Rev Matching
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rev Matching within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone use rev matching on downshifts? My 2005 wrx only has about 450 miles on the odo. so ive been ...

Rev Matching

Anyone use rev matching on downshifts? My 2005 wrx only has about 450 miles on the odo. so ive been watching myself, not pushing it or anything until the break-in is over. I'm still getting used to the clutch and sometimes let if off a little too fast (car jerks), but when I downshift I try to rev match as much as possible to take away the pressure put on the tranny from engine brakeing. Anyone else do this or it really doesn't matter if I do it or not. Any pointers on trynig to "preserve" the tranny. I know no hard launches or stuff like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i used to downshift my civic everytime i drove it -- hard too, but i wouldn't dream of it in the rex. in the civic, it was the only way you could feel any torque whatsoever. anyway, i try a variation of that technique, just trying to find the least stressful RPM in the event that i do downshift at an inopportune time.
    rumble young man, rumble...

Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver
    ...Sounds like we got a vh-1 storyteller here...

Quote Originally Posted by SubieStylez
    Anyone use rev matching on downshifts? My 2005 wrx only has about 450 miles on the odo. so ive been watching myself, not pushing it or anything until the break-in is over. I'm still getting used to the clutch and sometimes let if off a little too fast (car jerks), but when I downshift I try to rev match as much as possible to take away the pressure put on the tranny from engine brakeing. Anyone else do this or it really doesn't matter if I do it or not. Any pointers on trynig to "preserve" the tranny. I know no hard launches or stuff like that.
    It took a little while to get used to. It will get easier to shift. Just use a little more break as you rev match and it will be silky smooth.

I also find that having the seat too close for me makes it more difficult to be smooth with the clutch. Back the seat just a little and everything changes.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

Thanks for the pointers, I appreciate it.

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Be
    It took a little while to get used to. It will get easier to shift. Just use a little more break as you rev match and it will be silky smooth.

I also find that having the seat too close for me makes it more difficult to be smooth with the clutch. Back the seat just a little and everything changes.
    yeah totally! i used to sit pretty close when i first got my WRX and it was hard and almost discouraging to drive! but i moved the seat back and wow...i felt like a pro!!

+1 on moving the seat in a more comfortable relaxed position!!!

+ 1 on driving in a relaxed postion

i always rev match when i down shift. its just so much smoother
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

Quote Originally Posted by rbwrx
    i always rev match when i down shift. its just so much smoother
    Same here, puts less stress on the motor too.
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

I usually try to rev match as well.

I have to keep the seat pretty close, otherwise I can't get the clutch all the way to the floor, since I'm not exactly one of the tallest people around.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

eh, just duct tape a small book to the clutch pedal
    New England F4
    www.OddTopic.net - my pet project, come say hello!
    '02 BUGEYE
    "One's level of fear is directly proportional to their preparedness for it's source"
    -Me

DO A FRIGGIN SEARCH!!!

yea i'm just like TOOFAST88. when your only 5'4" its not pretty trying to shift while having my seat pulled back. everyone always ask me why I sit so damn close to the steering wheel. I actually shift alot better sitting close.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rev matching just is more natural to do than simply downshifting and slipping the clutch. Furthermore, double clutch downshifts make even more sense from a mechanical perspective.

It's just getting a feel for the ratios intuitively and you'll rev accordingly.

how do you guys rev match? it's hard for me to do it and if i do rev match, i accidently rev to high.
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Watch the RPM's at different speeds in different gears.....and get a feel for where exactly the tach is depending on what gear you are in and what speed you are going.

Lots of times, just a simple "TAP" on the gas pedal right before downshifting works out fairly well.

Get a feel for it BEFORE you try to do it on a regular basis though....this will save yourself from getting whiplash when you get all herky-jerky with a mis-timed / unmatched downshift.

Yeah if you don't have a good feel for rpm vs speed for a certain gear don't try to rev match.

I simply tap the throttle to get the proper rpms right before I let off the clutch. I found if I try to control the rpms longer than that split second I tend to over rev.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

pwn
    Same thing here, just a quick blip of the throttle, and nothing more generally will get your rpm's up to where they need to be. Just dont think about it and do it, it came easy and quick to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.