Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK im convinced! I will get the bushings...

OK im convinced! I will get the bushings

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar

Kartboy Bushings or Tranny Oil

Well I have some money left over and I think I narrowed it down to either Kartboy Bushings or New Synthentic tranny oil. Which one should I choose and why? I have the STi Short Shifter by the way. Thanks in advance!

Jason
    "It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you race your car. You better learn that." - Ja Rule

Jason - Jasle@Centurytel.net
    Exterior & Appearance/Northwest Moderator

Vendor of Choice: World One Performance

I have the Kartboy bushings and i am pleased with the feel..!! i dont have syn. tranny fluid yet..but then again i dont even have 10k on my baby..i suppose after i hit 15K is when ill switch to syn.
    Peace

Tough call. I think I'd chose the synth tranny fluid. I've got the STi SS too, and while I know people say it'll still make a difference replacing the bushings, it's pretty low on my list. My $0.02
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Unhappy kartboy short shifter

hey, i'm really interested in investing in a kartboy short shifter, but i have some questions that i would like to know the answers to.

first of all, i don't want to go under the car if at all necessary. i have seen diagrams that only work on the center console where the shifter is and diagrams that also show the underside of the car also.

kartboy offers different packages to choose from:

just the short throw shifter or the short throw shifter plus the bushings...i have no idea what bushings are, but i'm guessing those are the things you need to install under the car. if i'm correct about this, do i need the bushings at all...if not, what do they do?

also, is kartboy a highly praised and highly reliable company to deal with, and are their any drawbacks to a short shifter?

thanks to everyone who addresses my questions and concerns

If you don't want to get under the car, just get the short throw without the bushings. All you have to do is remove the center console, all in all it takes about 15 minutes to complete. The bushings make for a much more notchy feel. The stock bushings are made out of rubber where as Kartboy's bushings are made out of polyurethane, much stiffer. The bushings only took about ten minutes to do and they are worth it.

Kartboy is great. They are great to deal with, product is great. It was the first modification that I made to my car.

Personally, I feel that the Kartboy short shifters feel great. I don't have one, but I've been in a WRX that does. Even dealers in my area will recommend it over the Subaru short shifter kit and any other kit when it comes to price and feel of the shifter.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    the bushings are an easy install, getting under the car is no big deal, I just drove it up on some ramps.. a worth while install IMO

Or would it be possible for the dealer to install the short shifter and bushing?
    02 Aspen White WRX Sportwagon

Originally posted by -=Ice-T=-
    Or would it be possible for the dealer to install the short shifter and bushing?
    Unless they sell Kartboy the dealer will usually only install the STI sts that they sell.
    '12 WRB Sedan

Originally posted by Judah
    It was the first modification that I made to my car.
    It was one of my first mods too.
    I love it.

I orderd a shifter/bushing/knob combo today from Kartboy. I am getting my car in about a month and was wondering if i would run into any problems down the road if i install my short shifter during the breakin period.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by PKer
    It was one of my first mods too.
    I love it.
    So far its my only mod.

I ordered the KB shifter and bushings the day after I bought the car.

installed the shifter right away, and just did the bushings about 3 hours ago. it makes a big difference and is well worth the extra 25 bucks. If your not sure whether or not to get the bushings, just get the package and save 10 bucks, then make up your mind later. I ordered it and I was only 50/50 on if I was gonna use it or not.

My maintenance exerience is limited to slightly more than changing oil, but the changing the shifter bushings was pretty easy, except for 1 nice cut on my thumb. btw, my car has 900 miles on it. Break-in period shouldnt matter, but for me, it was easy because the car was still very clean underneath.

Follow the instructions from the link at the Kartboy site, and while pushing with the rod, use a screw driver simultaneously to pry the oem bushing out. You will understand once you're under the car.

1x2
    ?????

When I look in the rex accessories brochure, the sooby short-throw shifter looks like an entire "assembly" (don't know the names of the parts, like "pivot arms") but it looks like an octopus, not "just" the stick part of a stick shift, like the kartboy... what gives?

Aside from the bushing change (which I believe is a great idea)would a reasonable mechanic get a different outcome if he/she just unscrewed the shift knob, threaded the stick down farther, then lopped off the top of the stick, and screwed a smaller knob on ?

Thanks,
    1x2

Originally posted by 1x2
    ?????
    Aside from the bushing change (which I believe is a great idea)would a reasonable mechanic get a different outcome if he/she just unscrewed the shift knob, threaded the stick down farther, then lopped off the top of the stick, and screwed a smaller knob on ?
    The DSM guys do that all the time, apparently Eclipses come with a freakishly long shift lever, alot of guys just cut and re-thread them. I don't know if that would work on the WRX or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.