 1600mi on the car and they've launched it already. *face-palm*

    Must be nice to have a car that you can just beat the snot out of and not have a care in how well or how long its going to hold together.

    with that little mileage just bring it to the dealer and tell them what happened. Might want to leave out ANYTHING about launching the car. That in itself is considered abuse (and rightly so because it is) .. so if they know, they might try to stick you if anything is actually wrong.

    Likely if you were able to drive away and its not slipping.. probably not the clutch. I seriously do not recommend launching the car again though, unless of course you just have money to burn when you start breaking things.

    Oh, and welcome to the forum.. please make a post in the newbie intro section.
    I agree. If you make the choice to launch your car learn how to do it correctly on one clutch so for the next one you can make it last longer.

  5. #124
    Registered User timb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sebring Fl
    Posts
    175
    The clutch is not covered, I burnt mine out before 1000 miles were on the odometer, totally my fault, but they gave me a break and replaced it for free, and i have had not other problem with mine, after i really learned how to drive it.
    STIzzy!

  6. #125
    Registered User ILikeToGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    maybe the 2010s aren't showing up with bad clutches because they've had a year less time on them.

    or the 2010 owners are not doing craaazy stuff like driving their cars in snow. must not be reckless noobs like those damn '09 owners.

    edit: 15 guys now. not including the the guys who obviously burnt it up with extreme prejudice.
    Last edited by ILikeToGoFast; 08-03-2010 at 04:36 PM.

  7. #126
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by timb View Post
    The clutch is not covered, I burnt mine out before 1000 miles were on the odometer, totally my fault, but they gave me a break and replaced it for free, and i have had not other problem with mine, after i really learned how to drive it.
    See a man who's honest. If only everyone was like you and didn't place the blame on other people when it's them who is at fault.

  8. #127
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToGoFast View Post
    maybe the 2010s aren't showing up with bad clutches because they've had a year less time on them.
    2010's have been out for a tad over a year. The average american puts 12k miles on their car per year give or take. That's double of what you wasted yours in. Would have seen far more if it was a 2010 thing that I remind you has the same clutch and flywheel and pressure plate.


    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToGoFast View Post
    or the 2010 owners are not doing craaazy stuff like driving their cars in snow. must not be reckless noobs like those damn '09 owners.

    edit: 15 guys now. not including the the guys who obviously burnt it up with extreme prejudice.
    Maybe they don't but we do know one thing they can clearly drive better then you because I'm sure they all have fun with their cars.

    Damn 15? hmm....I should make a list of the 09-10' wrx's that I've replaced headlight bulbs on. I'm up to 5 now but I think I'm on to something here. I should make a thread about it and demand subaru step their game up and produce bulbs with higher quality fluid in it so they don't burn out as quickly. Hopefully they don't flag abuse on them.

  9. #128
    Registered User samf48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    3
    Turns out it was the clutch, unbelievable. Not so impressed right now with the quality of the clutch assemblies in the WRX. It was replaced on a "one time goodwill basis", which is a concern to me considering it only has 1600 miles on it. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Guess I'll just have to raise hell when the next clutch goes and they try to tell me it's not covered.

  10. #129
    Registered User ILikeToGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    2010's have been out for a tad over a year. The average american puts 12k miles on their car per year give or take. That's double of what you wasted yours in.
    No, it's not. I think you're confused. Maybe you're having trouble keeping track of who's who because there's so many guys in here with bad clutches. totally understandable.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Maybe they don't but we do know one thing they can clearly drive better then you because I'm sure they all have fun with their cars.
    Maybe, maybe not. I just wish that Subaru had informed me of this whole snow-eats-clutches issue. You'd think the salesman would have mentioned it, especially on the test drive when he said "hey, there's over a foot of snow in this parking lot close by, why don't you go drive around in it".

    and now you're comparing a lightbulb to a clutch. Ok. Like I said.

