09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 8
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 247

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by binjoau I have an 09 WRX with just over 10k on it and over the past few ...

  1. #106
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    I have an 09 WRX with just over 10k on it and over the past few days the clutch has been starting to slip and is getting worse and worse! Is it possible that my cluth may be going in my car??

    I only run Cobb Stage 1 with an AP and although I do drive my car I dont ride the clutch and Ive only ever done a few launches.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    Maybe see the post directly following yours???

    Oh and my car was stock when the clutch went. Only modified after the new one was put in and that has been fine.

    Strange????
    Might wanna read your own story dude. You said yourself you ran cobb ap on it. That is not stock hp. Then on top of that you state yourself you launched it a few times. Well a few times within 6k miles is a lot. You may have driven stick your whole life but clearly you've never owned a subaru like this or you would have stated this fact already. Lesson learned and you will learn how to drive this car properly.


    And if you're trying to be cute with your boy who also can't drive saying his clutch went out too then he might wanna write a better story next time. He claims that he's driving like the day he bought it. In his avy his car is clearly sliding around in the snow. It's clear that if that's how he drives it every day do you think the clutch will last? Good try though.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #107
    Registered User ILikeToGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    42
    wow, dude

    That picture was taken in a parking lot two minutes from my house, and we wanted to take some fun pictures. it's just a cool picture. Driving your car in the snow generally does not affect the clutch negatively. anyways it's July now. so yeah.


    edit: By my count there's 12 guys with 09 WRX's in this thread that have had their clutches replaced. give or take.

    seems a little extreme to me.
    Last edited by ILikeToGoFast; 07-29-2010 at 08:31 AM.

  4. #108
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToGoFast View Post
    wow, dude

    That picture was taken in a parking lot two minutes from my house, and we wanted to take some fun pictures. it's just a cool picture. Driving your car in the snow generally does not affect the clutch negatively. anyways it's July now. so yeah.


    edit: By my count there's 12 guys with 09 WRX's in this thread that have had their clutches replaced. give or take.

    seems a little extreme to me.
    Yes I'm sure your thought process went like this.

    "Hey it's snowing let me go to a parking lot two minutes from my house so I can take a cool picture."

    Sorry man that may work at a dealer to someone who doesn't know better but not here.

    It snowed, you said hey I have an awd rally inspired car I'm going to go have fun in the snow. On the way out you call your buddy to take some pictures while you're out. You can't sit there and say you've never beat on your car.

    If there are so many problems with 09 clutches why isn't there a problem with 10' clutches when they are the same part number?

  5. #109
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    If there are so many problems with 09 clutches why isn't there a problem with 10' clutches when they are the same part number?
    bad run of friction material?

    it DOES happen in manufacturing ya know.. every company ends up with a bad run of something sooner or later. Just because the part number didn't change doesn't mean the part or parts of said part didn't.

    also, just because in the computer or on the microfiche a part number is listed doesn't mean that is the ACTUAL part on the car. I've worked many a parts department in my time and can personally attest to have seen this with my own eyes. Granted, american manufacturers are worse about this than most.. but when they're putting cars together on the line they dont just stop to change everything over to the next model year.. they keep rolling with whats in the bins until its gone. So with that in mind it IS very possible that there are 09s out there with 08 clutches.

    If they're actually different ( I dont know if they are or are not) that could possibly explain why they're failing. I dont see how a mere 40hp difference could cause a failure, but who knows. With today's tight tolerances and money pinching.. there are a lot of IFs floatin around.

    Again, like I mentioned earlier the only way to take this from a pissing contest to actuality is to compare build dates. If there is a pattern, it leaves less to the defense that its just driver error.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  6. #110
    Registered User 2.0Rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    King of Prussia, Pa
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    bad run of friction material?

    it DOES happen in manufacturing ya know.. every company ends up with a bad run of something sooner or later. Just because the part number didn't change doesn't mean the part or parts of said part didn't.

    also, just because in the computer or on the microfiche a part number is listed doesn't mean that is the ACTUAL part on the car. I've worked many a parts department in my time and can personally attest to have seen this with my own eyes. Granted, american manufacturers are worse about this than most.. but when they're putting cars together on the line they dont just stop to change everything over to the next model year.. they keep rolling with whats in the bins until its gone. So with that in mind it IS very possible that there are 09s out there with 08 clutches.

    If they're actually different ( I dont know if they are or are not) that could possibly explain why they're failing. I dont see how a mere 40hp difference could cause a failure, but who knows. With today's tight tolerances and money pinching.. there are a lot of IFs floatin around.

    Again, like I mentioned earlier the only way to take this from a pissing contest to actuality is to compare build dates. If there is a pattern, it leaves less to the defense that its just driver error.
    If that were the case and there were defective clutches I'd know about it. Service manager would have at least mentioned it to one of us or there would be a tsb about it if it was a problem affecting most wrx's.

