Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short Throw Shifter & Bushings Discussion within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Heh.. well dark_rex, I'm an entire 140lbs of short French weakling, so mabye it depands on the tolerences. Kartboy uses ...

Heh.. well dark_rex, I'm an entire 140lbs of short French weakling, so mabye it depands on the tolerences. Kartboy uses Subaru ball joints, so anything is possable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i found the easiest way to get it in was to put the shifter knob on and hit it with the palm of my hand...went right in..
    later

Question Kartboy short shifter

I was looking at some pics of the shifter and I was wondering if it is just a shorter shifter than stock or is there a differant geometery and angle to it.

If it is just a shorter version of the stock than is there anything wrong with take a lathe and tap/dye to the stock one, chop it, thread it and receive about the same results as the Kartboys.

Thx for you thoughts.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is a different geometry. Essentially the ball is just move up the shaft, so the top part is shorter and the bottom part is longer, resulting in different leverage. Actually I think the whole thing is longer, with the top part the same length to keep the knob in the same position as stock.

I actually did just what you are talking about on my CRX. Even added a much shorter MOMO knob to make it eve shorter over-all. This did shorten up the throw, but it's not the same thing.

Chris
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

my knob now sits a little lower than stock. maybe 1/2". the throw is dramatically reduced though through the geometry of the piece.

dR

Kartboy short shifter

Hope I got the right forum.

Anyways. Been looking at some short shift kits and the Kartboy keeps popping up with good reviews. As does the STI.

Question one: Why in the heck is the STI version more than double the price? More bits, or is the "STI" bit inflating the price?

Question two: Will Kartboy fit a 2003 Wagon? The price point seems hard to beat, and as far as I can gather, install is a snap.

Thanks.

Dan

Anybody? I'd call em, but my work hours of late have been murder.

Pug
    A lot of the price difference is that the STI shifter is a complete assembly, while the Kartboy is just the lever. The Kartboy performs great, though, is easier to install, cheaper, and as far as I know it should fit your wagon just fine. Get the bushings as well for an even better feel.

If you look at these pics you can see the difference:

STI shifter, complete new linkage:

Kartboy, just the lever:

Excellent....thanks.

Its just that no sites specifically say "fits 2003 model". 99% chance its the same as 2002, but I really do detest sending stuff back. I'm def gonna get a short throw shifter, and the Kartboy seems like the most likley candidate, bushing(s) included. What I really want is for a Miata shifter to just appear in my car...that would make me smile.

Pug
    It'll be fine for 2003. :)

I have he Kartboy on my 03 Sedan it fit just fine and should be the same as the wagon!

Since we are on he topic how are the kartboy shifter bushings?
    Are they hard to install? Are they worth ordering?

Originally posted by MissWRX
    I have he Kartboy on my 03 Sedan it fit just fine and should be the same as the wagon!

Since we are on he topic how are the kartboy shifter bushings?
    Are they hard to install? Are they worth ordering?
    From what I have read(just that, read......not experienced) they are a very good idea. Said to remove any slop and make the shifter very precise. All the reviews I found mentioned that its a complimentary install, and should be done at the same time as the shifter, to negate some install time. Prolly not to bad, seeing as how yer shifter is a new install, and nothing should have rusted or siezed up yet. Kept seeing that small hands are a help in the tranny tunnel as well....thats gonna bite for me, I have bizarro large hands.

MissWRX- How do ya like the Kartboy? Smooth between gears or kinda clunky? I know finding gears now will be a bit harder(mechanical advantage and all), but overall do you like the new feel? The shift kit on my Integra was silky smooth after many miles, and its gonna be hard to compare too, it spoiled me a tad I think.

I totally hear what your saying since My last car was a civic. The kartboy really feels good, its a little notchy and takes some getting used to though .But overall Im glad I got it! You wont be dissapointed. I will probably pick up those bushings sometime in the near future...well Good Luck -Miss

Originally posted by brembo

All the reviews I found mentioned that its a complimentary install, and should be done at the same time as the shifter, to negate some install time.
    Actually, the bushings are completely independant of the shifter install, so it doesn't matter if you install them later. As far as the time it takes to install the bushings, it took me less than 10 minutes - ridiculously easy.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

I installed the kartboy bushing before I did the shifter becuase it was a simple 10 minute job. the shifter was easy but did have to grind off a little metal on the bracket plate because of slight contact in 1st gear. The bushing really make the shifter complete..even with the stock shifter in place the upgraded/stiffer bushing made for a much more positive shift. If you have the Kartboy short shift and have not done the Kartboy bushing, do yourself a favor and go ahead and do it, you'll enjoy the results.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast