09 wrx clutch problems! - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 wrx clutch problems! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Heide264 So 2.0... It must be driver error that causes the engine to knock and blow ring ...

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    So 2.0... It must be driver error that causes the engine to knock and blow ring lands? Even though its an obvious fact that the Subaru stock tune runs rich/lean in the wrong places and is very prone to detonation?
    And if I asked tech line or the engineers if we had ringland issues what do you think their answer was? Yes we do. As a matter of fact I talked to it to the one before because he was asking me about my car and I told him how I was building a 2.5 for it. Somehow the convo turned into that since that's basically how I acquired my block.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Stuff happens. Clutches normally don't burn out like that though. Even with bad driving. If people want to post their experience, let them. It does not directly mean that Subaru is a bad company, just that mistakes happen and they want to see if its a large scale mistake.

No need to go around telling people they can't drive when their clutches go out (that) early. It is really beating a dead horse to argue about it. Everybody knows that dealers point the finger at bad driving. Drivers point the finger at a bad clutch.

Just let the statistics play out instead of saying this is a dumb issue.
    Yes stuff does happen. But like I have stated instead of coming up with a conspiracy theory on a bad batch of clutches or the 09's being the only bad clutches I went to the people who would know and would tell me if there was an issue other then driver error. People can speculate all they want that's up to them. As I stated Evo owners had the same problem when they first came out. My friend who didn't drive his like a smacked ass put 75k on that clutch before he replaced it. Even then it only barley slipped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've got (as of today) 24,578 mi on my 2010.

no launches, I do drive aggressively.. but no excessive slip.. ever. I make it a point to make power IN gear and not BETWEEN them..

no issues with the clutch. zero, zip, nada.

I wont literally point a finger, but .. yeah its a big but.

I hate to bend on this but RS is right, there WOULD be a tsb out if this was a major issue. Especially since they issue tsb's for stuff as small as squeaky interior panels. Bad clutches would definitely get attention.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I've got (as of today) 24,578 mi on my 2010.

no launches, I do drive aggressively.. but no excessive slip.. ever. I make it a point to make power IN gear and not BETWEEN them..

no issues with the clutch. zero, zip, nada.

I wont literally point a finger, but .. yeah its a big but.

I hate to bend on this but RS is right, there WOULD be a tsb out if this was a major issue. Especially since they issue tsb's for stuff as small as squeaky interior panels. Bad clutches would definitely get attention.
    Don't even get me started on squeaks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    I've employed 1/2" weather stripping, and electrical tape so far. Next comes the Dremel to get rid of my high pitched seat belt squeal. That said I'd rather put up with road noise, engine and exhaust noise than sit in a mini fortress of solitude.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    I've had lots of old squeaky/rattly vehicles.. I was disappointed that a new car would make such noises, but honestly I saved my dealer the headache and just took care of them myself with some foam weatherstrip I had in my stash. I knew where all the squeaks were and how to fix em. No sense in making a tech loose his ass flat rate on chasing down squeaky plastic panels. A touch of lube, or a piece of foam.. there are still small trouble spots when it gets cold but I've never had a car/truck that didn't make some interior squeaky when it was cold.

Never fried a clutch either.. I've had em spit springs out of disks and broken pressure plates, but never had one fail from too much slip. Well ok one.. but when you exceed its rated hp by 2.5 times or so.. its bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I've employed 1/2" weather stripping, and electrical tape so far. Next comes the Dremel to get rid of my high pitched seat belt squeal. That said I'd rather put up with road noise, engine and exhaust noise than sit in a mini fortress of solitude.
    lol.. thats what the crappy factory radio is for lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I have had pretty good luck with my 02 WRX. Bought the car new, had a third gear syncro go at at about the 8000 mile mark, it was fixed under warranty. I now have just under 130,000 miles on it and am just now getting some slip in the factory clutch under hard acceleration. I dont think that is too bad for a "glass tranny".

23K Failed Clutch--2009 WRX

Add me to the list on the distaff side. Bought my 2009 hatchback WRX in 2/09. Learned to drive on a Nash Rambler. Bought my first Austin Healey in 1963. Also had a Datsun Roadster, Porsche 911S, TR3, Dodge Charger, TR4, IH 4X plow truck, VW Beatle, '66 Mustang 289, etc. Have raced Formula V's, A.H. Sprites, E Jags, etc. Won't bore you further, but I DO know how to drive: never ride the clutch, don't race or launch, jockey the clutch when stopped on a hill, miss shifts, etc. I broke it in according to the book, have it dealer maintained and bought the big fat warranty. They've replaced it, but with a rather snotty look that telegraphed their opinion that I obviously must drive like an old lady--NOT! I drove my last car, a Honda Accord to 250K with the original clutch still in great shape.

This is a travesty! It's a faulty clutch problem and I'm worried that it will happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdesigns View Post
    Add me to the list on the distaff side. Bought my 2009 hatchback WRX in 2/09. Learned to drive on a Nash Rambler. Bought my first Austin Healey in 1963. Also had a Datsun Roadster, Porsche 911S, TR3, Dodge Charger, TR4, IH 4X plow truck, VW Beatle, '66 Mustang 289, etc. Have raced Formula V's, A.H. Sprites, E Jags, etc. Won't bore you further, but I DO know how to drive: never ride the clutch, don't race or launch, jockey the clutch when stopped on a hill, miss shifts, etc. I broke it in according to the book, have it dealer maintained and bought the big fat warranty. They've replaced it, but with a rather snotty look that telegraphed their opinion that I obviously must drive like an old lady--NOT! I drove my last car, a Honda Accord to 250K with the original clutch still in great shape.