  11. #130
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,168
    I Support ClubWRX
    This issue is a dead horse anymore.

    More 09's have reported (unreasonable and reasonable) premature clutch failures than 2010's. Be it bad clutch material, or just terrible drivers in 09, they failed. Early. I have not seen the high number of reports on 2010s anywhere. I lean towards bad clutch material, but whatever.

    Regardless, it comes down to being respectful to the people at your dealer. If they screw you, it happens. Try another dealer. Call SoA and see what you can do. Really just about it on the subject, even if more people report it, nothings really going to change sadly =(.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  12. #131
    Mace Windu devilfluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    6,274
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Call SoA and see what you can do. Really just about it on the subject, even if more people report it, nothings really going to change sadly =(.
    Not really. If the problem is reported frequently enough, SOA could put out a service policy/TSB which could extend the warranty on the component, make warranty easier to get, or even just prompt creation of an updated part.

    None of that makes a premature clutch failure any less frustrating, but maybe the next guy doesn't have to fight so hard...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

    Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

  13. #132
    Registered User mudferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada/Ethiopia/Madagascar
    Posts
    1,979
    This issue is almost doomed from the start; problems with a wear item.

    As others have said though, if enough people are reporting problems, and enough of them are deemed not to be driver error, then they can run their fancy statistics and determine a course of action.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

  14. #133
    Mace Windu devilfluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    south jersey
    Posts
    6,274
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    problems with a wear item.
    Wear items are just as prone to manufacturing and design failures as any other parts.

    For example, Chrysler has extended the warranty on brake pads(wear item) for several models over the last couple years due to repeated premature failures.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

    Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

  15. #134
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToGoFast View Post
    No, it's not. I think you're confused. Maybe you're having trouble keeping track of who's who because there's so many guys in here with bad clutches. totally understandable.
    Soooo many guys with this problem? You said 15. Hell I'll even give you 100 guys with 09's with clutches that went on them prematurely. Now take a guess at how many 09 wrx's were built. Funny they are all on enthusiast websites known for modding and beating their cars.

    This is less of an issue then all the morons who destroyed their 02 wrx transmissions launching the car.

    And by the way not only did I question tech line about your clutch theory but I also asked two engineers who came in today to help out on a vibration car. They both looked at me puzzled and the one says and I quote "You mean people think there is a clutch issue other then drivers error? (everyone laughed who was around) No there are no issues or problems with the clutches" This is strait out of the mouth of the guys who know everything there is to know about subaru issues.

    Now while I actually ask people who are in the know you can just keep brushing off everything I'm telling you and think that there must be a subaru conspiracy. The only issue is the moron connected to the wheel. If that offends you then adjust your driving style accordingly or upgrade your clutch to suit your driving style. Stop trying to get things for free because you don't wanna pay for your mistake.



    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToGoFast View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I just wish that Subaru had informed me of this whole snow-eats-clutches issue. You'd think the salesman would have mentioned it, especially on the test drive when he said "hey, there's over a foot of snow in this parking lot close by, why don't you go drive around in it".

    and now you're comparing a lightbulb to a clutch. Ok. Like I said.
    If you think that just because you're driving in the snow then there is zero way to glaze or burn your clutch then you easily prove my point at how you're at fault.

  16. #135
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,168
    I Support ClubWRX
    So 2.0... It must be driver error that causes the engine to knock and blow ring lands? Even though its an obvious fact that the Subaru stock tune runs rich/lean in the wrong places and is very prone to detonation?

    Stuff happens. Clutches normally don't burn out like that though. Even with bad driving. If people want to post their experience, let them. It does not directly mean that Subaru is a bad company, just that mistakes happen and they want to see if its a large scale mistake.

    No need to go around telling people they can't drive when their clutches go out (that) early. It is really beating a dead horse to argue about it. Everybody knows that dealers point the finger at bad driving. Drivers point the finger at a bad clutch.

    Just let the statistics play out instead of saying this is a dumb issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •