Rev Matching - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rev Matching within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by pwn Same thing here, just a quick blip of the throttle, and nothing more generally will get ...

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by pwn
    Same thing here, just a quick blip of the throttle, and nothing more generally will get your rpm's up to where they need to be. Just dont think about it and do it, it came easy and quick to me.
    I agree, when thinking about matching revs I screw it up... In my AutoX events I do can do an awesome 2 to 1st shift but on the street when i try to do it, I send up screwing it up. At first you'll have to think about it but after a couple weeks you won't think about it anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

- rev matching does nothing for your tranny, it prevents your clutch from slipping too much

-double clutch downshifting saves your synchros.

-nothing you can do to preserve gear life, really, besides taking it easy and changing the fluid every 30,000 miles.

a trick to rev matching in the 'Rex: i call it the "3rd gear trick", and it works like a charm. if you're ever downshifting into third, *match the position of the tachometer with the exact position of the speedometer*. to give a an example, if the speedometer is in the 12 o'clock position, then rev the tachometer to 12 o'clock as well.

06 trannies might be off since Subaru revised the ratios, but it should work perfectly on 02-05.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Well if you are releasing the clutch quickly rev matching should save a little wear and tear on the gears, but not anything major.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

I was having a really hard time matching revs while downshifting (engine breaking and accelerating) until i tried heel-toeing into turns. I don't know what it is but in a day or two, i was able to match revs nearly perfectly. I started off by letting the clutch out somewhat slowley incase i didn't match revs right but now, i can just about pop the clutch when downshift and heel-toe (just a little exageration here). Also, the wrx is a very stubborn car; if it doesnt like how you try to match revs, it will punish you.

I usually heel toe to second gear then put it in neutral...the wrx has excellent pedal spacing for heel toe downshifts
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Ya when learning to toe-heel, u can tell whether u did not give it enough or gave it too much by feeling the car and listening to the engine. If it rlly jerky, then not enough gas. If u give it too much, it will be pretty smooth but u will hear the driveline matching the extra rpm's. When the car stays neutral, u kno u got it right. Then its like oooo...... why didn't i do that all along?
    Originally posted by BlkWrxWag:
    You will not have these performance issues if you stick to racing in school zones. The WRX ECU is specially tuned to recognize these areas and increase boost accordingly.

I totally agree with you. A really good heel-toe is the most rewarding thing ever in my oppinion.

Tallahassee, FL is home... Memphis, TN for school
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    I totally agree with you. A really good heel-toe is the most rewarding thing ever in my oppinion.
    Yeah it's really great when you get it right... I'm still figuring it out... I usually let up off of the brake for a second sometimes when I am not thinking. Still getting used to it.

EVERYTIME. during normal driving though i normally heel-toe from 2k up to 3kish. Not much high revving over here.
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

Nothing like heel-toeing a honda btw.
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

it took me a good, solid week of practice to be able to rev match properly. after that, double clutching was no problem. best two things you can ever learn driving a car, and it's the most rewarding experience when you get it right while cornering hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy
    it took me a good, solid week of practice to be able to rev match properly. after that, double clutching was no problem. best two things you can ever learn driving a car, and it's the most rewarding experience when you get it right while cornering hard.
    double clutching is so worthless...I mean I can do it, but heel toe-ing is much faster. They made synchromesh for a reason, use it! There is no sense in not using at all, when you can heel-toe and relieve a lot of the stress on the synchros and shift faster.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

it does take a while to learn but it deff saves stress on the car
    wrx its not a car, its a way of life

Quote Originally Posted by rbwrx
    + 1 on driving in a relaxed postion

i always rev match when i down shift. its just so much smoother
    +1 to that........it sounds sick too lol

Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1
    double clutching is so worthless...I mean I can do it, but heel toe-ing is much faster. They made synchromesh for a reason, use it! There is no sense in not using at all, when you can heel-toe and relieve a lot of the stress on the synchros and shift faster.
    umm, heel toe-ing is double clutching, only you're braking at the same time.

and my bugeye (weakest tranny/synchro's) went Stage 2 for 60,000 miles with no synchro issues whatsoever. i never had any grinding, never experimented with any tranny fluids, and no shifting issues at all. i consider that a remarkable achievement and it's probably because i double clutched.

yeah, synchros are there for a reason; too bad Subaru's always had synchro issues with their manuals, don't reinforce them at all, and only put one synchro for every gear. help them out any way you can, they're gonna need it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast