09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I used to work in a VW/BMW dealer and our service department made damn sure that the district reps didn't ...

I used to work in a VW/BMW dealer and our service department made damn sure that the district reps didn't have a reason to show up unless it was a really good one. Nobody likes big brother stepping in.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Got my 09 back from dealer with new clutch, installed under "goodwill" warranty repair. I get the feeling that I'm on my own if I lose another one. No word from service manager on how I should change my driving habits, etc. If this thing is going to toast a clutch every 9k I'm just going to drive it like an Imprezza. I drive fast sometimes, I guess, but I don't launch etc. I'm not a boy racer - I'm nearly 40 and I've driven for 22 years now, and I've never lost a clutch before. I really don't know how I managed to fry it.
    Last edited by TheCrusher; 01-28-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo / spelling

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusher View Post
    Got my 09 back from dealer with new cltuch, installed under "goodwill" warranty repair. I get the feeling that I'm on my own if I lose another one. No word from service manager on how I should change my driving habits, etc. If this thing is going to toast a clutch every 9k I'm just going to drive it like an Imprezza. I drive fast sometimes, I guess, but I don't launch etc. I'm not a boy racer - I'm nearly 40 and I've driven for 22 years now, and I've never lost a clutch before. I really don't know how I managed to fry it.
    I'm on hold with soa to try to get them to cover a clutch. I just purchased this vehicle a little more than a month ago and the cluch is already gone. It has 27,000 and I have put two of those on it. What did you tell SOA so that they would cover your clutch. Thanks

Got my 09 back from dealer with new cltuch, installed under "goodwill" warranty repair.
    the exact same wording as my dealer used!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    I really didn't say much, I didn't go in hostile or anything like that. I told them what was up, and that I drove a little fast, but I don't track, or drag it. They seemed as befuddled as I was. I didn't get to inspect the old parts, but I'm pretty sure I would have just seen a toasted / welded clutch or a fried clutch basket. I did have to call SOA, but it took about 15 mins of "Hey, could you call dealership XXX and tell them about the clutch warranty policy. I don't think they have seen the new coverage statement from the website blah blah blah". I got a call from the service manager and he said SOA authorized the repairs. No flak. New clutch feels totally different, by the way.

I really didn't say much, I didn't go in hostile or anything like that. I told them what was up, and that I drove a little fast, but I don't track, or drag it. They seemed as befuddled as I was. I didn't get to inspect the old parts, but I'm pretty sure I would have just seen a toasted / welded clutch or a fried clutch basket. I did have to call SOA, but it took about 15 mins of "Hey, could you call dealership XXX and tell them about the clutch warranty policy. I don't think they have seen the new coverage statement from the website blah blah blah". I got a call from the service manager and he said SOA authorized the repairs. No flak. New clutch feels totally different, by the way.
    well they just told me they are going to talk to the dealership and see what went wrong. I don't think it is looking good for me and since it was SOA i did keep my cool. Looks like I am going to be out some $$$s. I hope not though

Is it a lot lot lighter???

Mine feels totally different now, I prefered it heavy.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

Hey guys,

I have read your replies and I just got a call from my dealership where I bought it in Glen Burnie, MD telling me that I my 09 WRX need a new clutch. I took my car last week to them because I had slipping clutch and now they tell me I need a new one. And guys I dont do any stupid stuff on the road besides it only has 7200 miles and out of 6 months I had it it was in the body shop for 1.5 months but it was just paint job because some ***** scratched the side of my car. Now I think I need to call the dealership and negotiate with service manager first and then if he doesn't want to cover it then call SOA? Or should I just call SOA right away?
    And one more thing which department of SOA should I call, warranty or service?

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by nitto; 02-11-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nitto View Post
    Hey guys,

I have read your replies and I just got a call from my dealership where I bought it in Glen Burnie, MD telling me that I my 09 WRX need a new clutch. I took my car last week to them because I had slipping clutch and now they tell me I need a new one. And guys I dont do any stupid stuff on the road besides it only has 7200 miles and out of 6 months I had it it was in the body shop for 1.5 months but it was just paint job because some ***** scratched the side of my car. Now I think I need to call the dealership and negotiate with service manager first and then if he doesn't want to cover it then call SOA? Or should I just call SOA right away?
    And one more thing which department of SOA should I call, warranty or service?

Thanks for the advice!
    Just say, so when do you guys want to replace it under warranty then?? Just be assumptive of the fix. If they say no, then call SOA.

There is an obvious issue with these cars and weak clutches. It makes me wonder if they are being replaced with a slightly different clutch or if the clutches are the same???

Hmmm.....

Is it a lot lot lighter???

Mine feels totally different now, I prefered it heavy.
    Mine does too. I liked it heavier. I just put 3000 miles on the new clutch and it doesnt feel like the original at all. Too bad they wouldnt replace it with a clutch of my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    ok so one more question, when i got the car back the clutch was a lot stiffer than before. i went and test drove a stock 08 (i have an 08) last month and the clutch was extremely light compared to mine. so why do you think this happened?
    for my 09 it was the opposite i had a super stiff clutch and they ended up replacing it and now its super light

Angry Same problem here.

My clutch was working fine the day it died (2 days after it got serviced by my dealership in Bethlehem PA). I slowed down for the toll and when I started again, it started slipping big time. I bearly made it off the highway. Long story short, 13,600 miles, burned clutch. No track, drive the car as I should ( paid for WRX not Outback Sport). I'm calling Subaru and sending a letter as well. They covered it like you said, "goodwil" and I told them good will my as... I was stuck in NJ for 8 hours until I finally got a rental, Hudson Subaru in Jersey City treated me like dirt. Sales manager told me no service loaner or rental that I was on my own. This is a brand new car, brakes are good, tires are good. Won't you think that those components would go as well if you are abusing the car? Also, I got the 100,000 mile warranty as well ($2,200) extra and they told me they would cover the clutch the first time it dies before 100,000 miles or 5 years and I don't want this counting as my first time. They know this is a weak clutch and the people that actually drive the car as a peformance car and not a dodge Neon are going to get screwed by Subaru.

Very concerned about this thread! Got my '09 late last year, just broke 6000 miles. I occasionally smell the acrid odor when backing up only, never when going fwd accept in first few times driving when I was getting the hang of the clutch. I asked about the reverse smell and the Subie technician's recommendation was "avoid backing up"!! WTF! Love this car, and its obvious that you need to drive it aggressively and differently compared to other manuals (prior car 1st gen Miata so a big difference!), but the clutch issues sound widespread on the '08s and '09s. For the record, I'm pushing 40 and similar to a few on these threads, commute and do the grocery runs 99% of the time, and push it speed wise 1% of the time with never any aggressive launches, so wouldn't say I'm hard on the clutch *at all*. Fingers crossed my clutch lasts!!

One thing guys... If your getting on the throttle and being a bit spirited, but maybe not shift very well, it's completely normal that your clutch will burn a bit and smell bad.

We have all done it. It's called the guilt trip and hope our cars forgive us...

You organic clutch will rebed and fix itself eventually... And you'll still get 80k out of it, if it survives your learning curve.

Now, burning your clutch in reverse is not normal, nor is experiencing slipping under 30-50k with a stock car. That I would be concerned with.

I have a Stage 3 hardcore clutch and I still get that smell at the track, but she still grabs...
    Last edited by Pavia; 03-25-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    One thing guys... If your getting on the throttle and being a bit spirited, but maybe not shift very well, it's completely normal that your clutch will burn a bit and smell bad.

We have all done it. It's called the guilt trip and hope our cars forgive us...

You organic clutch will rebed and fix itself eventually... And you'll still get 80k out of it, if it survives your learning curve.

Now, burning your clutch in reverse is not normal, nor is experiencing slipping under 30-50k with a stock car. That I would be concerned with.

I have a Stage 3 hardcore clutch and I still get that smell at the track, but she still grabs...
    I have never dropped the clutch and I know how to drive an AWD car- The clutch went out on me under NORMAL driving conditions- one day it was working and then the next day it was slipping. I don't know what you meant about that "learning curve" crack-
    MY assertions are based on the FACT that Subaru of America replaced the clutch, with no questions asked and no drama- in effect, admiting that something was amiss. If you've ever been around the automobile industry service industry you know that dealerships try everything in thier power (sometimes legal, sometimes not) to not honor warranty work- ESPECIALLY expensive repairs like the power train.
    That being said, I don't have the smelly reverse gear anymore and this clutch feels much lighter than the first one..... but not smelling or slipping yet...Subaru of America did do what they said and I haven't had to pay a penny in this whole ordeal- but I can't have a car that is going to drop a clutch every 9000 miles under normal driving conditons...I don't care to take this car to the track and I don't street race- I'm 38, not 18. I hope this is some quirk of the 09 models and that the new 2011
    widebody" has this newer, updated clutch...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.