This is a travesty! It's a faulty clutch problem and I'm worried that it will happen again.
    Of course it will happen again. The stock clutch was borderline at 224hp. Now the engine is at 265hp on the same stock clutch.

But it's easier for Subaru to make you live with it, than to put a decent tranny in the car in the first place.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Of course it will happen again. The stock clutch was borderline at 224hp. Now the engine is at 265hp on the same stock clutch.

But it's easier for Subaru to make you live with it, than to put a decent tranny in the car in the first place.
    Care to explain how the stock clutch was "borderline" at 224? There are a good MANY people who have gone an extensive amount of miles on stage 2 and above setups. I have 93k on the clock right now with the stock clutch, nothing overly huge power wise since it's just retuned, but still, that kind of mileage is unheard of and your car isn't anything special. Many people maintain that the stock clutch is good even past 300WTQ.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I agree, I've seen the posts of people w/ stock WRXs roast their clutch w/ only 12k miles, swear up and down it's not their fault, and then want to blame Subaru.

I've been driving a stick all my life and I think it's all "user error".
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

I'll have to check my build date.. but I bought my car in oct 09.. have 34K mi on it now.. clutch is fine.

I'm still thinkin it was a bad run of material.. just squeaked past qc and go into the manufacturing supply.

What bothers me is that damned sticky feeling the clutch pedal gets sometimes. Like its binding almost (like an old cable clutch mechanism)...except that hydraulic clutch works rarely bind. ... A couple of shifts and its gone. *shrug* ..
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Lengthwise32 View Post
    I agree, I've seen the posts of people w/ stock WRXs roast their clutch w/ only 12k miles, swear up and down it's not their fault, and then want to blame Subaru.

I've been driving a stick all my life and I think it's all "user error".
    I agree. As a matter of fact we just had a left over that just sold a couple months ago come back with zero clutch left. It was supposedly some middle aged moms car and she said she only drove it. But I was there late one day doing my own things when it got towed in. Some 16 year old kid got out of the tow truck with his 7 buddies stuffed into some ricer civic hatch with a really loud annoying exhaust. They all swarmed around my car and since I had it parked right in front of my bay and the door was open they asked me what was done and all that stuff. The kid starts saying how he wants to do this and that to his car.......yeah a 16 year old with a 09' wrx didn't beat the crap out of that thing. Must have been in the bad batch. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Care to explain how the stock clutch was "borderline" at 224? There are a good MANY people who have gone an extensive amount of miles on stage 2 and above setups. I have 93k on the clock right now with the stock clutch, nothing overly huge power wise since it's just retuned, but still, that kind of mileage is unheard of and your car isn't anything special. Many people maintain that the stock clutch is good even past 300WTQ.
    I have to respectfully disagree... There are many people without problems, but there are a disproportionate amount of issues for the number of cars out there. Compared to other cars in the sport compact class, the stock 5MT clutch is not a great performer past stage 2 (with the 2.5 anyway...)

Here's a pic of my clutch after ~5k miles of stock and ~15K miles of Stage 2 driving (no clutch dumps, general daily driving):

Attachment 90919

I'm not "imprezed". I've driven many a vehicle that didn't exhibit that much wear after ~20k miles.

But it's a good thing that the clutch is the weaklink of the 5MT, because a performance clutch could possibly grenade the tranny (on the older models).
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree... There are many people without problems, but there are a disproportionate amount of issues for the number of cars out there. Compared to other cars in the sport compact class, the stock 5MT clutch is not a great performer past stage 2 (with the 2.5 anyway...)

Here's a pic of my clutch after ~5k miles of stock and ~15K miles of Stage 2 driving (no clutch dumps, general daily driving):

I'm not "imprezed". I've driven many a vehicle that didn't exhibit that much wear after ~20k miles.

But it's a good thing that the clutch is the weaklink of the 5MT, because a performance clutch could possibly grenade the tranny (on the older models).
    I'm not going to say that there may not be issues with the disk, because it's looking like that's the case, but to say the clutch has always been inferior is clearly not the case, as is evident with my clutch and many many others. After 4 years of autox racing and 93k miles, 20k of which has been at stage 1, my clutch is still going strong, so it's obvious that not all of them are bad.

This leaves two options: Operator error, or bad batch of clutches. Clearly, there seems to be something wrong, but given the track record of the stock up to recent, it hasn't always been this way.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Pavia, you're right. It must be a bad batch of material and possibly a weak clutch design to boot. (The first clutch stink I experienced was also in reverse, like some other posted failures.) I just got my WRX back with the new clutch. It's very soft. I like something with a bit more resistance, even though I'm old, and 110#.

I'M JUST SICK!
    The thrill I always felt when I stepped into the WRX is gone! Now I'm half afraid to drive the damn car because the clutch replacement is exactly the same model as the one I lost at 23K--according to the shop manager. He said on the phone that I toasted it but refused my request to come see the clutch, saying that the mechanics had gone home and he didn't know which one it was. (I thought: Really! How many would a shop replace in one day?)

Half an hour later, in person, the story changed--the clutch had been packaged to return to the company for assessment and was under a time constraint, leaving me no option to have my favorite Subaru dealer in another town look it over. I handed him a summary of "bad clutch" remarks from WRX blogs to blunt his arrogance, and left.

My 1997 Impreza Outback Sport (2.2L @137HP, M5 tranny) was trouble-free and fun. At this point I'd trade the WRX for it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they had to cut me out of it after an Explorer hit me head on. Now this. I'm afraid my love affair with Subies is star crossed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.