  7. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6
    had mine replaced at 11k

  8. #112
    Registered User binjoau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    776
    2.0RS, I can see your argument deminishing the more and more people who add to this thread, clearly proving the fact that lots of 09 WRX's are having clutch issues.

    Oh and saying "I would know" makes you sound kinda silly. Unless your technical parts director for SOC and SOA
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

  9. #113
    Registered User samf48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    3

    Red face Burned up clutch?

    Not sure if this is what the problem is but I just bought a 2010 WRX premium and I think the clutch might be jacked up. I was sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic at the GW bridge into NYC and the damn thing starts billowing smoke. At first I thought it might of overheated because of the smell and the smoke. I have all of 1600 miles on this car and I've launched it maybe three times since the break-in period of 1000 miles. After the smoke cleared I started driving it and immediately noticed a difference in the clutch pedal tension. I'm not new to driving a standard transmission so I'm pretty sure whatever it was, was defective. I'll post back seeing how this is a Sunday and nobody will be looking at the car till tomorrow.

  10. #114
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    dude.. clutches dont just light up, sorry but whatever that was is likely not your clutch. If you burned a clutch enough to get smoke I have serious doubts about being able to drive it away.

    and how many times have you launched the car? ah yes.. however many that was IS TOO MANY.

    This really kills me, to hear someone say they've got 1600mi on the car and they've launched it already. *face-palm*

    Must be nice to have a car that you can just beat the snot out of and not have a care in how well or how long its going to hold together.

    with that little mileage just bring it to the dealer and tell them what happened. Might want to leave out ANYTHING about launching the car. That in itself is considered abuse (and rightly so because it is) .. so if they know, they might try to stick you if anything is actually wrong.

    Likely if you were able to drive away and its not slipping.. probably not the clutch. I seriously do not recommend launching the car again though, unless of course you just have money to burn when you start breaking things.

    Oh, and welcome to the forum.. please make a post in the newbie intro section.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-01-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  11. #115
    Registered User samf48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    3
    guess I wasn't exactly sure what was meant by "launching". After googling it, this is surely not what I've been doing. To rephrase, I've "gunned" the throttle, and revved to about 6000 RPM, not launch. Otherwise I've been very gentle with it, because I don't want to destroy a brand new car. Whatever it is has to be related to the transmission because there is way less tension on the pedal now. Although I agree that there shouldn't have been that much smoke coming out of there if it was a clutch issue.

  12. #116
    Registered User wrx1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dover DE
    Posts
    614
    My 09 that looks just like yours also had the clutch go out but at 9k miles. I took it to the dealer had it replaced. Do not give them any reason to blame you for the problem.

    Go in and say my clutch is slipping. when they ask you what did you do tell them you drive normal and never launched or gunned it, tell them you drive with your foot off the clutch. They will try to pin it on you (they did that to me)... hold your ground. I got mine switch out for free.

    When it happend to me i looked around the net and found several other 09 WRXs with bad clutches with close to the same miles as me.
    Last edited by wrx1234; 08-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.

  13. #117
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    if the dealer wont work with you, you can always go directly to SOA.

    didn't mean to come off like a sarcastic ass, but... well I am whats I am

    If this is your first awd car just remember you're moving 4 wheels instead of two, and if wound up that torque has to go somewhere. Its either going to move the car or smoke the clutch.. The driveline has twice as much traction as a traditional car.. so instead of wheel spin, the clutch/trans takes the beating.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  14. #118
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,154
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    bad run of friction material?

    it DOES happen in manufacturing ya know.. every company ends up with a bad run of something sooner or later. Just because the part number didn't change doesn't mean the part or parts of said part didn't.
    +1

    I agree. **** happens. In manufacturing, when **** happens, it is mass produced. Just how the world turns.

    Clutches shouldn't go in under 2k miles in my opinion due to driver habits. The only way they should go in 2k miles is if they are literally burnt apart by launching HARD. Possible, but not to the extent I've seen this issue reported. Just play nice with the local dealers and see if you can get them replaced with better ones I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

  15. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    1

    Another clutch down - 17k miles - stock 09 WRX

    2009 WRX hatch, bone stock. 17 k miles.

    clutch isn't totally gone but slips in 4th & 5th under power.

    Called the dealer today, they said bring it in. No argument at all.

    I'll follow up if they give me any trouble about replacing it.

  16. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    133
    I can't imagine anyone being as hard on their clutch day to day than I have, exempting the dragsters.

    My 08 was my first stick shift and it was a few months before I stopped killing it at the stop lights. I'd say around 8k I was comfortable enough to gun it out of first. I'm sure I smoked the clutch once or twice, and since then I've been to two Autocross events.

    That said I've got 43k on my original clutch and its only now getting a little soft in grip. I think a clutch with less than 20k is barely consitered "gently used" unless its been to the straight track a few times.

    You'd really have to grease the disc to have it go out that early.

    Of coarse I've heard stories about newb drivers launching their cars out of 2nd gear and obliterating their transmission, and the dealer still warrantied it, twice because it was less than 20k.

    I guess it depends on how generous they're feeling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •