09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm late on this thread, but I'm hoping on anyways. I was told very sternly when I was leaving the ...

I'm late on this thread, but I'm hoping on anyways. I was told very sternly when I was leaving the dealership with my new WRX that the Turbo and clutch was not covered under the factory warranty.

So, I don't know if this guy didn't know what he was talking about or what. I sure hope its covered just to be on the safe side.
    Grant | Stink Eye-Mob #133 | '09 WRX Premium
    STI Short Shifter, 25mm Front Sway Bar, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Endlinks, Perrin Stealth (Black) Turbo back exhaust
    Pictures of My WRX http://www.flickr.com/photos/37962357@N02/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That sounds ridiculous. I'll bet he is full of crap.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    That sounds ridiculous. I'll bet he is full of crap.
    That's kinda what I thought, but I guess it makes sense for them, if they think all WRX owners abuse their cars. Which clearly isn't the case for the majority of us.
    Grant | Stink Eye-Mob #133 | '09 WRX Premium
    STI Short Shifter, 25mm Front Sway Bar, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Endlinks, Perrin Stealth (Black) Turbo back exhaust
    Pictures of My WRX http://www.flickr.com/photos/37962357@N02/

I Support ClubWRX
    He's full of it. Clutch is covered 3/36, and turbo is the same as your drivetrain/powertrain warranty.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    a Glazed clutch means you burnt the clutch face until it glazes over and becomes slippery. This makes it so that the clutch begins to slip, or won't engage at all. It happens with too much slipping while engaging (aka too much gas not enough clutch), or a clutch that cant handle extreme power.

A glazed clutch is usually recoverable, either by machining off a small layer, or by daily driving until the glaze gets worn off.
    How much of the clutch do you have to burn up before it gets to a point where it's severely glazed.

I had a slight "incident" where I was cruzing along and picking up speed nicely (60mph-ish) untill I saw a puff of smoke (from the driveside wheel well) at which point I realized what was going on. It coudln't have been no more than a good 3-5 seconds that I was "slightly" riding the clutch. It felt soo soft I didn't realize my foot was still on it
    Do you think this may have did some major damage to the clutch? Glazed?

It's an 09 WRX hatch. It's only got 1260 miles. I still can't believe how stupid that was! Is it as bad as I think it is?
    Strangely enough I did this right after the recommended break in period and was begining to shift at higher RPMs.

Is anyone else having a strange time getting use to going from a "stiff" clutch (I use to own an 06) to a "soft" clutch (in the 09) ?
    Hearing these strange clutch problems doesn't seem to make it any better.

Thanks for the help.
    Hope I'm not straying to far off the subject.
    Last edited by SmokescreenWRKS; 06-12-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Clarifying And spelling error

^^^ I doubt you did any damage to your clutch. Just drive normally for a day or two and I'll the smell goes away.

If you overheat your clutch again, immediately disengage the clutch and let it cool a bit for 10-15 secs before reengaging. This will reduce glazing.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    I have an 09 WRX with just over 10k on it and over the past few days the clutch has been starting to slip and is getting worse and worse! Is it possible that my cluth may be going in my car??
    Did the dealer have any explination as to why your clutch started sliping after only 10000km (6,250miles)?
    Were you able to ask if you could have the clutch plate or anything the dealer replaced?

Oh and thanks, Pavia, for the comment. That 5 seconds (riding the clutch) and seeing that billow of smoke made it seem like a lifetime. That's exactly what I did. Let it cool (disengaged clutch) while I was coasting.
    Will daily driving actually recover a glazed clutch?
    Has anything like this happened to anyone and encountered problems?
    Last edited by SmokescreenWRKS; 06-14-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: adding

Same thing happened to my 09 wrx sedan yesterday. I was driving along and all of a sudden there was NO power going to the wheels. Car just went from 3K rpms to 6K and i didnt even move. Clutch went after only 10700 miles and ive had it for about 9 months. Just spoke to the dealership and itshould all be covered under warrenty. Ill check with them when i pick it up in 2 days as to why this may have happened. I dont want to go through clutches every 10K miles. Luckily i didnt mod anything yet so they cant blame me for the problem... My turbo back exhaust and accessport are already wrapped under the christmas tree but now im thinking i should wait until at least springtime to bolt anything on.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxington View Post
    Luckily i didnt mod anything yet so they cant blame me for the problem...
    That's never stopped them before
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Treat this clutch well because they're not going to give you another one.

My 09 has 9850mi on it and my clutch is fine. Course every car I've ever owned was a manual since I was 16.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

2009 WRX - 9401 mi - Clutch went out today. Stays in gear, but slips when the turbo hits. Smells really bad. Had it towed to Strohman in North Virginia by Subaru Roadside Assistance. Service Manager calling me back tomorrow.

Good luck Crusher. I had the same awful smell in my car and then all of a sudden no power to the wheels. The dealership i took mine to didnt give me any problems about replacing the clutch with a new stock clutch. Hope everything works out. Do you have any mods? If you do they may try to push back and tell you they wont replace it but hold your ground and call SOA if they give you any problems.

[QUOTE=SmokescreenWRKS;2475882]Did the dealer have any explination as to why your clutch started sliping after only 10000km (6,250miles)?
    Were you able to ask if you could have the clutch plate or anything the dealer replaced?[QUOTE]

no not explanation at all, ive owned only MT cars my whole life so its not from what I would call amatuer driving mistakes.

I did however get to see the clutch when it was removed and it had disintegrated into a complete metalic mush. The service manager said "oh il show you the heat marks from abuse and as he went to show me the tech removing it was like um, no the clutch just fell apart".

Maybe a batch of weak clutches???? Its obviously not an isolated incident.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mase33 View Post
    That's kinda what I thought, but I guess it makes sense for them, if they think all WRX owners abuse their cars. Which clearly isn't the case for the majority of us.
    doesn't matter if they think your going to abuse it or not, your warranty covers the entire driveline until a certain age/mileage. No ifs, ands or buts. The only way that does not happen, is if you modify the vehicle in a way that voids the warranty. Even then, they have to PROVE your modification is actually related to the failure. If its abuse they're claiming it has to be blatantly obvious and usually a repeat visit for the same problem. If your dealer wont honor your warranty, you need to call SOA and raise holy hell. No dealer likes the district rep getting in on their business and they really dont like the negative customer support ratings.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    doesn't matter if they think your going to abuse it or not, your warranty covers the entire driveline until a certain age/mileage. No ifs, ands or buts. The only way that does not happen, is if you modify the vehicle in a way that voids the warranty. Even then, they have to PROVE your modification is actually related to the failure. If its abuse they're claiming it has to be blatantly obvious and usually a repeat visit for the same problem. If your dealer wont honor your warranty, you need to call SOA and raise holy hell. No dealer likes the district rep getting in on their business and they really dont like the negative customer support ratings.
    +1 that's what I did and the dealership suddenly became very cooperative!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!