05 WRX Automatic to 5 Speed Manual Conversion
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 05 WRX Automatic to 5 Speed Manual Conversion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guy I currently have an 05 WRX that is an automatic which has its thrills, but I feel like ...

05 WRX Automatic to 5 Speed Manual Conversion

Hey guy I currently have an 05 WRX that is an automatic which has its thrills, but I feel like im going no where with it. The reason why I bought the automatic was that I had the mind set that being constantly stuck in traffic and the stop and go wasn't worth it. But now I am kind of regretting it and I was wondering what kind of work involves doing this conversion and what type of parts are needed. Because still having to pay the loan off on it really would kind of defeat the purpose of trading it in for a different WRX with a manual.
    I have done some research on this, but I was coming up short on finding some really good info on it. I was just wondering if anyone has successful done this and what type of cost am I looking to get into this? And any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah i dont really like auto's either. if you want some info on how to swap from auto to 5 speed and parts for that matter try to find a guy with a 5 speed that has swapped to a 6 speed, he'll have a lot of the parts you would need to do the swap. one of my biggest concerns would be EM but i dont really know what is invovled in that. for the most part it should be pretty straight forward-
    clutch petal assembly
    slave cylinder
    clutch pressure plate and friction plate
    flywheel
    shifter linkage
    driveshaft
    not entirely sure if you would need halfshafts
    the Tranny itself
    and some sort of EM to manage the whole thing

a buddy of mine is swapping his 240 from auto to 5 speed and hes dumped around 1500 in used parts and we still need a couple of things to complete the swap. considering how much newer the WRX is and the complexity of AWD i would imagine no less than 2500 in parts and at least that in labor.... looking for a 5 speed WRX isnt the worst idea in the world even if youre worried about taking a hit from depresiaction. the fact that its a "swaped" car will depreciate it even more. just my 2 cents! good luck man!

Matt
    UTA FSAE FTW!!!!

Cars
    1993 MR2 Turbo- SOLD
    2004 WRX - SOLD
    2008 Civic Si

Hey wrxwalsh,

I really appreciate the advice for the swap and I agree again that even though I am sure it will lose some of its value, this is really one thing I plan to hopefully hold onto this vehicle for a while so it would be worth it! But if you or anyone else has any tips or any opinions on what year tranny I should go with? Thanks again!!

Jeff

If you're going to get a new tranny
    you might as well get the STi six-speed
    you can probably find a wrecked STi with a perfect tranny
    just go from there maybe...
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

IMHO its gonna be a waste of time and money for the swap. Either learn to love it or trade for a 5 speed. Check out ARFab's auto impreza. It goes ten's and was built for an employee with one arm and one leg. I do beleive they tweeked the auto trans a bit, but its pretty bad ass!
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

It's possible..

I just finished a 4EAT to 05 USDM 6Speed swap in my 06 wagon complete with DCCD/brembos. It is cheaper than taking in your car and trading it if you owe ANY amount on the car. And it's a sleeper station wagon (No, the 08's are NOT station wagons).

You can do a 5 Speed swap for $2500 or less if you do your homework and find good deals, a friend of mine just finished his 5MT swap as well. It will take longer than getting one of those "complete" swap packages from various vendors, but it will save you $$ in the long term. The only PITA will be wiring. I hear the 05 and under guys having problems with ABS not working. To solve that problem, just get a MT ABS setup from the donor car from what I have read.

If you are gonna go for it, post in this thread and I'll help you with the wiring (which is kinda simple) and parts list. My friend who did his 5MT swap even has a thread with the part #'s of bolts you may need.

If you live near a military base (and know someone on base) and they have a hobby shop, you can get a buddy and do the swap over two days.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.