Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by iwannnarex umm....why would you go and do that?? if you like the stock height, go ahead and ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by iwannnarex
    umm....why would you go and do that?? if you like the stock height, go ahead and put your stock shifter back in and sell you KB to someone who actually wants a "Short Shifter" you would be defeating the whole purpose by doing that. IMHO

~~mike~~
    Old post. I actually got used to the position of the shifter after a few days. Now I wouldn't give up my short shifter for anything. I love my Kartboy SS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I love my Kartboy SS.
    Me too
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

o definitely...thats why i was confused..hehehe.....i wub mine...wouldn't want to ever get rid of it....still got to put in my bushings though..can somehow never get around to that....later all

mike

i have a 04 2.5RS and i installed the kartboy SS and a friend of mine with a 04 STi checked it out and was like "HOLY FREAKIN CRAP THATS SHORT"...so yeah it's DA BOMB-DIGGIDY

Originally posted by MadDog
    Oh, and the bushings do make quite a difference. To get the old one out, press it against the post that it comes off of. Easy as pie.
    ...worth mentioning that the stock bushing is 1 piece, not 2 like the KB ones.

I also had trouble w/the hammer thing and used the "attach and pull into place" method.

The height change didn't seem that noticable to me. The throw change is perfect.

Oh, and since installing I have yet to miss a shift (course I just jynxed myself here <knocking on wood>).

w00t!

-tp
    The 202 Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia "Silent But Deadly Ass-sasin"
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Bushings are a must, they make such a difference and if I was able to install them, anybody can...really.

For the short shifter itself, I couldnt pound it in w/ the rubber mallet, I had to link it, and then w/ one hit it went in.

Easy install and definetly worth it

I did the shifter, but not the bushings. Big, big difference. Be sure to lube up the factory bushing that goes into the new lever liberally with grease. I didn't do that the first time, and it was quite notchy with high effort. I took it back out, lubed it up with some teflon impregnated model train grease (plastic friendly), and put it back in. Big difference, much smoother.

I chose to grind the plate to get clearance instead of flipping it 180 degrees. There is a rubber seal between the plate and the transmission tunnel. This seal has nipples that fit into holes in the plate. Not all of them will fit into their respective holes when you turn the plate around. Splitting hairs maybe, but the factory usually knows best.......

Short Throw Shifter Info

What exactly does a Short Throw Shifter do for your car

I am in the process in installing the short throw shifter but i am having trouble putting the ball in the cup. i have tried all the techniques described on this page. does anyone have any other suggestions?

Originally posted by YOLA
    I am in the process in installing the short throw shifter but i am having trouble putting the ball in the cup. i have tried all the techniques described on this page. does anyone have any other suggestions?

YOLA,

I don't know if you've got this fixed yet, but it's really an easy task. while holding the post straight up, and ball rested on the socket, take either a rubber or a wooden mallet and give it one or two good shots. You shouldn't need to put any more grease on the ball, but if you have some, a little xtra can't hurt! I had mine installed in about 15-20 minutes all back together. You can pm me with any ?'s.

Later,
    Mike

let me bring up an old thread...

i'm looking for a short throw shifter and after some research, i decided to get kartboy ss. i don't want to use my stock knob with the new shifter, so i also want to get their kartboy knob. they havfe quite a few color choices.

but they don't have them available on the website for me to see. can anyone post the colors of their knobs?

http://www.allwheelengineering.com/b...ss=KB-016-1997

thanks.
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

I just installed my kartboy shifter bushings and the shifting feels the same.. Not only that but, My reverse tends to grind when i try to put it in almost all the time.. How do i fix this? Does anyone know what I did wrong.. I placed the bushings in perfectly and even set the latch to the stock placement.. Help me out.. please
    02 PSM WRX
    14.362@97.08 mph stock

umm....why would you go and do that?? if you like the stock height, go ahead and put your stock shifter back in and sell you KB to someone who actually wants a "Short Shifter" you would be defeating the whole purpose by doing that. IMHO

The shifter doesn't have to be short to have short throws, it's all about the fulcrum. You can have shifter that sits higher than stock (closer to the wheel) and still has smaller throws than the stock unit. You can cut the top of a shifter to shorten throws, but it's less effective...If the top section of the shifter is five time longer than the bottom, you'd have to cut five inches of the top in order to make the same difference as adding one inch to the bottom.
    Saab 9-2x Black; EcuTek Tuned, Maddad TBE, STi muffler, KB Shifter&Bushings,STi Suspension,Silencer Delete, K&N, SSR Comps w/ BFG KDW's, JDM STi Intercooler, Noltec Alignment Plates, 20MM RSB, blah, blah, blah

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    When I installed my kartboy, I had to get help in order to get the ball in the linkage cup. I bang the hell out of it but it just wouldn't go in so I got the hubby to hit it in for me. After that, everything else was a piece of cake. I cut my oem bushings out with a kitchen knife. The kartboy bushings make for a smoother transition IMHO.
    Do you guys/girls have any pictures of the bussings and the setup. I have no idea what the bushing are or what they look like. I guess I jsut have no cule since I have never even looked at the shifter but I am thinkign abotu goign to a short throw.

I am confused. Call me an idiot but what are the bushings exactly? What do they look like and where do they go? Got any pictures?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456