09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrxington some crappy shop just told me i failed inspection cause my brake pads are low... chances ...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxington View Post
    some crappy shop just told me i failed inspection cause my brake pads are low... chances are it was just someone not knowing what the hell they are doing at the local place. If i pass inspection ill post the local places name so no one else has to go through the same thing.
    I'm putting money down that they thought they had a easy target to make some dough on a brake job that you didn't need.

Had a shop do this once with my Merkur, Brought it in for a simple alignment. Guy comes back to me and says " well sir, after we aligned it we checked out the tires and brakes.. tires are on the edge and your brakes are shot. "

me: " really?? Thats funny cuz the tires are 5k mi from new and the front brake pads are not only brand new but the entire assembly is swapped from a RS Cosworth.. do you know what one of those even is? If you do, where would YOU source those parts locally? "

tech: " uhm.. uhhh.. well you're RO is at the desk and the car is all set...... "

me: " yeah, thought so"

Apparently they picked the wrong dude that day to attempt to hose over. I'm sure shadier shops do it pretty often with people that just dont know any better. If you're dealer says the brakes are fine.. not only should you post up on forums but you should report them to the local authorities that handle their business license.

a lot of 09's had clutch issues anyway.. there were reports of guys with toasted clutches in the first 2k mi.
    Last edited by mangostick; 06-10-2010 at 09:23 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I'm putting money down that they thought they had a easy target to make some dough on a brake job that you didn't need.

Had a shop do this once with my Merkur, Brought it in for a simple alignment. Guy comes back to me and says " well sir, after we aligned it we checked out the tires and brakes.. tires are on the edge and your brakes are shot. "

me: " really?? Thats funny cuz the tires are 5k mi from new and the front brake pads are not only brand new but the entire assembly is swapped from a RS Cosworth.. do you know what one of those even is? If you do, where would YOU source those parts locally? "

tech: " uhm.. uhhh.. well you're RO is at the desk and the car is all set...... "

me: " yeah, thought so"

Apparently they picked the wrong dude that day to attempt to hose over. I'm sure shadier shops do it pretty often with people that just dont know any better. If you're dealer says the brakes are fine.. not only should you post up on forums but you should report them to the local authorities that handle their business license.

a lot of 09's had clutch issues anyway.. there were reports of guys with toasted clutches in the first 2k mi.
    God I hate shops for that very reason. My dad took his Pontiac Grand Prix to a Big-O tire in the town he lives in, which is one of two auto shops (small resort town), wanting to get the tires rotated. Well, the tires were all worn down to bare rubber on the insides, and these tires are pretty much brand new. Tech comes back and tells him that all four shocks are blown.

Thankfully my dad has more sense than that so he took it to the other shop for a second opinion, that tech comes back and says the shocks are fine, just needs an alignment (thank god for sensible tech's), get's alignment done and my dad proceeds to write a letter to the Big-O corporate office about it threatening to go to the BBB, get's a call from the district manager over that region for Big-O asking to have him come in to have his car looked at again. The DM looks at the car, and points out that all 4 shocks are perfectly fine, clean, no leakage at all, so he says his tech tried to sell him something he didn't, he then proceeds to give my dad all new tires, nitrogen filled, and pay for the alignment he had done. So my dad comes out paying absolutely nothing and getting an alignment and all four tires done.

Good on that DM, but **** that stupid ass tech. One more reason why I don't let other people touch my car.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

pretty much, when I had the merkur the ONLY things I'd have done by someone else were tire mounting (I dont have the equipment or I would myself) .. and alignments (same situation) ..

So just happens that the one time (if that) out of the year the car saw someone else's tools thy guy tries to hose me. lol.. too bad for him.

my wrx see's the dealer for all its work but the only reason is to build a solid warranty packet in case anything goes wrong. Every oil change, tire rotation.. blah blah.. all done at the dealer exactly on interval if not slightly early.

She wont see my tools for regular maint until the warranty expires. Any mods (like the sway bars/endlinks) I do myself. Granted, I have a really good dealer too so that adds greatly to the confidence factor. Not once have they tried to sell me something the car didn't need or play me about what services were being done.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

My clutch went out this week on my 09 WRX. I have about 23K miles on it. Hmm.... there may be a pattern here.

what is it with the 09's.. I'm wondering if you guys got a bad run of clutch material or somethin.... far too many of em droppin to point it at driver error. meh.. somethings up with that. I've got right around that mileage on my 2010.. so far no issues.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    The 06 had the same problem. Subaru has a habit of upping power, and not having a clutch to match it. Stage 2 06 WRXs were burning through clutches in 20-30k when the 06 first came out.

Mine was gone in about 20k, but I had a vf39
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sounds like people need to learn how to drive. Just because you don't launch your car doesn't mean you can't fry your clutch. We have a customer that burns through clutches once every 6-8 months. He's an older man who doesn't launch his car or even care about racing his car. He just doesn't know how to drive but instead of changing his driving habits he's totally fine with replacing the clutch that frequently. They even tried to sell him an auto and he refuses.

yeah but this is pretty widespread.. all across the wrx related forums there are guys and gals crying about fried clutches anywhere from 2.5k mi to 25k mi..

while I agree that a lot of people are overzealous with clutch slip.. still shouldn't kill a clutch THAT quickly for THAT many people. Something doesn't add up. Here I've got just a touch under 24k mi on my 2010 and no issues at all. ... hmm..
    only way to really get a solid patten established would be to start tracking build dates.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

yeah but this is pretty widespread.. all across the wrx related forums there are guys and gals crying about fried clutches anywhere from 2.5k mi to 25k mi..

while I agree that a lot of people are overzealous with clutch slip.. still shouldn't kill a clutch THAT quickly for THAT many people. Something doesn't add up. Here I've got just a touch under 24k mi on my 2010 and no issues at all. ... hmm..
    only way to really get a solid patten established would be to start tracking build dates.
    People with Evo's cried the same story when they first came out. My buddy ran his till 70k with half of that time rocking 300 whp before it showed signs of slipping. He didn't beat the crap out of his car like some street racers but he drove it pretty hard. Same thing applies here.

People always claim they drive their cars perfect on the forums and that they don't beat their cars but their clutches go very prematurely. Stick a camera in the car and watch that same person drive and you'd easily see the real story.

I'm not disagreeing with that thought line.. actually sounds pretty reasonable to me

but why no reports of 08's and 10's acing clutches? Just the 09's.

it still doesn't add up right.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'm not disagreeing with that thought line.. actually sounds pretty reasonable to me

but why no reports of 08's and 10's acing clutches? Just the 09's.

it still doesn't add up right.
    Wouldn't make any sense at all since I'm almost 100% positive the 08-10' clutches are the same exact thing. If if the 08's aren't then the 09-10's are the same thing.

Actually had an older guy with a stock 09 come in for a clutch around 15k miles give or take. This guy is a huge pain and complains about everything so we did it for him. Put the clutch in and he came back in complaining about the shifter. lol. In the end every time I see his car come in I walk the other way. Yesterday I saw him leaving after getting an oil change and damn that guy can't drive. Barely moving reving the engine and letting out the clutch. I couldn't tell you how much he did this while navigating around a corner where someone was blocking his way temporarily. I walked back in and told the guy who did the clutch I see how he went through that clutch. lol.

Like I said, all driver error. I'm sure there are instances where there is a defect but I can't see more then one happening.

sorry but your wrong..... there has been a clearly obvious problem with the 09 clutch. I have driven MT my entire life, my clutch failed, yes failed not got worn out it just quit one day and when we looked at it at the dealer it had disintegrated.

Plus the 08 WRX clutch was not the same part as the 09 and 10.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    sorry but your wrong..... there has been a clearly obvious problem with the 09 clutch. I have driven MT my entire life, my clutch failed, yes failed not got worn out it just quit one day and when we looked at it at the dealer it had disintegrated.

Plus the 08 WRX clutch was not the same part as the 09 and 10.
    I laugh because it's either driver error or the extra power you're putting to the stock clutch just isn't sitting well with the clutch. How much tq do you seriously think a stock clutch can take? I wouldn't be to quick to put blame on anyone but yourself.

sighhhhhhh

I have an 09 WRX. My clutch went this week. My car is drivable, but just barely, above about 2500RPM she starts to slip bad. A week ago it drove just like the day I bought it. about 24000 km ago.

Gonna hopefully get it in tomorrow, hope I get a loaner.

Since I also had to have an engine replaced (well documented problem on this and other forums) I am pretty happy recommending people don't buy an 09 WRX. frickin hell.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    I laugh because it's either driver error or the extra power you're putting to the stock clutch just isn't sitting well with the clutch. How much tq do you seriously think a stock clutch can take? I wouldn't be to quick to put blame on anyone but yourself.
    Maybe see the post directly following yours???

Oh and my car was stock when the clutch went. Only modified after the new one was put in and that has been fine.

Strange????
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.