fluid change?

This is a discussion on fluid change? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey men. i got a 2005 wrx with about 26,000 miles on it. you think its about time to change ...

fluid change?

hey men. i got a 2005 wrx with about 26,000 miles on it. you think its about time to change the transmission fluid yet? tell you the truth...ive never even looked at it? im so bad. if its time to change, what kind do you guys reccomend? Thanks for the help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Redline Shockproof Lighweight or Heavyweight.....either will do wonders for you shifting smoothness...
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Factory recommends changing the fluid every 30k so you are almost due. I have had great experiences with Royal Purple. It has done wonders for the shifter feel and the overall driveability of the car/tranny.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

I did mine a couple weeks ago at 25K. I did Valvoline 75w-90 dino tranny / front diff and 75w-90 M1 for the rear diff. I don't want to mess with synthetic in my tranny so long as I'm still under warranty. It basically shifts the same, like crap when it's cold, but the rear diff does feel nicer in the cold with syn.

Awsome...Also, i see alot of people talking about "synchro" or somethin like that. does that just mean synthetic? and if so is there a synthetic i can buy at just a regular store that will be good for my car? dont you have to order royal purple online and stuff...thanks again.

^Synchromesh is the generic GM synchromesh. You can usually find it made by Pennzoil for much less and it is a dino oil though it's not GL-5 rated which is need for the front diff. I would reccomend mixing 1 qt synchromesh with the rest 75w-90 dino oil first and see if you like it. I will probably try this next time I change my gear oil. You can also try "uncle scotty's cocktail" which brings some redline shockproof intot the mix. From what i have read don't use Royal Purple in the tranny.