Launching Mishaps
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Launching Mishaps within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just out of curiosity. Has anyone here ever broken their clutch or even worse their transmission dumping the clutch in ...

Launching Mishaps

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone here ever broken their clutch or even worse their transmission dumping the clutch in to first gear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by itus View Post
    Just out of curiosity. Has anyone here ever broken their clutch or even worse their transmission dumping the clutch in to first gear.

I've broken a driveshaft(6 speed) when launching in 1st,
    i had a exedy sport/organic clutch which fried within a few months & now running a triple plate item.

dont do it...
    you're wallet will find out the outcome
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

Well okay, the truth comes out now. I've been driving Miatas for as long as i've been into motorsports. I've had like 3. I've had a couple 240s too and honestly from my experience. WRXs aren't as reliable as a Miata or a 240sx. I blew my rod bearing at 36,000 miles(somewhere around there) into the S at Buttonwillow. My oil was fine. I didn't feel like that was my fault. The dealer said the previous owner probably didn't take care of it or ran it low on oil all the time. I got it fixed under factory warranty. Now I broke something in the drivetrain, This is probably my fault. I don't wanna hear any flames. Ok i'm an idiot. Driving RWD for so long I didn't know AWD cars were so temperamental with everything. I really really really really hate the WRX transmission. Its sucks, the gears are long, it hates 1st gear, sometimes it won't even let me rev match into first. It's just stiff. It doesn't get into gear smooth like a Honda. At one point in time it wouldn't get into any gear, it was all stiff. Somehow I forced it into gear with both arms and it got easier again but I had to really force the shifter into 1st.

Anyways, I'm an idiot. When get into first normally I usually slip the clutch then kinda drop it. Like getting into gear right away. And I do it without any jerkyness. but this one time I was making a right turn. I was in a rush to merge in with traffic cuz you kno people be driving like idiots and sometimes u just have to use brute power to be a **** and get in. I had the space in front to go fast. So I was like "Yeeehhh, imma drop the clutch and go fast cuz i can." BOOM was all I heard and I could shift it into 1st or any gear now but when I let go of the clutch it doesn't move. I think I broke the pressure plate or something. I'm going to jack up the car and make sure its not my driveshaft too. I'm also going to try getting it into 2nd gear to see that I didn't strip my 1st gear.

Anyways, I learned my lesson. AWD cars are like baby girls. U gotta not launch like a RWD car. Reading up I guess I had to like slip the clutch or something. You gotta keep your eyes on the speedo cuz the car is so quiet and smooth you can be hitting 60 and think ur going and 40 and end up with a thousand dollar ticket. And WRX are really nice. Onetime a cop just pull me over to brag about how nice my car is and how it can out run a cruiser and how I was making "Dangerous turns" and speeding. But honestly that time I had already learned my lesson. I was watching my speedo going at 40. I told him, and he didn't get me a speeding ticket but I still got a stupid turning ticket. He was like "Atleast ur doing it in a WRX, cuz that thing could handle it" Thats kinda f'ed up. If he thought it was morally okay to do that in a WRX why did he give me a ticket. ugh! My miata days were not full of trouble. I still love my WRX and it would hurt to sell it but I thought about it. Shes like Eleanore, shes just a handful sometimes.

Banned
    Well okay, the truth comes out now.

I really really really really hate the WRX transmission.

Anyways, I'm an idiot.
    Anotated

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I really can't say that I've never missed RWD or a better tranny. Still the WRX is one of the funnest cars all around I have had. You'll get used to it if you choose to stick with it. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Alright, I just checked out my car. Threw it into first. Alot of clanking and it doesn't move. It doesn't go into 2nd. It goes into 3rd gear fine and it moves. I think the clutch is okay. I blew my 1st gear. I called up the dealer and the transmission is covered still under warranty. Lesson learned. Be easy on my WRX tranny. I got a STI Tranny in the garage i'll install once warranty is over. Anyways, I hope I have better luck with that tranny but no more hard launches.

I Support ClubWRX
    This guy is awesome.
    I don't wanna hear any flames.
    was in a rush to merge in with traffic cuz you kno people be driving like idiots and sometimes u just have to use brute power to be a **** and get in. I had the space in front to go fast. So I was like "Yeeehhh, imma drop the clutch and go fast cuz i can."
    AWD cars are like baby girls. U gotta not launch like a RWD car.
    You gotta keep your eyes on the speedo cuz the car is so quiet and smooth you can be hitting 60 and think ur going and 40 and end up with a thousand dollar ticket
    Onetime a cop just pull me over to brag about how nice my car is and how it can out run a cruiser and how I was making "Dangerous turns" and speeding.
    but I still got a stupid turning ticket
    "Atleast ur doing it in a WRX, cuz that thing could handle it" Thats kinda f'ed up. If he thought it was morally okay to do that in a WRX why did he give me a ticket. ugh!
    Shes like Eleanore, shes just a handful sometimes.
    Make it stop!!!

I'm CLAMFing in an empty house with noone to CLAMF to!!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

its like itus' greatest hits.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

Registered User silverbullet>>>'s Avatar
    its harder to play around with a lower compression engine

like rev matching and downshifting
    Turbo XS BOV, ERZ Down Pipe, ERZ catback, Cobb intake, Perrin Turbo inlet, Perrin Up Pipe, Walboro 255 fuel pump, Ultimate Racing 680cc injectors, gm boost solinoid, Exedy clutch, thermo tech turbo heat wrap, perrin light weight pulley,TGV delete's, 8mm intake manifold phenoic spacers, TXS racing FMIC, Tial 38mm wastegate
    Tuned By DPS
    http://www.dpstuning.com
    Team Downshift Member

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.