09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does your clutch burn while your rev matching? Does the clutch only burn at the friction point or also when ...

Does your clutch burn while your rev matching? Does the clutch only burn at the friction point or also when its fully pushed in? This is my first manual car and I'm a little confused about this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The throwout bearing takes some wear while fully pushed in, but not the pad. The clutch wears anywhere in-between fully pushed in and the full release point. The clutch should have extremely little to no wear if you rev-match (perfect rev-match should be near zero wear) and thus you can see how a clutch could last 150k-200k+ miles since it's like only lightly touching your brake when taking off when done right and almost nothing the rest of the time while rev-matching.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

The clutch "weirdness" seems to be getting worse. I'm not sure if the hill assist is the culprit or not. I'll back out of a parking space and quickly shift to first and immediately take off and sometimes the clutch just isn't there (i.e. grabbing) at least until it's over half way out and then it suddenly kicks in. I'm thinking maybe the hill assist kicked in for some reason and was holding the brake? But if I clutch in and then out again it's normal and grabbing not far off the floor.

But today it felt like it did that while I was backing out instead (might be a very tiny slope in the spot I was in so I suppose it could be the hill holder again). But oddly, when I KNOW The hill assist is on (when I'm on an actual noticeable hill and I don't roll back when I let off the brake, it seems like it takes off OK, but then maybe I'm giving it a bit more gas and releasing faster than these slow "creep forward" type things in heavy traffic?

But when it stalled today backing out of a different parking lot (down hill going backwards so there's literally no stress on the engine) with hardly any clutch out what-so-ever (i.e. just shouldn't happen), I decided to do a test creeping forward on a flat surface just letting the clutch out very slowly with no gas applied. I've done this before and had no issues getting moving, but today the car wanted to stall no matter how slow I let the clutch out. It would start loading the engine down (you can hear it dropping in speed towards stalling, but the tach doesn't show it dropping anything noticeable and yet the car wasn't moving forward (and then just barely) until almost the point where it was ready to stall, thus forcing me to give it some gas in order to take off.

What does that mean, though? If the clutch were simply worn, wouldn't it grab until higher in the pedal? And if it's not grabbing right, why is the engine trying to stall? (i.e. a slipping clutch lets the engine go, not pulls it into a stall?) In other words, why am I not moving forward? It's more like the load is too much for the idle throttle, but it was fine before so I'm at a loss here. I stomped hard on the pedal on the way home to make sure the clutch wasn't slipping under load and it seemed fine once I got moving. Is this more likely a throttle response thing combined with odd hill assist moments when the clutch doesn't seem to engage at odd times until higher up or could there be a malfunction of the throw-out bearing or spring or something odd like that going on in the first scenario?

I've never experienced such odd behavior with any of my previous cars and haven't had stall issues since my very first manual car (4 cars ago), but then none of them had hill assist either. It's like I don't want to give the car too much gas when I want to creep forward in traffic or backward from a parking spot (else I might move too quickly, particularly if the slip point seems to move on me (either in reality due to some odd malfunction or because the stupid car decided to hold the brakes on making me think it moved) nor do I want to wear the clutch more than necessary just to keep the car from stalling. Some days it seems like the car creeps forward just fine and other days like today it seems like it wants to stall for no apparent reason (yes the car was warmed up by that point). It just seems like the pedal doesn't have a consistent feel/behavior to it. I'm starting to think throttle has something to do with it, almost like there's a delay once in awhile between when I ease on the gas pedal and when the car actually moves the throttle (is this car using drive by wire for the gas pedal? In other words, does the pedal just send an electronic signal to the computer and the computer applies the corresponding throttle or is it directly connected to the throttle body?)
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

Slip goes another one.

Well after reading through this thread (yawn) all I can say is

My 09 WRX (39.8K miles) is in the shop today for clutch slipping and of course I have been told that it is a "wear item". What a load of BS. I have driven manuals for 18 years and never had to buy a clutch or even had to adjust a clutch before. Now my dealership wants $1700 to fix this. I am not impressed with Subaru's build quality. The wheel well lining fell out at 20K miles (the body panel clips keep snapping, I replaced them all with generic clips and they don't snap like gingerbread cookies now), at 29K miles AC compressor shredded itself, and the driver side sun visor is messed up too. These are really fun to drive, but honestly I would rather they charged a couple grand more and built them better.

I have called SoA and they said they will look into it, hmm. I will let you all know.

Oh and before the Subies zealots chime in, no it hasn't been raced, rallied or off pavement. And I found this thread by googling "2009 WRX clutch problems", that alone says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ukwest View Post
    Well after reading through this thread (yawn) all I can say is

My 09 WRX (39.8K miles) is in the shop today for clutch slipping and of course I have been told that it is a "wear item". What a load of BS. I have driven manuals for 18 years and never had to buy a clutch or even had to adjust a clutch before. Now my dealership wants $1700 to fix this. I am not impressed with Subaru's build quality. The wheel well lining fell out at 20K miles (the body panel clips keep snapping, I replaced them all with generic clips and they don't snap like gingerbread cookies now), at 29K miles AC compressor shredded itself, and the driver side sun visor is messed up too. These are really fun to drive, but honestly I would rather they charged a couple grand more and built them better.

I have called SoA and they said they will look into it, hmm. I will let you all know.

Oh and before the Subies zealots chime in, no it hasn't been raced, rallied or off pavement. And I found this thread by googling "2009 WRX clutch problems", that alone says a lot.
    You should google '09 WRX motor problems, that'll put you in a good mood. Sorry for your luck, I would suggest getting a second estimate, $1700 is an outrageous price for a clutch install
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Here I was just thinking recently how my car had finally settled in and is acting relatively normal (and no smells now in around 4 months when backing up other than that one brief time in mid-October), but that may have more to do with me not trying to be gentle with it anymore. I just drive normally. Some of the weird behavior is definitely attributable to the hill assist "feature" holding my brake on at odd times as it always lets go at the same point on the clutch with a slight lurch instead of a smooth grab in the same situations (often waiting the two seconds keeps it from happening which points to hill assist).

39.5k isn't good at all, but it's not screaming outright 'defect' either like the 5-12k horror stories, more like "cheap crap organic design". I'd probably just get an after-market racing clutch if this thing goes rather than waste my time setting it up for another fail with Subaru. My '04 WRX had over 80k on it when I traded it and had zero clutch issues even with regular 4k-5k launches (averaging maybe one a day) so I don't know what changed, exactly in their design process, but the old car had almost no issues what-so-ever and it was dead quiet with NO rattles at all. This thing rattles everywhere (and just when you think you got them all, the weather gets cold and a whole NEW batch crops up somewhere else...it's unreal). Given the problems with Toyotas in the past few years, I'm starting to wonder if the whole Japanese work ethos and quality factor is going down the toilet in the general. It used to be all the best stuff was made there (a line even used in Back To The Future III as it was true more than ever in the mid '80s to early '90s) and now they outsource most of their crap to South Korea and Vietnam and of course, almost everyone makes their crap in China (can't say terribly good things about quality products coming out of that country in any category, but then since everything is made there, it's hard to differentiate). Ironically, quality seems to be going up in American cars, especially Ford (who used to be a joke claiming quality was job #1), although half their parts are from overseas or Mexico.

Add me to the list of '09 WRX owners whose clutch went out early. Mine lasted 58k. Got 160k out of the clutch on my Integra. My driving style hasn't changed. Dealer wants an outrageous $2200. Calling around local subie shops now to get pricing. One wanted $1297 for a new clutch and would reuse and refinish my existing flywheel. Any recommendations on aftermarket clutches since I don't trust the "stock" longetivity?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.