Subaru WRX Forum banner

transmission weight

46K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  fusionchicken 
#1 ·
how much does the Stock 2002 WRX transmission weigh? I'm going to be swapping my clutch/flywheel..etc... and don't have a tranny jack, so i was curious as to how much the transmission weighs.

#11 ·
Its just AWKARD to lift...oddly shaped and the weight isn't centered. STI trannys are heavier though obviously. I knew it couldn't have been that heavy though..Givin i'm a pretty strong young fellow, I had not much problem at all lifting it and moving it several times in the process of getting it to Andrewtech. 150ish lbs seems about right. Plus the fear of slipping and droping your $3,000 hunk of metal on the ground and damaging it probably makes it seem a bit lighter too as dropping it really wasn't an option. With two people you should have no problem whatsoever moving one. And if installing one in your driveway I'd def have a jack under it to make it alot easier.

#12 ·
I have had pulled my transmission four times. Each time by myself without a transmission jack. It is heavy but it can be lifted by one person. Maneuvering it around under the car is a bit tricky but if you are careful you can balance it on a regular car jack. Harbor Freight sells a cradle that attaches to a regular floor jack that lets you use it like a transmission jack. It is around 40 bucks or so.

#13 ·
yep, when i changed my clutch out this weekend I found out how 'heavy' it is. In reality, it's just like trying to hold a bag of cement...it's hard to hold on to, but when you get the right grip you can do what you want with it.

I actually had the tranny drop on my chest(i was holding it as it fell about 4 inches) and I was able to lift it off of myself and back on to the tranny jack. Just very strange to hold on to. But I got a great workout moving that transmission around!!!!

#14 ·
I just pulled out my 4eat auto trans in my garage and shipped it away to get rebuilt. It weights 236lbs and the automatic trans weights more than the manual. We got it down and out no problem. We made a trans jack using 2x4s and cutting them and nailing them together like old lincoln logs and putting Styrofoam in the middle so once the weight of the trans was on the jack and our home made trans jack it wasn't going anywhere.

The only surprise my trans (i dunno if it applied to manual trans) was heavier on the passenger side and wanted to tip. Once we got the trans out and separated from the motor we didnt have enough room to get it out from under the car and we only had 1 jack big enough to move my car so we got 2x4s again and a blanket and wiggled the trans from the jack to the floor and then put the car higher up and pulled it out.

Hope that gives you a little better idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.