Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...yeah, i've seen pictures of those- Ed "Big Daddy" Roth used to draw pictures of t-buckets (?) with a shifter ...

1x2
    ...yeah, i've seen pictures of those- Ed "Big Daddy" Roth used to draw pictures of t-buckets (?) with a shifter sticking up over the top of the windshield...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Kartboy STS Installed!

got my short throw shifter today and put it in right away. all i got to say is WOW even without installing the bushings yet. at first glance the kartboy level looks a lot shorter then the stocker. i was afraid i was going to have problems hitting the armrest extention when shifting, but i didnt. after i got the lever in i was curious how it would feel with the stock bushings. i took it for a drive and it felt 10 times better then the stocker. smoother shifts and a shorter throw.

anyway it was a great purchase and would recommend it for anyone looking for a short throw shifter. bushings will be going in later today or tomorrow.

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    I have a kartboy sts and it is great. I also orderd the bushigs just incase i need to change mine in the furture
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

So I was installing my short shifter...

at my buddy Mikes house on Saturday after picking up my new rex. For some strange reason we couldn't find the standard hammer, and block of wood, which is what most people use to bang the shifter into the socket. So we had to improvise. The only piece of wood we could find in his garage was a 6 foot long, 8 inch wide board. So we figured, that would have to do. Then we looked some more for a hammer. The only one we could find was a gigantic sledge hammer. So we figured, again, that it would have to do.

So... I'm sitting in the drivers seat, shifter resting on the socket, Mike is supporting the ends of the sledge hammer and large board of wood sticking 6 feet out my door, and I held the hammer above the board, approx. 6-8 inches. Dropped it once, bang, shifter popped right into place.

Now, I've heard tons of people complaining about how "I couldn't get my shifter innnn, it's tooo harddd, I tried everryythingggg...." So to anyone who is about to do this mod, I suggest this method, as it worked perfectly.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

hmm, was this a kb ss? I dunno if I trust myself doin this method..seems kind of extreme...6 feet block of wood? wow, well kudos to u man!!
    WHooOOSH

~ 555 ~

lol, good thinking! But for people laking that size wood a rubber hammer works just fine! BTW leave it in context... lol
    '12 WRB Sedan

Yep, when everything else fails, get a bigger f'in hammer
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

i just installed mine myself this weekend......i gave it like 2 or 3 good shots with a wooden mallet and it went right in....total install took about 15 minutes...i loove it. i got the bushings now...anyone install them yet??

~~mike~~

Originally posted by iwannnarex
    i just installed mine myself this weekend......i gave it like 2 or 3 good shots with a wooden mallet and it went right in....total install took about 15 minutes...i loove it. i got the bushings now...anyone install them yet??

~~mike~~

Yup, I have them in. They basically make the whole shift linkage feel like a tighter unit. They STS and bushing combo are a great mod!
    '12 WRB Sedan

Method #2 is to just lean on it. I'm a 145lb weakling and it went in. May have to bounce a bit, but it'll go in easily enough.

Oh, and the bushings do make quite a difference. To get the old one out, press it against the post that it comes off of. Easy as pie.
    Trunkmonkey Racing
    Team Monkey Wrench

Kartboy SS

I'm thinking of installing a kartboy ss and bushings on my WRX. I hope this would not void the warranty. Has anybody been denied of warranty because of the kartboy ss?

I Support ClubWRX
    I installed my Kartboy Short Throw Shifter yesterday. After reading the detailed installation at ScoobyMods, I was ready to do the install.

The install was a piece of cake. My only problem was getting the new shifter to pop into its coupling. I tried several different weight hammers to knock the new shifter into place and they didn't work. If finally took a large hammer and a sponge(as to not wreck the top of the shifter), and with one smack, got it to go in. I also turnde the shift plate 180 around. But I didn't like that one of the tabs was near the shifter when the tranny was in second gear. So I took the shift plate out, filed only a little amount of material away from the plate at a angle, beburred the plate, and put the shift plate back to stock location. Before I put it back together, I turned on the car, and shifter from neutral to first in the driveway to make sure it wasn't contacting. It wasn't.

A lot of people say they don't like the notchiness of the shifter. I love it. Brings back memories of my EMPI quick shifter I had in my VW bug. The only thing I don't like about it is that it lowered the position of the shifter knob. And since I have the arm rest extention, I have already hit my elbow on it a few times. I may make a thread extension for the shifter on the lathe at work to raise the shifter knob to stock height again. We'll see.

The Kartboy Short Shifter is well worth the money.

yea i just recieved my STS also. The biggest problem i had wuz gettin the shifter to go in. I dunno for me at least i had to bang the hell out of it wit a hammer and a yellow book heh. Wuz almost tempted to just bang it in with the hammer itself. But all in all, the shifter is worth it.
    *04 Java Black WRX Sedan*
    Kartboy STS // Bushings // GReddy AirINX intake // Apexi N1 exhaust // Perrin up-pipe // HKS turbo timer // HKS SSQV BOV // Panasonic MXE CQ-DFX983U headunit // De-badged

does yours move left and right alot more when in gear then it did before?

mine does...but i am missing a piece...

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX The only thing I don't like about it is that it lowered the position of the shifter knob. And since I have the arm rest extention, I have already hit my elbow on it a few times. I may make a thread extension for the shifter on the lathe at work to raise the shifter knob to stock height again. We'll see.

The Kartboy Short Shifter is well worth the money. [/B]

umm....why would you go and do that?? if you like the stock height, go ahead and put your stock shifter back in and sell you KB to someone who actually wants a "Short Shifter" you would be defeating the whole purpose by doing that. IMHO

~~mike~~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.